John Titor's Non-lethal Weapon

Darkwolf

Re: JT's non lethal weopon...

Hmmm. I wonder if they'll find a \"state side\" use for this technology. Like in, you know, the National Guard in the event of \"rioters\" here. How about riot police? Sure would have come in handy during the RNC and all those pesky demonstrators exercising their freedom of assembly and free speech. Oops, I meant to say those \"rioters disrupting the RNC.\" LOL They don't even care to hide this stuff anymore. Maybe they're sending \"dissenters\" a warning. Freakin' amazing.

That is certianly a warning, and any riot control technology will certianly at least find it's way into the hands of at least the federal enforcement agencies. Has anyone mentioned a federal police force yet?

CaryP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Darkwolf\")</div>
That is certianly a warning, and any riot control technology will certianly at least find it's way into the hands of at least the federal enforcement agencies. Has anyone mentioned a federal police force yet?[/b]

I don't remember anyone saying anything about the federal police force on the boards. But we have discussed in chat. Even found pictures of the already patches for uniforms and an ID card. Yeah, it's coming.

Cary

KiraSjon

Cary - I do not remember that episode of chat. Do you still have those links and whatnot? I'd love to take a look! :)

CaryP

Yeah Kira. Here's a link for you.

http://www.greaterthings.com/News/federal_police.htm

FEMA.jpg

I even managed to copy the patch for the federal police that will be under FEMA. Like I said, it's coming.

Cary

StarLord

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Darkwolf\")</div>
Hmm, wonder how hard it would be to snag one of those (I collect LEO patches)[/b]

Let's hope you don't have to do a stint to get a patch Darkwolf....

optimist

This strikes me as really freakin sick. DOJ is funding it.

Wis. Professor to Test Stun Guns on Pigs

Professor in Wisconsin to Test Stun Guns on Pigs to Find Out Why Some People Die From Them

By RYAN J. FOLEY Associated Press Writer

The Associated Press

Mar. 29, 2005 - A professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison plans to study whether stun guns alone can kill pigs, or whether other medical factors must be at play as part of an effort to understand why 70 people have died in North America since 2001 after being shocked by Tasers. ?

Led by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, outraged animal rights activists are calling for an end to the two-year study by John Webster, a professor emeritus of biomedical engineering.

Police hail stun guns as a nonlethal way to restrain unruly suspects. But critics blame the weapons for dozens of deaths, and police departments are reviewing how they use the devices, which shoot two small darts carrying about 50,000 volts of electricity to temporarily paralyze people.

Webster wants to test his hypothesis that Taser-related deaths were the result of heart failure fueled by drug use and other medical factors, not electrocution by the devices. To do so, researchers will begin in the next month studying how Taser electrical currents flow through 150-pound pigs.

Of three groups of pigs in the study, one will be given cocaine, one will be shocked with the devices, and one will be given both cocaine and electric blasts. Some will be subjected to Webster's \"SuperTaser,\" up to 30 times as powerful as the model police use. All pigs will be on anesthesia so they won't feel pain.

\"If the hypothesis is correct that Tasers do not electrocute the heart, then why are people dying in custody after they have been shot by Tasers? The people on our team have hypotheses why that's true and we intend to answer that question,\" Webster said. \"Our goal is to save lives.\"

Animal rights activists say the study, funded by a $500,000 U.S. Department of Justice grant, is cruel and unnecessary. They plan protests on the UW-Madison campus starting this week.

\"Shocking more pigs is only going to add their numbers to the Taser-related death statistics,\" Patti Gilman, whose brother died after being shot with a Taser in British Columbia in June 2004, wrote in a letter to the school. \"Robert's death never should have happened. And neither should these experiments.\"

In a letter to PETA this month, UW-Madison Chancellor John Wiley said the study could have a significant impact on the use of stun guns. He said researchers have no other alternative than to use pigs, whose hearts are more like humans than any other species.

Other suspects may have died if potassium that is released into the blood stream after muscle contractions caused by a Taser shock reached the heart, Webster said. Cocaine use might be another factor, he said.

Webster's research is the first independent look at how Tasers affect pigs' hearts. Research published in January sponsored by Taser International, the Scottsdale, Ariz.-based maker of the devices, found that 15 times the charge from ordinary stun guns was needed to electrocute the heart of even the smallest pigs studied.

Taser said Webster is well-qualified to study the devices, which it says are safe. The company says Tasers are being used by more than 7,000 law enforcement, military and correctional agencies in the world.

\"We welcome Professor Webster's research as it can provide continued independent research concerning the safety of our life-saving Taser technology,\" said company spokesman Steve Tuttle.

Taser research on animals dates to 1989, involving dogs, bulls and pigs, but Webster's study is the only known such research now under way, according to PETA.

While all the pigs will be filled with anesthesia, they will be euthanized after the experiments, said Webster, who predicted about 30 pigs would be used. The research could create a computer model that would eliminate the need for more animal testing, he said.

\"I think this is an outstanding example of one of those questions that can only be answered using animals,\" said Eric Sandgren, a UW-Madison professor who heads a committee that oversees animal research. \"Boy, there's been a lot of deaths from this. If the alternative is to go back to using bullets, let's find out how to make this safe.\"

That's a worthy goal, but researchers should instead study humans who have survived Taser shocks and autopsy reports of those who died, said Laura Yanne of PETA. She promised an \"unprecedented\" protest on Tuesday, but would not release details.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory...TC-RSSFeeds0312

StarLord

Lets see you have a charge of 50,000 volts, the body's nerve impulses are a mix of chemical and electrical signals, the Heart's rhythm from starting P wave to the end T wave is started by a electrical impulse and continued on through each site, Ventricular fibrulation or Atrial fibrulation due to a screwed up electrical impulses keeps blood from flowing naturaly to the brain, Lungs or Body... So if the electrical current of that much doesn't skew a normal heart rhythm creating ectopic electrical impulses permanantly, and on the other hand the brain has a possibility of overloading whereby no electrical impulses are passed...... so the autonomic system shuts down..... hmmmmm....
Perhaps 50,000 volts just might be too much you think??
Rubber bullets sound alot safer to me.