My son heard me tell him to come downstairs, but I wasn't home!

piccololady

Thank you for the excellent description of your experiences. For some time now, I would think I heard someone's voice in my family and they would either not be home or would be in a different room. It has happened slightly more frequently lately, but I have always brushed it off to my imagination. My pre-teen son has also come downstairs several times over the past years asking why I called him when I hadn't spoken at all. However, this past weekend I talked my husband into taking three of our kids to the movies, so I was home with my oldest daughter and my special needs, non-verbal son. She and I were sitting in our living room watching TV and I heard my youngest son's voice say "Mommy" My daughter looked at me wide eyed and ran upstairs (my husband had told her to get her room clean before they got home) . . . but before she got to the top she turned around and sat back down on the couch. We both kind of looked at each other for a few minutes - both of us afraid to admit we had heard the same exact thing, yet my husband and kids were not home yet. I guess perhaps I cannot brush it off anymore. Nothing seems particularly threatening, though my kids tend to get spooked over any little thing easily. We've also recently adopted an abandoned kitten, and I will be interested to see if she has any reactions. Thank you again, so much. And if it matters to anyone, I live in a city, with houses within 20 feet on the left and right and a house behind within 200 feet, and houses across the street. I do live on the slope of one of the last large hills before the Ohio flat(ter) land.

Amanda Brown

I've been having this same problem. Only my family only hears ME when I'm not there. I'm shaken about what's happening.
Earlier this year in February, my mother texted me while I was at school.
"Are you home? Did you just leave home?"
I answered, "No... I left an hour ago. I have class."
"That's so odd. Your brother and I were watching a movie in the livingroom when we heard YOU in your room screaming 'F*CK' at the top of your lungs."

This was the only incident that happened for a while. I had moved out of the house a few months ago. I came back last night to visit. I was about to go into my room when my brother stopped me, saying "Sarah. Don't go into your room, dude."
"Um... why?"
"There's something in there. Like not your ferrets... Something... Something like an entity."
I asked him more about it. He told me that for the past couple nights my door had been slamming (they lock it to keep the dogs out). His room is right next to mine, so he practically gets front row seats for this stuff. He told me that most recently, he awoke to a HUGE, loud GROWL and right after my door slammed once again. The dogs were in his room and they immediately started freaking out -- barking, growling, whining.
So I got pretty damn freaked out. But my brother likes to tell stories. The growl that woke him could have been the dogs reacting to some distant siren. But what about my door slamming? My door doesn't SLAM. I've tried before, but it's stopped by this "air cushion" as I call it because my door is so light.
I go to my mother's bedroom to ask her about it. She doesn't freak me out about stuff unless it's true. I ask her about my door slamming and the dogs barking. I expected her to react by saying my brother was just freaking out over nothing.
But she didn't. She told me, "Yes.. Your door has been slamming. And, I don't know if it was just me half asleep, but I heard you scream at the top of your lungs in your room."
I told her about my door not even being able to be slammed because it's so light. She agreed with me on this; she said she's aware that my door can't slam and make such a loud noise. But that didn't stop it from slamming before.

I don't know what to make of this. The only conclusion I drew was that it was the door. I know it's a stretch, but when my brother was young he screwed with a lot of stuff like Quija boards. My door used to be his as well; he drew some alchemy circles on it because he liked the show "Fullmetal Alchemist" on adult swim. So I don't know.

But I believe your story. It's happening to me as well. Does anybody have any answers to what's happening in my mother's house?

That is so creepy! I would never go back into my room again if that happened. Have you considered getting rid of your door? I lived in a house once where the door to the basement would slam at night for no reason. There was no air suction or anything to cause it to slam. I also had a friend who had a house I didn't like because one time during a sleep over in the middle of the night there was a woman's scream coming from her laundry room. Talk about creepy!

