minuteman project and Waco type events thread

HuntTech

Originally posted by Cornelia@Sep 27 2004, 03:38 PM
Paul,
as we are the leading experts in the world about Titor-Waco-type events ( :lol: ), maybe it's time to discuss what really a Waco-type event means !
You're all americans, so it sounds obvious to you. To me, it's more subtle. I know Waco because I'm very deeply interested in american culture/history, but I seriously doubt you'd find just one european in the street knowing what the heck Waco is.

Forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn or (re)threading once it seems that the next few posts left this idea... but I'd like to put some ideas in here, too.

I was in Waco during the whole event there. I remember reading the Waco Tribune-Herald's 'Sinful Messiah' articles leading up to it all... and when reading them, I remember the nagging feeling that 'something was about to happen'. It was like the public was being groomed to accept the fact that something had to be done.
My mother taught at a daycare that had some of the 'Koresh kids'. One of my best friends took guitar lessons at 'Lone Star Music' where Koresh frequented. (I knew the owner of the place, too.) I was close associates with McLennan County Sheriff 'Bubba Dodd' because of my job then... and the Texas Rangers were one of my clients. (Bear with me... I'm just trying to set this up a bit...)
I worked for an electronics firm that was used for some of the equipment that was utilized for the [what I call] psyOps... the sound system and lights used constantly outside the 'compound'... presumably intended to drive the people out of the building or at least into submission.
(That's about all of the detail I will go into about that... :))

Waco isn't much different than any other small town, really. It's not *that* small, but it kind of has that feel to it. It has a decent-sized population, but you quickly know just about everyone one way or another.

I'm trying to build in you, as you read this, the sense that 'things seemed very normal' leading up to the beginning of this tragedy. This is my perspective as someone living, working, and socializing in Waco. No one, it seemed, felt any kind of threat from this group. I could go into the whole firearms argument here, but that's been hashed over sooo many times, that I think we all know what was what. Let's just say that the weapons they had were nothing too different from what many others had and still have in Central Texas.

IMHO, the "press' was used as a great tool for building a justification for the events that followed. These actions seemed to come from nowhere and seemed to involve all kinds of agencies... like the FBI, BATF, Child Protective Services, etc. etc.
The hard part to swallow during this whole thing was what happened to our town. The local authorities in Waco and McLennan County were taken out of the loop and mostly forced into a background role... even though they were best equipped for a peaceful solution to the whole thing.
Don't think I am defending the culture that Koresh tried to live in or that he created. From what I do know of the life inside the group, something had to be done to care for some of those involved... but at a local level.

Everything moved so fast. Nothing made sense... or at least you really couldn't connect the dots fast enough, for new dots kept getting added to the picture.
I remember sitting at my service bench thinking about the whole mess and pondering that it seems that just a few miles away, there's a major, historical thing happening. But it didn't make any sense.

(Walk out into your driveway and take a good look around your neighborhood. Now imagine knowing that 6 miles 'that way', just past the horizon, there's a massive buildup of force and you have no clue as to why.)

Waco seemed to have a cloud over it at the time. It seemed that we lost our town... especially with the press characterizing us in such odd ways... and with the government camped out, handling the matter. Folks didn't talk about it all that much, either. There was [looking back now] an alarmingly quiet attitude in the locals. *That* was submission. We could do nothing really.

Still, in me, is a sense of 'maybe that wasn't really what the whole purpose was'... meaning, did Koresh and his group's actions really warrant what happened there?

Here's what, to me, is a Waco event:

1 - Something is brought to the attention of authorities on a federal level.
(alternate step 1) 1 - The federal authorities become aware of something at the local level that they can use as a smoke-screen by getting involved.

2 - The press is used for distributing information about this 'something' as a means to conduct a public opinion/reaction litmus test.

3 - During #2, plans for handling the situation are drawn up and discussed. Guage the public reaction to #2 and decide how 'covertly' the action needs to handled. (Is the press our friend?)

4 - Start the character assassination of those targets in #2 as an ongoing justification of the operation.

5 - Remove local law authorities from the scene at all costs.

