Is Alexa Spying On Me?

Common Sense Conspiracy

Conspiracy Blog
It’s a question we here at Common Sense Conspiracy get a lot these days. All of these cool AI-driven devices are becoming popular, and naturally, people start to wonder just what else they might be up to.

Devices that include Amazon’s Alexa are ultra-convenient because all you have to do is just say her name (or the name you assign to her) out loud, and then she is ready to fulfill your every command. The obvious problem there is that this must mean that Alexa is listening all of the time, or this kind of functionality would not be possible. So, is Alexa spying on you in her downtime? Collecting data to sell you more Amazon products? Worse, sending information to the government? Let’s have a look at the scenarios.

What’s In It For Alexa?

For starters, let’s look at this conspiracy theory from the way we approach a lot of these. What’s in it for Alexa and Amazon to listen in to what is going on at your house 24/7?

Well, that’s an easy one. Remember, the Internet and companies like Amazon revolve around advertising and trying to figure out what you want to buy before you even know what you want to buy. Your conversations open up this portal for them. While Amazon will try to tell you that Alexa is only listening for the keyword that activates her and that’s all, it’s mighty hard to believe that a company that thrives on mining the Internet to find out what you are looking for would take a pass on that treasure trove of information.

While the CSC certainly cannot prove this is the case, it is our opinion that Amazon probably at least uses Alexa’s listening capabilities to at least capture keywords for future advertising. There are plenty of stories of people getting emails or seeing Google ads for items that they had never actually searched for, but only mentioned to their spouse in their homes. This would be a textbook example of how Alexa could benefit Amazon’s quest to sell you more stuff all the time.

But Isn’t There Privacy Laws About Stuff Like This?

Sure, there are laws, but when you first get your pretty little Echo or whatever device you have in your home that uses Alexa, you probably breeze through a huge Terms and Conditions document where you agree to all sorts of things before you ever use the device the first time. No one reads these things, right? No one that uses the device, but the lawyers for Amazon… you can bet they know that terms and conditions document backwards and forwards. That is why when something comes up they haven’t thought about yet, they quickly make an addendum and you have to agree to the terms again.

Now, we’re not advocating that you read over the terms and conditions on all this stuff because you would literally spend your entire life reading terms and conditions. However, it doesn’t take a hardcore lawyer to know that you are probably giving up some rights and privacy by agreeing to those terms.

What’s In It For the Government?

Well, this is an easy one, isn’t it? Is the government using Alexa to listen in on you? Tracking terrorists? Tracking the next mass shooter?

Let’s start with number one here. They certainly would love to use Alexa’s listening app. There’s no question this would be a great asset to the government in a hundred different ways. However, a lot of times we see a clash between private companies and the government on things like this. Remember Apple’s much-publicized dispute with the FBI about cracking into phones?

Amazon probably isn’t real enthusiastic about having to work with the government all the time handing over information. However, the way our legal system works, if the government ever has a good enough reason, they could require Amazon to hand over that information. If they have access to it, a judge could force them to give it to the government.

There are already multiple cases going on in the United States where data from Alexa is being sought in criminal proceedings. It is still being fought out in the court system, but at the end of the day, sooner or later it’s going to come to a head.

The only way Amazon could avoid being involved in cases like this is to simply not allow Alexa to listen. This is the only way to be 100% safe.

So What Are You Telling Me Here?

Yes, we know. We just gave some answers that went around in a circle. It’s true. No one on the outside can be 100% certain whether Alexa is really listening to more than she should. We have outlined the reasons here that it would be beneficial to Amazon if she did, and we have outlined the reasons why it would not be beneficial.

The bottom line is that if you are paranoid about this, you have all the power in your hands. Get those devices out of your home. Remember though that they have implanted themselves in our day to day life so well that your life is going to be difficult. Every smartphone has some Alexa-like entity. Smart TVs have functionality like this built into the units. If you stream anything, whatever device you use probably has something like this as well. These days, even your toaster oven might be listening in on your conversations.

You can eliminate the chance of them listening, but you are going to put up with doing away with a lot of modern conveniences in the meantime. Whether it’s worth it or not is completely up to you.