Lyssi1991

Wow. Very interesting. Your family may just be incredibly intuitive. I've had experiences like this before, but no nearly as often as your family has. I lived in a house where paranormal activity happened often, and I would hear people calling my name from time to time when they really weren't.
I used to see things happen a few seconds before they would happen. I would see things in slow motion, and then immediately after the same thing would happen. I imagine that hearing others come home before they actually return is similar in nature.
It could also be residual energy...Some times humans can leave energy behind that constantly repeats it's self. But this is only a theory and I'm not sure if I believe it.

louise1341

This kind of thing happens to me and my family quite a lot, both in our previous house and in this one. So much so that we've just begun to brush it off as one of those weird things that happens sometimes and no one really pays any attention to it. Both myself and my oldest son (he's 10) are VERY sensitive to paranormal activity and have seen and sensed ghosts quite often but my husband often hears people he knows calling his name in the house as well.

What really just freaked me out though was that as I was reading this post my oldest came downstairs to ask me why I'd just shouted him!!!! I said I hadn't but he was determined that he's heard me shout his name so I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence or not!

kurisu

I've had this happen before and, more so at night time I've gotten use to it and, have developed my intuition of telling if it was the real voice or not and, have gotten use to it

nukedoc

hello everyone. i found this discussion through as search about what i have experienced. let me first say that i am no longer a religious man. and when it comes to the supernatural, i am a skeptic, yet find it extremely entertaining. through my searches i have only found accounts of people hearing other peoples' voices. yet, i actually heard my own. i would be interested to hear what can be said about my experiences. so here is my account...

a couple years ago i moved into my house. the kitchen is connected to the garage via doorway and the door was open at the time. my gf at the time was in the living room straightening up while i was in the garage doing the same. tv was off. out of nowhere she hears MY voice calling out to her from the kitchen saying "babe!". but the weird part about it is the fact that I HEARD IT TOO. and the voice i heard was MY OWN. she came to the doorway and asked what i wanted. i told her that i said nothing, but also that i had heard it too. two separate people confirming what they heard and who's voice was heard. nothing happened after that, at least that i have noticed, until last week while at work.

i stepped out of my office and closed the door behind me. people here know that sometimes i need to catch up on my work and i close the door to make sure no one bothers me. while i was out, my secretary knocked on the door to get something in my office. but i was not there. i came back about 15 seconds after that and literally as soon as i reentered my office, i get a call on my cell phone from my secretary almost yelling at me saying "why wont you answer the door!?!?! i need to get something in there. i knocked and you said 'what?' but you never opened the door!" she seriously would not believe me when i tried to explain to her that i literally just walked in and i was not in the office when she knocked. so there was no way i would have been able to speak to her through the door. but she was pretty adamant that i was playing a prank on her and that i was actually there.

now, i would normally chock it up to imagination if only one person heard a voice like in the latter account. but in the first one, not only did two people hear it and hear the exact same thing... one of those two people was MYSELF.

Khaos

where the wild things are
I've had this happen at my parents house a few times. One in particular was when I was staying a week with my parents helping my dad take care of my mother who had surgery in the hospital, I kept hearing both of them calling for me while I was outside. I came back inside, both were asleep. Even if they were awake, their voices wouldn't have been loud enough to penetrate the house calling me.

When my dad woke up, and checked on my mom, I asked if he called my name earlier and he said no.

Another time I was spending the night at my parents house while they were on their anniversary vacation, and I was looking after the house, and I heard my mom say my name from the basement. I went into the basement and heard some shuffling, went to look for the source of the noise but did not find anything. There are cats in the house, but they were upstairs in the living room where I was when I heard my mom's voice. I thought maybe the phone rang and my mom left a voicemail, so I checked the messages, she did not leave any messages.

I've had similar experiences with this at my parents place and I have a friend who heard his mom calling for him in my parents house one time, however my friend's mom died when she gave birth to him...

acretens

My son heard me tell him to come downstairs, but I wasn't home!
You get used to someone’s distinct sound of how they come in a door, and their footsteps and such. It sounded just like it was her coming in, but no one was there.