6 - Use the press by giving them only the communications you approve during the operation and sever any communications with the outside world from any other parties involved. (information control.)

7 - Do whatever else you want wherever the focus of the world is not... hence, anywhere but the focus of the operation.

8 - prepare an exit strategy

9 - End the operation

Looking back at my list, you can sum it all up as 'sleight of hand'. Yep. It's that simple. The only difference is when it is the government that is involved, it isn't a simple card trick... it's a seemingly major event with a lot of force. This begs for your full attention to the buildup... the suspense... the ending. You're focused while something else, somewhere else is taking place.

I don't think the issue behind a Waco-like event is simply the suppression of dissent or a battle against our 2nd Amendment Rights or anything like that. Sure, those arguments can be made and they are valid points in the observation of what all was going on... I just don't think they are the root of 'why' it happened. Waco, IMHO, was a diversion.

Do I have any clue what that 'something else' could have been with the Waco event? Nope. I was in Waco and focused on what was happening in my town. I fell for it, I suppose.

However, I think our 'collective awareness' got tweaked as a result of Waco. I don't think the government could stage another event like this in the same way if it wanted to. I think we'd all be too watchful for it. There's something about being reminded of the Posse Comitatus Act that makes you not want to let it happen again.
So, if we're talking about JT's supposed future Waco-like happenings, they would almost have to be more subtle and more tricky. They would surely have to be smaller in scale than Waco and not take the whole world's attention for so long. There are too many whistleblowers now. We all woke up a bit since Waco.

... or perhaps it would have to be even bigger and more absurd.

Cornelia

HuntTech,
So, if we're talking about JT's supposed future Waco-like happenings, they would almost have to be more subtle and more tricky.
This is exactly what I was talking about.
... or perhaps it would have to be even bigger and more absurd.
And, sadly, this too.

Anyway, Hunt, this thread is many months old. It started about February 2004 on another forum. I want to thank you for the enlightment you added about your experience in Waco. You are really a good acquisition for this board.

HuntTech

Originally posted by Cornelia@Sep 30 2004, 04:56 AM
Anyway, Hunt, this thread is many months old. It started about February 2004 on another forum. I want to thank you for the enlightment you added about your experience in Waco. You are really a good acquisition for this board.

Yeah, I figured I could at least add to it for archive purposes... :)

Judge Bean

The elements listed qualify a very limited number of events as "Waco-type," and, if you go back and look at Titor's original statement, it was rather off-handed and careless. It looks like he meant to refer to a wide variety of government attacks on the people, but I think also that he meant to refer to government violence against ordinary citizens.

Perhaps we can simplify it and also more easily recognize the "event" if we think of it as a violent government assault on the people.

HuntTech

Originally posted by Paul J. Lyon@Sep 30 2004, 06:57 PM
The elements listed qualify a very limited number of events as \"Waco-type,\" and, if you go back and look at Titor's original statement, it was rather off-handed and careless. It looks like he meant to refer to a wide variety of government attacks on the people, but I think also that he meant to refer to government violence against ordinary citizens.

Perhaps we can simplify it and also more easily recognize the \"event\" if we think of it as a violent government assault on the people.

Yes, 'careless' is exactly how I would characterize his/their statements. I just looked through and read his/their references again.

and... Yes, I believe your idea of a 'violent government assault on the people' is more than likely what was meant in the context of that discussion. I don't really take too kindly to the loose 'Waco' references used by some as that particular event have very distinct characteristics. Holistically, you could boil the whole thing down to a 'government assault on the people', but invoking 'Waco' brings with it a lot of other things.

I take it to mean some of the specifics of what happened there. Dang-it, if you say 'Waco-like', you should mean 'Waco-like'... :)

Judge Bean

It's what offended me about Titor, and made me rue the day that humanity would congratulate itself on a holocaust-- this nonchalant, careless way of expressing dire situations. It's a good thing, he would say, that so many died; it scrubbed the landscape clean of irritating ambiguities.

There is no innocence in his story; all of the innocents, for one thing, get to die so that he can have his smug, clear world. When you sacrifice all of the innocents in order to get rid of all of the evil, you can't exactly come back around later and expect to have any tone of innocence left in your own voice.