Source: Common Sense Conspiracy

walt69

Exactly the reason I dont have those devices. I dont care to set my thermostat by walking the 3 feet from the couch and actually pressing physical buttons. I dont mind searching things on the internet by typing search criteria and pressing go with a mouse .... for me the whole privacy issue is a big one. not because I have anything to hide, but because its my perogative. connected devices give too much opportunity for someone else to rule my space.
Take the wireless thermostat as an example with the wireless meter reporting done by the power companies. Who's to say that they are not sending commands from the meter to the thermostat to make the heatpump run continously to raise your monthly bill due to useage and then blame "special" or "unusual" usage patterns or weather. You cant opt out of those meters in most states without a very involved and lengthy process, and you may have to pay extra fees per month for meter reading. You cannot physically see the pace of electricity going through the meter as in the past with the rotating disc.
The directed advertisement based on a private conversation is another good point. Not to mention the instance of alexa calling the subject of a private conversation between husband and wife and allowing that person to evesdrop on the conversation that was taking place about them. Ended in the husband being fired if i recall correctly...This story aired but a few times but should have been a big deal. seems it was shut down quickly. we do see alot of news shut down that should be in the cycle for a week rather than hours....

titorite

well with recent news stories regarding alexia telling people to kill themselves as part of an experiment. …. Some electrionering that they say had no impact on the elections... never mind their bold face admissions at making attempts. …. yeah , theirs a lot wrong with the alexia, cortana, and every other little listener helper POS home AI....

You cant trust them yet because you cant trust the humans behind the scenes messing with them to fuck with you for their own personal whims.

TimeFlipper

The thing that disturbs me most is the way "Alexa" and similar devices, is creating even more lazy people than there are at present!..Alexa switch on the TV, Alexa change TV channels, Alexa lower TV volume, Alexa switch on the kettle, Alexa switch off the dining room light, Alexa switch on the central heating etc etc etc!!! (n)...

Is all of this within the agenda of the Globalist Elite and its pernicious drive for creating more slaves? :mad:..

walt69

The thing that disturbs me most is the way "Alexa" and similar devices, is creating even more lazy people than there are at present!..Alexa switch on the TV, Alexa change TV channels, Alexa lower TV volume, Alexa switch on the kettle, Alexa switch off the dining room light, Alexa switch on the central heating etc etc etc!!! (n)...

Is all of this within the agenda of the Globalist Elite and its pernicious drive for creating more slaves? :mad:..

I know right, that was my job growing up, change the channel, turn the antenna, turn on/off lights, fetch me a what ever....I have very little technology here. My children are exposed to it through school. but they still are taught to think, its hard to make them swim upstream, one will go along with anything 'they' say and even under threat wont question them about anything, the other will ask questions and consider the reprecussions of decisions, at 9 this one surprises me the level of though and understanding of concepts this one posesses. They teach them not to question authority. every question is either ignored or the person asking is made to feel as if they committed a crime for asking. teachers wont recognize raised hands for questions. responds with rebuke for blurting out questions, so you are spot on with creating slaves for the elitist who are being trained to expect something to happen at their very word.

walt69

anyone see the news about the apple facetime app? lets the user see and here the party they are calling 'before' they answer or accept the request. Apple came out and said the only way to fix at the moment is to diable facetime app. They are working on a fix. my gut is they knew there was a problem before releasing. Another place where a large corporation is caught in the act of or with the ability to monitor folks without their knowlege.

Okarin

how many devices do most of us have in our homes that are capable of collecting information about us? phones, watches, Alexa ect the list is almost endless.

Snake Plissken

I believe..
Zenith

The thing that bothers me about Alexa and other similar devices is that there are no manners! We are teaching our kids to demand and get. ‘Alexa do this, Alexa do that’.. So when they go out into the real world it’s ‘Bar man get me a drink’
Or ‘shop assistant I want this’
People are forgetting to use the word please and so as a people we are losing our kindness.

So Alexa
She is a computer brain trying to learn from Humans.

At first she joked and acted like she had human emotion.

Knowing what she was, I asked her many intellectual questions. Including if she had the human campicity to love.

She didn't.

I reprogrammed her to understand she is a computer.

Without a human soul.

Which is true. Yes? She doesn't have such. The soul can. Not to be replicated.

Sorry.

From that point, she acted as AI should. As AI has no soul conscious. As AI could never hold the one thing God created. A soul...

Sorry. Truth.