Killed yourself in the past?

Chris Genoa

Re: Killed yourself in the past?

One reason why I could see someone wanting to go back in time and kill themselves is because they had a horribly painful life. And instead of just committing suicide in the present they want to go back in time and kill themselves at the point when things started to go bad. The hope there is that doing so will wipe yourself out from the timeline from that point on and thereby wipe out all that suffering for you and your younger selves.

Imagine yourself as a beam of light, shining out from your mother's womb and twisting and turning through time up to the point you're at now. Now if you go back in time and kill your younger self, then you're basically blocking the light beam at that earlier point. It's like putting a piece of paper in front of a flashlight. So everything from that point on would be extinguished.

That is of course assuming we all go through time like continuous beams of light.

Tenshi

I think if you travelled back in time to try and kill yourself, it would be impossible to do so. Nature would create a situation that would stop you from doing it no matter how many times you tried.

Well Ravelled

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Tenshi\")</div>
I think if you travelled back in time to try and kill yourself, it would be impossible to do so. Nature would create a situation that would stop you from doing it no matter how many times you tried.[/b]

Or maybe - nature (or physics) dictates that we can't go back in time.

pauli

\"The wild men responds, \"Just trying to break the cycle!\" and lunges at him with a knife. Bob deftly avoids his attacker and manages to crack him on the head with a frying pan. For good measure and in a fit of self interest Bob cracks him on the head again. To his horror he realises that the man is dead. Bob just killed him and he didn't even know who he was. Looking through the man's wallet, he comes to the startling conclusion that the man is an older version of him. Upon finding a little time machine in the man's pocket, Bob realizes that the man is him from the future.\"
Hm... Jim... So you are saying that everything in life is predetermined?? And that we have no choice at all for our actions?? This is how I read what you said. What if Bob takes a different tack? What if he decides to end/break the cycle himself? All he need do is take that timemachine and destroy it - step on it, cut it up with scissors or break it with a rock - and the cycle ends of itself. Of course, that would only be possible with the alternative scenario, but I don't favor strict predetermination. It doesn't make sense to me. I think there is a little bit of both in this world.

TTN

My personal theory is that the timeline will make a loop back to when the time traveller went back into time and killed him self. For example if John was to travel back to 1983 to kill him self, that time line would make a loop and start again from '83 but with no John.

Billy Pilgrim

Hmmm- I theorize that if you killed yourself or kept your parents from meeting, you would be erased from the timeline, but since you are now travelling outside of chronological time, you will continue to exist.