- Dec 24, 2004
Yes, I'm very satisfied with the way it came out. I meticulously sweated out all the details.Wow your HDR unit you built looks great Einstein!
I have one final detail on construction. I redid the electromagnet. I found the winding specs I needed from an old post by HDRKID over at Time Chatter before the site went down. Here's the winding spec details:
Now it's more than 200 feet of wire. I believe when I was done, it was at around 1400 feet. But my finished coil dimensions match the dimensions of all the photos I could get online. Also instead of Permaseal tape, I used Silicone tape. It's a much better insulator at up to 10,000 volts. Also it is now impossible to obtain soft iron in the USA. I was left using mild cold rolled steel in its place. There are no soft iron manufacturers in the USA anymore. Here is a picture of my completed Electromagnet:BTW, this is what Steven Gibbs told me about HDR electromagnet.
Basically, he takes a one inch diameter soft iron core and cuts a seven inch length. He wraps around it approx 200' feet of 21' gauge copper magnet wire with seven rows front and back. To the ends he attaches two Radio Shack banana plug adapters. He then wraps the electromagnet in white permaseal tape that is heat resistant.
Oh yes, he burns the ends of the copper magnet wire and sands them down to remove the enamel.