Killed yourself in the past?

CaryP

Re: Killed yourself in the past?

Dr Rush, ignore everthing posted above, it's all rubbish. :p

Seriously, everyone is entitled to there own opinions, so ignore that comment.

Hey Jim, if the comment is to be ignored, how about not posting it. I know you're opinionated, but that "everything posted above, it's all rubbish" is not the kind of comment that "will win friends and influence people." Maybe that's not your goal. My only comment here is to check your propensity to insult others. Thanks for your kind consideration.

Cary

Lucidus

PARADOX...

If you went back into the past and killed your self would you still die?:huh:

I have to agree with Jim's conclusions here, albeit in a less abrasive way.:)

Most, if not all, time travel paradoxes of this type arise because of a particular error in logic. That error is in describing a single event as if it were two different events. If the TT's younger self was not killed, and we know that he wasn't because he survived to get older and eventually time travel, then he cannot be and will not be killed. Because of the complexities of human behavior, it is immpossible to say what exactly would happen but one thing is certain. The younger version of the TT will survive.

Lucidus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"darkbreed\")</div>
There is no paradox, multiple timelines/paralell dimensions solves it all
:)[/b]

Yep muliple timelines and other dimensions can solve it, but they are not necessary. Consistancy can resolve the paradox in an easier and more occamically correct way.

Chronodynamic Jim

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"lucidus\")</div>
Yep muliple timelines and other dimensions can solve it, but they are not necessary. Consistancy can resolve the paradox in an easier and more occamically correct way.[/b]

Arrgh, beat me to it!

Occam's Razor. Look it up.

Joejoe

If you went back in time and killed yourself, in the future you would not of existed in order to go back to killyourself so in theory you couldent kill yourself.

Chronodynamic Jim

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Joejoe\")</div>
If you went back in time and killed yourself, in the future you would not of existed in order to go back to killyourself so in theory you couldent kill yourself.[/b]

Xactly. Can't B done.

mr_bumpkin

I don't think anything you do in the past can affect your current self. If you made your past life happier, you wouldn't remember it.

The moment your modified future self steps into that time machine, they wink out of existence and you (perhaps unfortunately) take their place with no memory of what their life was like.

Just my guess for now.

As far as multiple similar timelines/dimensions: Any dimension similar to this one will have a nearly identical copy of you in it, right? Well, if you move over 5 dimensions to the right when you go into the past, this won't stop your copy, 5 dimensions to the left from moving to your own timeline in their time jump and doing exactly whatever you do while in this past also.

XDrFirefly

I'm not sure why so many people want to go back in time and kill themselves. I can think of a lot of better things to do then try to track down my self and kill me. I guess i'm just cocky or something... Maybe to selfish, who is that, of just my shadow, not a time traveling version of me tring to kill me to see what happens...

Dr FF