I Am Traveling Through Alternate Universes

zardoz

Re: I Am Traveling Through Alternate Universes

regarding the fragility of memory, particularly my own ... I would generally be inclined to agree.
Although in this instance there was only around a year between reading the library version (new at the time) and me purchasing a copy.
I was quite keen on the book, which keeness should probably keep key elements in my mind over those 12-18 months. On my first reading I thought that certain plot twists were quite daring/unexpected and even mildly shocking.
So the lack of these twists in the purchased version was quite noticable.

As a crude example of a film which is resonant with many people and they have possibly seen it in the last 18 months, or remember it well.
Imagine you see Star Wars, Empire Strikes back, yet : Obi wan is happily alive, yet mentioned as a minor character and Luke embraces the darkside & his dad, Princess L is married to Luke and has a sister.
I think that is a rough parallel with my experience.

I am of couse aware that this book has a history which would tend to undermine anything associated with it. I was 20ish at the time though so I am hereby forgiven for liking it;)

>>>> edit <<<<<

after this thread re-kindled this ancient memory .. and since the intervening invention of the information superhighway, I stumbled across this explanatory gem
http://www.heinleinsociety.org/rah/works/n...vsstranger.html

there were actually two different versions !!!!

In 1991 they released his uncut version, the early version being deemed too dangerous (?)

>>> one more edit
reading the changes though they barely seem to scratch the surface of the changes I remember

Perhaps the Greg Egan permutation hypothesis is at work and the universe is protecting its own by retroactively producing an explanation before my reminiscences produce a ripple of inconvenience, in which case I fear for 'Unintentional's continued existance!

PKD of course was edited out, sadly, in 1985

Cubby

You're right, there are two versions of.. Star Wars.. the former would make one hesitant to ever approach the one given to sterilized public view. But let's face it, all stories are stories retold. If you want one to never change then make a movie/book/story of it, and watch how many people think of something different for it.

More freaks in the freak kingdom, at least we're no longer rushing to psychiatrists to convulse in electric ecstasy as was recently just left behind in "mental" health practices. What glory these adjustment procedures gained for humanity.

"The universe generally despises a paradox ... and generally launches a retroactive cover-up operation"
I've never witnessed the universe try and cover up anything I've witnessed of it, I leave that to my over-rational mind to tell me that what I've been apart of can't possibly coincide with other people's realities.

tchetcha

Hello Unintencional, Triad and Klyla.
I don't think you are experiencing travel trought parallel universes. I thing you are experiencing alter-v?s, meaning: same place, same hour, no feeling of travelling but diferent building, diferent car...
I've read about alter-v?s the first time in a different forum where people where talking about the results of the email experiment they've done with Jonh Titor, and I though it was quite interesting. But these people only had these alter-v?s only for a few weeks...
You are having them for how long? (this question is for the 3 of you).
I don't know if I can post links to a different forum? Can I??
But you can search "alter-v?" and "Email Experiment" in Google and maybe you can reach it.

darkbreed

I dont know but maybe its related to dreams and astral projection.

One example, in dreams/astral projection you can find yourself in a surronding that is quite familiar, but some slight details may be different than normally. Such as a building being different etc.

And then again are dreams and astral projection related to travel to other dimensions, and personally i think paralell dimensions/timelines from my experience. Sometimes it can be experienced as real as this physical planes perception, and one is not aware of being in a dream or doing astral projection, and when one "wake up" back here sometimes one wonder if it was real or just a dream.

Maybe you've astrally been travelling between different paralell dimensions, and in those things have been slightly different than here.

As a side note:
I had some weird experiences some years back, where i had some very strange objects just appearing in my apartment in various places. There were 2 objects mainly "popping up", one was a tiny metallic cup (kinda like a grale) and the other was a tiny funnel. I have no idea how they got there, where they were from or what they could even be used to. They were a couple cm in size.

At one occation, i saw with my own eyes materialization of an object, but that was some object i allready had: a pen. I was sitting writing in a notebook, and i dropped the pen on the floor, but hitting the floor was 2 identical pens, not only one. It was quite strange to say the least.

zillamutt

I have had several things disappear and reappear in different locations.
I had a videotape that I took with me when I moved from NY to SC, everybody watched the tape in SC, after that I couldn't find the tape, the next time I visited NY, the tape was sitting there.
The same thing happened to a book. I bought it in SC, read it in SC, and told my nephew he could read it when I was done, when I was done with it, I couldn't find it, the next time I was in NY-- there it was.
these two things happened 5 years apart, so it wasn't just a coincidence.
I also had a strange occurence with my anatomy, I went for chest xrays because i had pneumonia, and i was told that I had 1/2 a rib missing and if I had ever broken it or anything ..., a year later I went back for more xrays and I asked about the rib and they told me there was nothing missing and never was.

thenumbersix

Since reading almost all of this post the other day it's 'caused' an experience. I've just finished The Beach again, read it when it came out, and I'm sure there was a bit where he went chipping through the woods like the Crash Bandicoot bit in the film, yet this time as I was nearing the end I was getting more confident that it wasn't there, and it wasn't. I think you've broken my head :grin:

I also don't remember it finishing quite like that. I do have a habit of 'skim reading', specifically so I can pick a book up again and get more out of them, if it's good enough. Everything definitely goes in though, I often find myself having to go back a couple of pages to 'catch up' if I haven't picked it up in a while, and my overall recollection is pretty good, I'm usually subconciously aware that we don't remember unless we make a point at the time of the event to store it.

I agree that we are constantly 'shifting across' different realities against our perception of 'movement' through time. It's ourselves that guide our movement, and the more aware we are becoming the more adept we are at it.

The world we live in is merely the way we perceive it. The universe has to be more than our meager senses can translate it or we wouldn't still be cavemen on a once friendly rock ?

XDrFirefly

Thank you all for the new wonderful ideas, I have to run around in my head. I'm going to have to make up a brand new theory on these 'shifts'. If anyone could tell me time, age, location (Coords would be fine) when you first knew your 'shift' happened. thank you

Dr FF