Percent divergence

Harte

My point is that things which are claimed to be impossible in physics often turn out to be completely possible. Human flight comes to mind.
Straw man.

While it may be true that some physicist or the other may have expressed the opinion that human flight was impossible at some point in the past, Physics itself has never held any opinions, much less that opinion.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that Physics doesn't claim that time travel is impossible either.

Harte

Last edited:
EDIT: Just wanted to add that Physics doesn't not claim that time travel is impossible either.

Harte
I think you left one too many negatives in there.

But yeah, I agree. People who think of science as being something that has opinions and either "proves" or "disproves" its own theories generally know very little about science (not talking about your personally Marshmallow, just ranting and raving as per usual).

I sometimes talk about science as a religion, because the way some people have total faith in it, it's practically indistinguishable from religion.

Last edited:

Harte

EDIT: Just wanted to add that Physics doesn't not claim that time travel is impossible either.

Harte
I think you left one too many negatives in there.
Thanks. Fixed.

But yeah, I agree. People who think of science as being something that has opinions and either "proves" or "disproves" its own theories generally know very little about science.

I sometimes talk about science as a religion, because the way some people have total faith in it, it's practically indistinguishable from religion.
The problem is not faith in science, it's misunderstanding what science is, and then having faith in that misunderstanding.

I have complete faith in science as a method for explaining observed data. Faith in scientists, however, not so much.

Harte

arvin

There are things that not all human beings can comprehend.
People who can't comprehend these stuffs we're not stupid or dumb or what so ever, their reality is just that not enough to comprehend these things.

How can you understand chinese if you don't have any backgrounds on speaking chinese?
Not everyone can understand chinese
NO one is forcing you to speak chinese

People who can't comprehend these stuffs we're not stupid or dumb or what so ever, their reality is just that not enough to comprehend these things.

How can you understand chinese if you don't have any backgrounds on speaking chinese?
Yes, but if you believe someone who tells you that Chinese is a superior language and that it holds all the answers, and you don't even try to understand what that means, then you've invested faith in someone else's belief without doing your homework.

Which is fine I suppose... It's just that for me, anyone who claims to believe something should be able to explain why beyond, "Well, so and so told me this" or "I read an article in Vogue that said that."

That being said, I hold certain beliefs for the pure fun of it, but you'll never catch me vehemently arguing them because, well... that would take all the fun out of them.

arvin

Yes, but if you believe someone who tells you that Chinese is a superior language and that it holds all the answers, and you don't even try to understand what that means, then you've invested faith in someone else's belief without doing your homework.

Which is fine I suppose... It's just that for me, anyone who claims to believe something should be able to explain why beyond, "Well, so and so told me this" or "I read an article in Vogue that said that."

That being said, I hold certain beliefs for the pure fun of it, but you'll never catch me vehemently arguing them because, well... that would take all the fun out of them.
Oh ho, I forgot to include that one!

Mayuri Shiina

A big problem I use to have with the percent divergence, given by Titor and other 2035ers, was a percent is based on a mathematical division. It is useless to talk about a 1% or 5% divergence if there are not actual numbers you are dividing. Sure you can say an ant turns one way or another but those examples are not numbers you can divide.

I understand the 2004 MySpace Titor may not qualify as "the real" John Titor for some of you, or perhaps any but me, but at least he explained the percent divergence that had some mathematical foundation. It was divergence found from cesium clock readings. This is something you can compute mathematically. The turning of the ant are just implications of that divergence.

I am not sure why I am inclined to share this. For those who understand my peeve about a percent being unfounded, I see a low likelihood they give much credence to Titor. Those who give credence to Titor tend to exclude many others I consider related. Those who are open minded on those two fronts tend not to squabble about mathematical foundations. So yeah. Have a nice Thanksgiving.

The "real" John Titor based the majority of his information on a series of books by Dolores Cannon. He was not a "real" time traveler as they do not exist. Time is a CONCEPT, nothing more. When you figure out how to travel through a concept, let me know.

What is the single biggest problem when hoaxing time travel? Of course it is the fact that people will want SPECIFIC "future" information in an effort to establish your legitimacy. How to solve that problem? Hmmmmmm....I know! A timeline "divergence!" Yeah....that's the ticket....

Don't give yourself a headache trying to figure out mathematics that do not exist. Multiple timelines are as much a fantasy as the fountain of youth. Multiple dimensions, yes. John Titor is a HOAX. It amazes how this BS story is still making the rounds..........

He based it off a book? Do you have proof for such? Please share with me. I'm not challenging you, as to say Titor is real, I am just wondering.

Sam Slagg

A big problem I use to have with the percent divergence, given by Titor and other 2035ers, was a percent is based on a mathematical division. It is useless to talk about a 1% or 5% divergence if there are not actual numbers you are dividing. Sure you can say an ant turns one way or another but those examples are not numbers you can divide.

I understand the 2004 MySpace Titor may not qualify as "the real" John Titor for some of you, or perhaps any but me, but at least he explained the percent divergence that had some mathematical foundation. It was divergence found from cesium clock readings. This is something you can compute mathematically. The turning of the ant are just implications of that divergence.

I am not sure why I am inclined to share this. For those who understand my peeve about a percent being unfounded, I see a low likelihood they give much credence to Titor. Those who give credence to Titor tend to exclude many others I consider related. Those who are open minded on those two fronts tend not to squabble about mathematical foundations. So yeah. Have a nice Thanksgiving.

The "real" John Titor based the majority of his information on a series of books by Dolores Cannon. He was not a "real" time traveler as they do not exist. Time is a CONCEPT, nothing more. When you figure out how to travel through a concept, let me know.

What is the single biggest problem when hoaxing time travel? Of course it is the fact that people will want SPECIFIC "future" information in an effort to establish your legitimacy. How to solve that problem? Hmmmmmm....I know! A timeline "divergence!" Yeah....that's the ticket....

Don't give yourself a headache trying to figure out mathematics that do not exist. Multiple timelines are as much a fantasy as the fountain of youth. Multiple dimensions, yes. John Titor is a HOAX. It amazes how this BS story is still making the rounds..........

He based it off a book? Do you have proof for such? Please share with me. I'm not challenging you, as to say Titor is real, I am just wondering.
A series of books by Dolores Cannon, a hypnotherapist who claimed to "time travel" via hypnosis with her subjects. This was well known back then. That's why I am so surprised to find people who believe it was real.

Mayuri Shiina

A series of books by Dolores Cannon, a hypnotherapist who claimed to "time travel" via hypnosis with her subjects. This was well known back then. That's why I am so surprised to find people who believe it was real.

Ah, I see. Now that you state this I see the point you have. I might even give that book a read myself. After all, if he was here, and from a different world line, then this world line would not have known his presence. But there is still a bit of proof we must take into consideration. That leaves us wondering, how did Titor know a lot of these things if he was a fake? It's a nice topic to think about. Maybe one day we will know for sure. But for now, nothing is certain.

Sam Slagg

Ah, I see. Now that you state this I see the point you have. I might even give that book a read myself. After all, if he was here, and from a different world line, then this world line would not have known his presence. But there is still a bit of proof we must take into consideration. That leaves us wondering, how did Titor know a lot of these things if he was a fake? It's a nice topic to think about. Maybe one day we will know for sure. But for now, nothing is certain.
I can't help but wonder what "things" you are referring to. I know a lot of "things" as well, do you suppose I am a time traveler? I gather from your posts that you are fairly young. Twenties at best, teens at worst. This hoax is quite popular among that age group.