This has unexpected consequences for the writer, even if the story is a true one. The theme has set the tone and the writer can no longer completely control the consequences. In this case, the consequences include the fact that the writer cannot sound, or be, at all innocent-- he is tarnished by the nonchalant slaughter, even though he takes great pains to rationalize it.

Since he has lost his innocence, however, and due to the pressures of guilt and rationalization, he must resort to the same rhetoric as a liar; he may as well be a liar, because he sounds like one. This is why he keeps repeating that he doesn't care whether you believe him. He knows that he is unbelievable, not just because his story is outrageous, but because he must come across as trying to talk his way out of it.

Since he is not innocent, he is guilty; since he is guilty, he understands on a subliminal level that he is responsible to some degree for what will come to pass, and doesn't want to be blamed. This is why he tries to shift the blame to "this generation," i.e., to us, for our own slaughter and for the supposed slaughter of our children. We do not accept the blame, and accuse him of being a hoax and a liar. And so it goes, round and round.

Since he is not innocent, and a guilty liar seeking to shift blame, he is undoubtedly at least not telling the truth when it comes to the bare facts of his tale. He is not even a single person, probably; he's not from the future, and, if he is, he isn't telling us the truth about anything involving his past (our future) or the details of his "trip."

I'm sorry for the complexity of the sketch, but I think we need to face the facts.

StarLord

True,

don't they usually shoot the messenger? Although in this case, to do that you now have to search through time. Thats a neat trick if you can pull it off, and of course would cause the less gifted to look elsewhere for their scape goat.

HuntTech

Originally posted by Paul J. Lyon@Oct 1 2004, 03:33 PM
I'm sorry for the complexity of the sketch, but I think we need to face the facts.

Don't be sorry at all. Your post is well received. This is a 'complex' issue whether JT, et al realize(d) it or not... even on a sublime level. The offense to me is at being so glib and non-chalant with such a dangerous tool. That tool being the implantation and spreading of their ideas.

There is a serious problem with giving birth to a paranoia (of sorts) and using already tangible events to characterize it. This is an old tactic... spin a tale with some vague points and some not-so-vague points and don't fill in all of the detail. Instead, associate your story to one that is already cemented in the collective memories of the readers. Their brains will fill in the rest and take it on tangents that you (as the liar) could only dream of.

This little stunt, perpetrated by the JT folks, is an organic creation. It now lives and mutates and replicates with aid from the readers' memories, worries, emotions, etc. It truly is a meme in that sense. Think about the accepted definition of 'meme':

meme (n.)

A unit of cultural information, such as a cultural practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another.

My sensitivity to this lie (as you so aptly characterized above) is that once you give birth to this beast, it lives on and you cannot pull it back. Even if the folks come out from under their rock to see the light of day and tell us all what they did and why, there are people that are forever changed by the ideas that have been passed from person to person. The visions of this future that they evoked are alive and well... and seemingly getting darker and darker as it mutates. There will STILL be some believers that would spin the group's revelation of the hoax as another method to hide some deeper truth... and so, the meme goes on.

In regard to Waco-like references or the laying of the seeds to look for government-backed actions, we have another problem that evolves. The folks that accept these parts of the lie are now tuned to look for them... but they are further tuned to accept that they are the catalyst for the 'rest of the story'... thus, we're being asked to accept that they will happen and that because of this the future that they painted is certain. That's an ugly lie and it is an action-controlling one. It almost resolves the readers to just 'acknowledge and look beyond' any of these type of events because they're just a cog in the wheel of the bigger truth.

And, again, as you pointed out... the 'rest of this story' is very dark and ugly... the innocent slaughter of masses of individuals is told as a matter of fact and as a good thing. Waco-like events (read: 'violent government assault on the people') that end in massive loss of life are not a 'good thing' in my book on any day.

(Yep, I finally came back to the topic... :))

lev

Originally posted by Paul J. Lyon@Oct 6 2004, 07:31 PM
Lyon reporting in routinely from Waco watch.

Nothing.

::.. LOL! ..::