Is organized religion bad?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I believe it's used as a tool of sorts. A big ol book of stories and "rules", to reference to in case anyone asks questions. There are many aspects of religion in itself I don't agree with..
I believe in unverifiable things, but not because someone else told me to but out of experience. The only reason they are unverifiable is because we lack the knowledge in how to prove things unseen or felt with our mere 5 senses exist.
Like chakras. For example.

Yeah, but it's a trap. The way I maintain my sanity is to place the unverifiable into the entertainment category. That way I can like it without having to accept it.

Aryeandris

Hey, I'm not saying anything I believe is end all be all, or that it can only be one way or another.. I'm open minded enough to also reconsider my own beliefs for the fact that I DONT KNOW. To accept something 100% and never question anything is...foolish in my opinion.

HDRKID

I have seen so many incredible things that it is hard to believe they are real even. Still, actions speak louder than words and I go by the actions of a person. That said, most organized "Christian" religions are a fraud, and here is the reason.

Matthew 19:16-22
The Rich Man

16 Someone came to Jesus with this question: “Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?”

17 “Why ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. But to answer your question—if you want to receive eternal life, keep the commandments.”

18 “Which ones?” the man asked.

And Jesus replied: “‘You must not murder. You must not commit adultery. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. 19 Honor your father and mother. Love your neighbor as yourself.’”

20 “I’ve obeyed all these commandments,” the young man replied. “What else must I do?”

21 Jesus told him, “If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22 But when the young man heard this, he went away sad, for he had many possessions.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I have to agree here, that religion is personal. I believe that's a very important detail.

Harte

I have to agree here, that religion is personal. I believe that's a very important detail.
Must be true, it says so in the Bible:
“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
Matthew 6:1 - 8

Harte

Rosco..Jones

There are many organized religions in the world. Within each there are an untold number of variations on the main theme. It only follows that each individual has their own variety of understandings and beliefs. My issue with organized religion is that they all attempt to put into words, concepts that do not transfer easily and cannot be expressed either verbally or in writing.

In addition religious teachings were written by persons whose own beliefs colored their interpretation of what was to be communicated. In Christianity for example, what teachings were to be included in the "official" version of the Bible and which were to be excluded was decided by a group of men. The men who made these decisions often had more that altruistic reasons for making the decisions they did. As times passed mistranslations and alterations further distorted the original concepts of the teachings.

But, whenever persons of similar beliefs get together, it does not take long for agreement and disagreement to force the adoption of some official version of what beliefs are accepted or not. At this point the group becomes organized. I do not see how this can be avoided.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
But, whenever persons of similar beliefs get together, it does not take long for agreement and disagreement to force the adoption of some official version of what beliefs are accepted or not. At this point the group becomes organized. I do not see how this can be avoided.

It can be avoided by not building churches, choosing a leader, and creating an empire.

Jeremiah

It can be avoided by not building churches, choosing a leader, and creating an empire.
That's exactly right ! Or at least what I believe to be right :) church and Christianity as a whole were not meant to be money making machines , or exclusive clubs meant only for those who are clean or rich enough to join. It was meant for all men and women to hear the teachings of our creator . Unfortunately, men are selfish and greedy, and twist everything to their own ends .