Living in a glass dome?

Beholder

Remote summer houses in Sweden are currently on sale without any competing bidders, because the owners can't take the risk of paying $1800 per month in additional electricity at capped prices. Insulating a 19:th century home would destroy the original building material and be like building a new house from scratch.
Yrestahed 91, Uppsala Uppsala kommun

How hard would it be to create a fully self-sustainable greenhouse covering a poorly insulated summer house, a well, a solar farm, trees to produce own oxygen and enough land to live on using automated farming robots?

MODAT7

Interesting idea, but probably not cost effective. You'd need steel frameworks to hold moderately thick greenhouse glass around a very large area. Anything less would fall apart during the first major storm. You wouldn't want that coming crashing down on you.

I've been toying with the idea of putting a cabin on some family land I inherited awhlie back. To make it practical for semi or maybe fully off grid, I keep coming back to thick wall studs filled with closed cell spray foam. As an example, maybe that cabin in the picture can have it's interior gutted, spray foamed, put new interior wall coverings over it, and then replace the windows with casement windows. Casements aren't too hard to DIY build and are far superior for keeping drafts out than the traditional sliding windows. All this still involves some cost, but it would be cheaper than the greenhouse. I think you have experience already with the other stuff needed to survive winter.

How hard would it be to create a fully self-sustainable greenhouse covering a poorly insulated summer house, a well, a solar farm, trees to produce own oxygen and enough land to live on using automated farming robots?
...so you're really moving to Mars??? :-O

Beholder

Interesting idea, but probably not cost effective. You'd need steel frameworks to hold moderately thick greenhouse glass around a very large area. Anything less would fall apart during the first major storm. You wouldn't want that coming crashing down on you.

I've been toying with the idea of putting a cabin on some family land I inherited awhlie back. To make it practical for semi or maybe fully off grid, I keep coming back to thick wall studs filled with closed cell spray foam. As an example, maybe that cabin in the picture can have it's interior gutted, spray foamed, put new interior wall coverings over it, and then replace the windows with casement windows. Casements aren't too hard to DIY build and are far superior for keeping drafts out than the traditional sliding windows. All this still involves some cost, but it would be cheaper than the greenhouse. I think you have experience already with the other stuff needed to survive winter.

...so you're really moving to Mars??? :-O
If earth looks like Mars 30 years from now after fusion power depleted the ocean, it's better to have your own water trapped inside than giving away your urine for free. I'm going to need a lot of jars.

BlastTyrant

I always thought that would be cool, your own personal bubble so to speak, be able to change the weather like you're changing your thermostat. Fully independent from anything outside, i feel like i have seen a movie or tv show about it.

Imagine owning like 10 acres and having your own personal bubble around it, no one can see in, but be able to set it to how ever you want it, feel like summer? Set it to summer, feel like snow? Have it snow for a day.

Wind7

Staff
I always thought that would be cool, your own personal bubble so to speak, be able to change the weather like you're changing your thermostat. Fully independent from anything outside, i feel like i have seen a movie or tv show about it.

Imagine owning like 10 acres and having your own personal bubble around it, no one can see in, but be able to set it to how ever you want it, feel like summer? Set it to summer, feel like snow? Have it snow for a day.

You made me think of The Rotunda of Gateways inside the Sanctum Sanctorum
from the Doctor Strange movies.

1667631480528.png
1667631497382.png
1667631538149.png
1667631567848.png

Wouldn't THAT be cool ?

:)