Memories of days gone by...

Honestly my fondest memory's are climbing tree's back in Delbo Minnesota when i was young i remember climbing tree's all the time on my grandpas farm, me and my cousin would always be in the tree's or running through the corn field playing shredder didnt care if spiders or bugs got on us or that our hands got sticky from the pine tree sap, we just had a-lot of fun climbing the tree's. i wish i could recreate that happiness some times as i grow older but now a-days i am afraid of heights and do what i can to avoid spiders and bugs lol.

A little bit of Minnesota trivia: When I was six years old, I attended a one-room
schoolhouse in rural southeast Minnesota near Utica, Minnesota.

I have a lot of memories of that old schoolhouse and the dairy farm; I was
raised on so long ago.

A little bit of Minnesota trivia: When I was six years old, I attended a one-room
schoolhouse in rural southeast Minnesota near Utica, Minnesota.

I have a lot of memories of that old schoolhouse and the dairy farm; I was
raised on so long ago.
That would be an interesting read for sure, opmmur...I would and I am sure that we would like to hear about some of your stories from good ole Minnesota! Fire away when you can. I lived in Albert Lea, Owatonna, and Faribault, which are in southern Minnesota.

35621-3.webp

I miss the good ol' days when my adopted Mama lived in a two-story Victorian home at 719 N. Spurgeon Street in Santa Ana (the house is still there). That was back in the days when Santa Ana was one of the most beautiful cities in O.C. The house was full of kids and visitors of all ages. We ate homemade tortillas and cheesy beans as fast as Mama could make them. We played Yahtzee around the large Oak kitchen table or Hide-n-Seek or Kick-the-Can outdoors for fun. We laughed and played and had great times. Those were the good ol' days!

TRIVIA: My favorite actor, Marlon Brando (The Godfather) lived in Santa Ana during part of his youth. He attended Lathrop Junior High School there. I didn't live in Santa Ana until much later. Too bad I missed him. *heart throb*

marlon-brando-8, 50.webp

I was thinking tonight of what memory I wanted to convey, which was a challenge. What direction do I want to go? I decided that this would be the first of a trilogy. Next week will be “Muscle Cars” and the following week will be “White Rabbit”. Tonight is “From Pies to Cakes”… I tried to remember a memory from as far back as I could so here I go. We enjoyed going to our grandparent’s farm in southern Minnesota where they grew corn, oats, and soybeans. We enjoyed playing outside as they had no TV or video games. We would throw rocks, walk down the tractor field road, play with Lassie, and about anything else you would imagine. They raised chickens, sheep, and milk cows. Legend has it that Jesse James stayed in their barn about the time of the Northfield, Minnesota raid. My grandmother always made corn relish and Kumla. (Look the recipe up but add onions to it) This is a Norwegian dish and since my dad came from Norway and my mother's folks came from there, I must be all Norwegian or close to it! I was very young and was marching thru their Kitchen, sort of high stepping, and my shoe came off and landed in a pie on the table. Everyone screamed so I took off running. I went outside to play and was wondering why my uncle was throwing ice cubes at us from upstairs…turned out it was hail. Later that day, even as a young kid I didn’t want to look stupid, I said, “Look at that funny looking cloud that is dragging on the ground.” The next thing I knew I was grabbed from behind and taken to the basement. It was a tornado, which took out the neighbor’s farm. From pies to cakes…In my later/younger years, my mother made a cake and you know how good the frosting is. Me and my brother sampled a little of the frosting on the cake and then a little more using our finger. I remember my mom came in and was so mad she put my face right in the cake. It is funny how a traumatic occurrence like this will stick in one’s memory. Anyway here we go from pie to cake and now to another cake memory. This was my eighteenth birthday and I was excited and ready to hang one on. I remember having Slow Gin, wine, and Colt 45. No one told me that it wasn’t wise to mix beer, wine, and gin. Everyone told to blow out the eighteen candles and as the drums rolled I went for it. My face went into the cake catching my hair on fire. Oh well, as far as I remember I had a happy birthday and life goes on.

