Miscellaneous Chatter about John Titor: Post it here!

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
did we forget Alvin simon Theodore titor daveeeeeeee!!!!!

o_0 What??? :confused:

LOL HEY QUIT FOLLOWING ME! ;) We were discussing earlier the 12 disciples of Titor and I believe he was making a joke about it. Ren thinks I'm a Titor disciple, but we haven't come to an agreement as to WHO I am, because there apparently is no Paul from Jesus' era. (Relating Jesus to Titor...)
Confused, yet? :ROFLMAO: I give Ren a hard time about this. Just teasing him.

Samstwitch

You know, I never thought of that. He made us aware of the 5100 issue and the need for it in the future. If that's not a huge hint, I don't know what is.
Should we find one and keep it handy? I just see parts for it on Ebay. My uncle worked for IBM for many years, so I am going to talk to him about that, but I may not mention John Titor. Most of my family looks at me like "here she goes again" when I talk about stuff like that. :)

I have a book that's specifically about an IBM 5100 that I bought ages ago for my JT collection. The 5100 computers themselves have skyrocketed in price due to the information John gave us about them.

I know what you mean about the talking...I tried talking to one of my sons about JT, but he doesn't want to hear it. Someday that might all change though. :)

TimeTravel_00

I'm not fictitious, I'm going to the waypoint right now, as soon as I stop by Wendy's that is...... Actually had a tail Monday night, lets just say, I lost him....

T.A. Walters

Interesting however;

I believe there are many published SciFi authors lurking on this website. But unlike myself, they just prefer to be anonymous.

TimeTravel_00

....................?
Sphere Calculator
Date: 10/10/1999 at 21:49:27
Subject: Re: Pi and curved space...

Hi, Steve.

In general relativity, it is space-time (4-dimensional "space"), not
just space, that is curved. But that concept is very hard to grasp
(I'm not sure I can really picture it), so we get at the idea by
considering curved space.

Even curved 3-dimensional space is hard to picture. It's easier to use
a 2-dimensional example. The surface of a sphere is one good example;
it has a constant curvature. But if you examine what happens to
circles on the surface of a sphere, you may be surprised. What you'll
find is that pi doesn't just have a different value, it actually has
no meaning.

Pi is defined as the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its
diameter. In flat 2-dimensional space (Euclidean geometry), it can be
proved that this ratio is the same for every circle. Once you know
this, you can calculate the value of the ratio - not exactly, but to
any desired precision. You can also prove that pi is also the ratio of
the area of a circle to the square of its radius, and so forth.

What happens on the surface of a sphere? Instead of straight lines, we
have "geodesics" - the shortest distance between two points without
leaving the surface. A geodesic on the surface of a sphere turns out
to be a portion of a great circle - a circle, like the equator or a
line of longitude on a globe, whose center is at the center of the
sphere.

Look at a globe. It probably has a set of circles of different radii,
all centered at the North Pole. These are lines of latitude. The line
at 45 degrees of latitude, for instance, has a radius that is the
portion of any line of longitude between 45 degrees and the North
Pole. How long is this radius? It's half the distance from pole to
equator, or 1/8 of the full line of longitude. The length of a line of
longitude is the same as the length of the equator. Thus the circle's
diameter is 1/4 of the length of the equator.

How long is the circumference of the circle? A little geometry will
convince you that it is the length of the equator divided by the
square root of 2.

Now, what is the ratio of the circumference of this circle to its
diameter? It's 1/sqrt(2) : 1/4, or 2*sqrt(2) = 2.8284... That's
noticeably less than pi.

But does this mean that "pi" on the surface of a sphere is 2.8284? No.
Consider another circle on the globe, the equator. Its radius is 1/4
the length of the equator. Its circumference is the length of the
equator. So the ratio of the circumference of this circle to its
diameter is exactly 2.

