IS THERE REALY SUCH A THING AS A SOUL MATE

taykair

It may be that we will all become (if we aren't already are) one consciousness.

So, yes.

Think of it: Your worst enemy right now will, one day, become a part of you.

Cirrus

It may be that we will all become (if we aren't already are) one consciousness.

So, yes.

Think of it: Your worst enemy right now will, one day, become a part of you.

Resisting... urge... to make... statement that involves a certain political figure becoming a part of me... and then... making fun of his yeti jungle downstairs....

Anywho... I believe that there are soul mates. As in plural. We have the ability to develop deep bonds with other people under certain conditions.

Kairos

No. There are differing degrees of compatibility and then the grace to endure a marriage till somebody dies. Men in particular need to disabuse themselves of this soul mate stuff. We are losing connection with one another and focused too much on women. Women are different than us. If you want a soul mate then you probably need a best friend, which is another man. That's my two cents, but I am sure plenty of dudes will get butthurt over it.

The_Observer

Everyone is an evolving puzzle piece. Some pieces fit together better than others. Was one piece destined to be joined to another specific piece? No. Do people refer to soul mates as two perfectly fitting pieces? Yes. Can the shape of your puzzle piece change over time? Yes. You can outgrow other pieces of the puzzle that is life. The idea that two souls were destined to be with one another is simply a notion we create because it makes sense to us and allows us to be comfortable.

The_Observer

But it IS possible.
The outcome is possible. The fact it was destined is not probable. Destiny is knowing the events that will necessarily happen to a particular person or thing in the future. Knowing that every conceivable outcome of life has occurred and all of existence has already happened, we're just sentences on a page of a book observing ourselves within this page. You can't realistically believe that in every single reality or dimension a specific outcome was derived in a certain situation. It's inevitable that it will both occur and not occur. Where it doesn't occur, is not destiny.

Kairos

As a female I disagree...the sex of the soulmate is irrelevant. It's two souls

Men and women are very different, with different evolutionary psychologies. When a man speaks of finding a soul mate, he is talking about finding a woman who possesses the virtues of a man, but that's just silly. Men who do this are looking for what is essentially a man in a woman's body.

I'd imagine the same is true of women who seek male soul mates.

You should search for a mate who is compatible with you and is not likely to destroy your life (which, for men these days, is not good odds).

Males of our species form troops (or gangs). Homo sapiens is a patrilocal species in which females migrated between troops of males that secured some territory. That void in most western men, in my humble opinion, is the total destruction of our fraternity and male spaces. They don't really need so-called soul mates. They need fraternity with the bonding, loyalty, and sense of belonging that entails.

I can't speak for women, but I'd imagine their problems are similar, though unique to their own nature.

TimeFlipper

Men and women are very different, with different evolutionary psychologies. When a man speaks of finding a soul mate, he is talking about finding a woman who possesses the virtues of a man, but that's just silly. Men who do this are looking for what is essentially a man in a woman's body.

I'd imagine the same is true of women who seek male soul mates.

You should search for a mate who is compatible with you and is not likely to destroy your life (which, for men these days, is not good odds).

Males of our species form troops (or gangs). Homo sapiens is a patrilocal species in which females migrated between troops of males that secured some territory. That void in most western men, in my humble opinion, is the total destruction of our fraternity and male spaces. They don't really need so-called soul mates. They need fraternity with the bonding, loyalty, and sense of belonging that entails.

I can't speak for women, but I'd imagine their problems are similar, though unique to their own nature.

Maybe you have missed the point...

IMHO a soul mate "transcends" evolutionary differences, searching for a mate, or wether we are a patriarchal species etc etc...
The term "soul" mate represents the "spiritual side" of a person who is entirely compatible with the "spiritual side" of another person..
The essence of the soul is like the "blue-print" (Spiritual DNA) of a person that is being formed, right up to the moment of their death..

Personally i dont believe that we always meet our true soul mate, for example on our lifetime on this Earth, perhaps we meet them in another incarnation....The very term soul mate, appears to me, to have started within some form of Religion...However, i could be completely wrong :)..