I love your story of the Memories of days gone by.................

It makes think about the days as a 18 year old and as a younger
kid in Minnesota and Iowa.

I recall a quote i head about a subject like this "We spend our childhood wishing we were adults, then we spend our adulthood wishing we were children again" So true lol
This is my Friday reporting and it is a challenge... I talked to my son who said my "X" bought a Harley today. I said, in nice terms, WTF... She has never rode a bike so why now? He told her to get a Moped, which she did and fell off of it breaking her rib. WTF again... I said maybe training wheels but stressed bikes are dangerous because of the other guys...another example of acting out "memories 0f days gone by"...we have all been there or will be there soon!

I remember seeing the deep blue sky, after a long hard typical winter in Minnesota. (Blast you are sooo lucky!!) It had just rained and you could actually smell the freshness in the air, unlike today. A rainbow in the sky, buds on the branches, birds chirping, and the distant roar of muscle cars! This was 1971 when gas was $0.409 per gallon and we could drag Broadway with what change you had in your pocket…all night long. We were watching chicks and hot cars, or chicks driving hot cars! I remember playing those tunes on my Pioneer Eight-Track Player. Putting in some Mountain, “Mississippi Queen”, Alice Cooper, Foghat, the list goes on. Darn one of my tapes just got ate up…bummer...I just lost Ted Nugent!

Earlier in the day the hot cars would parade around the high school, which had a concrete road in front called Rubber Hill. Burn those tires like you just won a Nascar race…smoke-em good AND MAKE THOSE ENGINES ROAR! We were the audience standing outside smoking as many cigs as we could before we went back to class. There were various groups in the crowd… the jocks, freaks, and the others. The others were like subgroups of the main groups. I was in that group, not really a hard core freak but close to it. I didn’t mention the other group, “A-students” as of course they were inside doing their homework. Top performers on Rubber Hill were the Nova, Chevelle, Camaro, GTO, and the Roadrunner, just to name a few. Stop…if you don’t like what you are reading don’t read any further. I’m not your babysitter, you can do what you want to…continue on…My neighbor had a GTO and was a few years older than I was. He would sit down in his basement, get loaded, and then watch the neon fish swim around while listening to Jimi Hendrix. One day he took me for a ride in the Goat, GTO, putting a dime on the dash and said, “Grab it” I tried but the acceleration thru me back against the seat. What cars…back then! In 2012 we have nothing but shit to drive and we accept it as one car looks about the same as the other, except a few sports cars. The good cars were back in time and we have gone backwards in design as time has moved forward. My car wasn’t a hot one back then…it was a 1971 Maverick Grabber but was better than what I was driving. I would drive around and sing along with Alice Cooper’s song “The Ballad of Dwight Fry”. I knew the song lyrics word for word and it sounded the same. Today I have trouble singing ‘Happy Birthday”…so much for a singing career.

After a hard day at high school we would hang out at the neighbors. We were all rested up as we slept thru class most of time. One time there were four of us watching TV at one of my friends. His parents left for the evening to play Bingo…so open up the doors…open the windows and light up. We smoked and we smoked and we also had a few of those adult beverages. I was surprised that on the TV they advertised that McDonalds was going to start serving breakfast in the mornings. I thought this was a neat thing to hear, breakfast at McDonalds. We kept watching the TV until the station signed off shutting their transmitter for the evening. Back then we only had the three networks and I think PBS. We sort of got wasted and when his parents came home we all tried to look and sound straight. We all had to work at it and really focus. Weird feeling for sure…as all four of us were glued to the TV watching, the station that had signed off. There was no picture on the screen, only a static/snow background. Did we look stupid or what and can you say, “Busted”? I never forgot that night as I thought for sure we were watching a show…but nothing was there…I guess you would have had to have been there to feel it and I’m out of here!
opmmur knows...this is what I'm talking about!

tn_423x423_plymouth-roadrunner-2547093_l_a1d057f3e58272c1.jpg