You might say that you were right, it is possible for "pi" to be
rational in a curved space. But if "pi" depends on the radius of the
circle, then the ratio of circumference to diameter is not fixed, and
if the ratio isn't constant, there is no meaning in the definition of
pi as THE ratio of circumference to diameter.

That's a pretty interesting result, even though it's a negative one.
What it says is that we shouldn't take even the existence of pi for
granted: there are geometries in which there is no such thing as pi.

I went a little fast at a few points. If you can't figure out what I
am saying, please write back. Understanding curved space, even in 2
dimensions, is a challenge.

- Doctor Rick, The Math Forum
The Math Forum - Ask Dr. Math
You might be onto something, but micro, instead of macro. Did John ever mention the angle at which I have to set the electron injection process, in regards to the position of the event-horizon on the micro-singularities?

Attachments

• PiFinal.pdf
    127.7 KB · Views: 1

TimeTravel_00

Infinity! The KERR field works because the gravitational fields approaches infinity, it cannot be defined, and therefore is irrational. It's an error in the rules that govern our very existence, kind of like a cheat or hack in a video game. An error in the code............
Pi: Facts and Figures

(Pi): Facts and Figures
Edited by The Starman

• The Basics
  • 100 Decimal Places of Pi.
  • The Circle Definition of Pi, Diameter and Circumference. Area of a Circle.
  • The Symbol (π) itself The Greek Letter. When was π first used this way?

• The Sphere Area and Volume.

Pi (
pib.gif
) to 100 decimal places is:
3. 14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510 58209 74944 59230 78164 06286 20899 86280 34825 34211 70679

A Circle of
pi.gif
(Pi)

pi2.gif
is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter (π = c / d) which also means
that the circumference of a circle is Pi times its diameter (c = πd) or twice Pi times its radius (c = 2πr). If we make the diameter 1 unit, then its
circle.gif

circumference will equal π units. The area (A) inside a circle is Pi times the radius squared or A = π r2 (see links below for proof *). If a circle has a diameter of 2 units, then its area will equal π units._________________________
* For various proofs that A = π r2, try these pages:
offsite.gif
I'm still researching this!.
pi1.gif
is the 16th letter of the Greek alphabet (it also denoted the number 80 in ancient Greece). Note that the pronunciation of this letter in Greek is like the English word 'Pea' (the same way they say the name of the letter 'P') or perhaps like the p and i in the word 'Pit.' But it's NEVER pronounced like the English word 'Pie' in Greece! To create that type of sound, Greek could use the diphthong 'ai' (it means two vowels together; like the 'oi' in the English word 'oil'); so, 'pai' in Greek would sound like 'pie' in English.

So, how did this Greek letter become the Mathematical symbol it's known for today?
In the mid to late 1600's, some mathematicians were using
pdivd.gif
(a lowercase Pi divided by a lowercase Greek Delta) to note the perimeter divided by the diameter of a circle; 3.14159... . The symbol, π, was used in this manner because it's the first letter of the Greek words, perifereia (periphery) and perimetroV (or perimeter; which could also mean the circumference of a circle). Many geometrical terms in English come from Greek, including of course, geometry itself, gewmetria (gew = earth + metria = measure).

But William Jones is often cited as being the first author to use the Greek letter π for this constant in his 1706 work, A New Introduction to Mathematics.

If you bring everything up one dimension to get a 3D value for Pi. The ratio of a sphere's surface area to the area of the circle seen if you cut the sphere in half is exactly 4.

The volume of a sphere is 4/3*r3 and its surface area is 4/*r2.