I'm so glad I found this forum. This voice phenomena has been happening to me and my family for the past couple years. It started around 2010 in our old house and, it still happens now in our current house, we are also getting ready to move this week and I am very curious to know if it will happen in our new house! Your quote above is what really struck me, it's hard to describe the feeling when someone walks into your home, the atmosphere changes, almost like static, almost like the feeling you get when the channel is changing on the T.V. , a certain frequency you can feel. That's why you know you are not just hearing things but feeling someone as well.

My first distinct memory of this happening was in our old house. My 5 year old daughter and I were sitting on my bed together watching t.v. We both heard the front door open and heard my husband. she looked at me and said "daddy's home!" and then i got up to walk down the hall and greet him, but no one was home! so that was definitely creepy in itself, and even more so because my young daughter heard the same thing that I did! If she wouldn't have, I would have brushed it off as if I were hearing things, and probably laughed at myself.

After awhile we moved into our current home, we have lived here for about 2 years, and I have NEVER EVER disliked a house so much as this. It's an older home, which I really don't mind, but this house has a darkness about it, which is so hard to explain. my husband always looks at me like I'am crazy when I tell him this house is negative. I have been emotionally drained living in this house, I went through a very bad depression in this house which lasted an entire winter, I barely left my bed. My husband and mother were very worried, not to say very irritated with me as well, as this isn't my normal behavior, and I also din't know why i was so sad, I just honestly had no will to do anything. My grandmother also swore it was the house, making us sick. as spring rolled around and I started spending more time outside gardening and stuff, I instantly felt better, I was convinced it had something to do with the fresh air, and the mustiness of the house and the winter time just got me down.
The voices have happened a lot in this house, my, now 7 year old daughter, often says that I have called out to her. She also said she heard a woman outside her window and a gun shot, and she was so serious about it that it scared me and I once again called my husband. Now my husband is the more skeptical one, so I often tell him of these things to settle my nerves, I will quickly blame things on the paranormal, I guess you could call us a Moulder and Sculley only reversed! lol

Another instance happened after my mother had visited, Now we often use our garage door as our main entrance, it's off the side of our kitchen/ dining area. After she left I had started to vacuum in the dining area. I distinctly felt my mother come back in the garage door, and thought to myself that she must have left something, then I heard her holler my name, which wouldn't have been unusual as I was vacuuming she would need to yell to get my attention. So I turned off the vacuum and looked up towards the garage door and no one was there! Unnerving to say the least! Within the past 2 years my husband has started truck driving over the road, so there is a family friend of ours who will also poke his head in from time to time to make sure we don't need anything. One day I heard him at the garage door call my name, which wouldn't be unusual, but once again, when I went to check, no one was there!

The real creepy instance happened only last night, my husband and I have just been approved to move into another home! Finally getting out of this miserable house! So we were out in the garage talking about the house and how happy we were to finally be moving out of here and in mid sentence my husband stopped talking and looked stone cold right at me and started looking around frantically! "did you just hear that?!" he said, and I assumed he was talking about the cicada bugs and crickets as they were very loud last night, then he says "I just heard your mother calling your name in the kitchen!" The same exact thing I heard my mother saying, and in the same exact place, the kitchen, by the garage door. I turned to him and said "finally! You have heard them too! I told you we hear voices in this house!" He was visibly shaken. My husband NEVER entertains this kind of thing. I'm glad he finally heard it and now believes me, but him hearing the voices only validates their existence. (Let me also say my mom has also heard them from time to time as well.) He commented that it was as if the house was trying to hold on to us.

So this experience last night is what prompted me to once again search for an answer, and after getting weird search results, such as schizophrenia and auditory hallucinations, I finally found this forum thread and I have never related to a story so much so as yours Cmac. Just the way you explained the feelings of someone coming home, I just related to a lot. I have no idea what this is, but others truly experience it as well, and now we are moving into our new home and I am curious to know if this phenomena will occur there as well! I will definitely keep you guys posted, because all of my homes have been relatively far from each other, miles at least, so if it were some kind of environmental factor or radio towers and the like that option definitely doesn't explain this!