The circle is the shape with the least perimeter length to area ratio (for a given shape area). Centuries ago mathematicians were also philosophers. They considered the circle to be the 'perfect' shape because of this. The sphere is the 3D shape with the least surface area to volume ratio (for a given volume)

Fractions approaching Pi

Fraction Decimal Approximation Percent Deviation from Pi
25 / 8 3.125 (exactly) -0.52816 %
22 / 7
3.142857142857 +0.04025 %
333 / 106
3.14150943396 -0.00264896 %
355 / 113
3.14159292035 +0.00000849 %
104348 / 33215
3.14159265392 +0.00000001 %
837393900 / 266550757
3.14159265358980 +2.2 x 10^(-13) %
The following lists the repeating decimal portion (underlined) of fractions related to those approaching the value of Pi:

15/106 = 0.141509433962264

16/113 = 0.14159292035398230088495575221238938053097345132743

4703/33215 = 0.14159265392142104470871594

The Babylonians were the first to use (25 / 8)

The fraction (22 / 7) is probably the most famous approximation for Pi (about 3.142857). It's actually composed of 3 + (1 / 7) and the fractional part (1/7) is famous in its own right as being the first fraction to produce a 'repeating decimal' number with more than a single digit! (1/7 = 0.142857 142857 142857 ... etc.)

(355 / 113) which is about 3.141592920354 and only 0.00000849% larger than Pi.

If one were to find the circumference of a circle the size of the known universe, requiring that the circumference be accurate to within the radius of one proton only 39 decimal places of Pi would be necessary.

Some Facts about Pi
(in Chronological Order)

The Babylonians are credited as having recorded the first value for Pi (around 2000 BCE) and they used (25 / 8).

The earliest known reference to Pi is on a Middle Kingdom papyrus scroll, written around 1650 BC by Ahmes the scribe.

In around 200 BC Archimedes found that Pi was between (223/71) and (22/7). His error was no more than 0.008227 %. He did this by approximating a circle as a 96 sided polygon.

----------------
Ludolph Van Ceulen (1540 - 1610) spent most of his life working out Pi to 35 decimal places. Pi is sometimes known as Ludolph's Constant

Another name for Pi in Germany is 'die Ludolphsche Zahl' after Ludolph van Ceulen, the German mathematician who devoted his life to calculating 35 decimals of pi.

---------------
In 1706 William Jones first gave the Greek letter π its current mathematical definition.

The first person to use the Greek letter Pi was Welshman William Jones in 1706. He used it as an abbreviation for the periphery of a circle with unit diameter. Euler adopted the symbol and it quickly became a standard notation.

A rapidly converging formula for calculation of Pi found by Machin in 1706 was pi/4 = 4 * arctan (1/5) - arctan (1/239).

Basic facts on π (including Irrationality and Transcendence):
------

In 1768 Johann Lambert proved Pi is irrational.

Pi is irrational. An irrational number is a number that cannot be expressed in the form (a / b) where a and b are integers.

In 1882 Ferdinand Lindemann, proved the transcendence of Pi.

Pi is a transcendental number. (Transcendental means= Not capable of being determined by any combination of a finite number of equations with rational integral coefficients.)

Pi is a 'transcendental' number. This means that it is not the solution to any finite polynomial (eg: lots of numbers added in a series) with whole number coefficients. This is why it is impossible to square the circle.

It is easy to prove that if you have a circle that fits exactly inside a square, then pi = 4 times (Area of circle) / (Area of square)

AETERNAM REX

Paula, TimeTravel_00,

With regard to him being an imposter, ...let him go for it.

Consider this...

He obviously isn't one of the Titors. We know this. So his efforts are basically null and void within the time travel enthusiast community.

For all the people who can be fooled by him, ...so what? It only serves to assist 'Titor', as it works to add to the confusion and obfuscation. If you were 'Titor', wouldn't you appreciate having a gazillion decoys/imposters making it more difficult for you to be identified?

Don't sweat that guy as an imposter. He and other imposters can be shut down at any time. The question is, is it worth exposing truths to shut him down? Not really. Just let him pretend. I am more concerned with his threats and harassment. But that has apparently already been taken care of.

Also, something that Sam mentioned, that I am inclined to agree with, is the idea that perhaps he is trying to drive 'Titor' into the open. I doubt it will work.