The Draft: Revisited

ZeoEmeraude

Ok, let's face facts ppl......the elections are over, and depending on you stance, we may or may not have elected the right guy into office. The burning question that remains on our minds is what will our "prez" do with the power? Will we keep fighting these ghosts of Iraq and the Taliban? I personally feel deep pain when I see that our soldiers are being ambushed and killed on a daily basis. This brings me to my topic.........Do you feel that we as a country need a national draft to replenish our reserves of fighting men and women? (IMO) I would say no....Our armed forces are now based on volunteer recruits....so why the need for forced fighters? Vietnam was lost because we thought we could take on a small country.......in the end though, we lost a lot of ppl and the war, and guess what....the draft didn't help. How many ppl lost thier lives in these conflicts simply because of bad politics? Do we really need a draft? I think no......but we as citizenz of free will and God must make these choices.......What do you think?

Darkwolf

Vietnam was lost because we thought we could take on a small country.......in the end though, we lost a lot of ppl and the war, and guess what....the draft didn't help.

No, we lost Vietinam by taking half measures, and losing our national will to fight. Remember, as horrible as the number of casualties we have taken in this war, we took more on one beach in one hour on D day, and also in a bad day in nam.

ZeoEmeraude

Originally posted by Darkwolf@Nov 22 2004, 03:26 AM
Vietnam was lost because we thought we could take on a small country.......in the end though, we lost a lot of ppl and the war, and guess what....the draft didn't help.

No, we lost Vietinam by taking half measures, and losing our national will to fight. Remember, as horrible as the number of casualties we have taken in this war, we took more on one beach in one hour on D day, and also in a bad day in nam.

Ok, D-Wolf. I agree with ya on that. But think about all those innocent lives lost on 9-11. Do you think those ppl (given the chance) would want ppl with no will to fight or kill defend our country? Sure, we can train em' but ya can't take away morals or will, especially in a situation as tough as the one we face today. I don't like seeing moms and fathers, uncles, and cousins fighting a war that is not only based on political bull****, but one that is based on oil and power struggles over said oil, die because the American government wants to be the "World Police". If ya ask me...if a draft is initiated...I will go to Canada or Mexico before fighting for an unworthy cause....Morality only goes so far. And as far as Normandy goes....I commend those guys..they knew what they were fightin for. Ask any soldier today what this war is about and you will not get the unified answer from Normandy...no, you will get responses based on political and economic tensions. (IMO) My father served, and I see how he is treated today......In the end I can only say that war is meaninglesss....we as a species must evolve past these petty disputes and become a free, united world. Not one that is based on power, politics, and strife. It reminds me of the saying " We must first help ourselves before we can help others." (Unknown quotest)

Darkwolf

Ask any soldier today what this war is about and you will not get the unified answer from Normandy...no, you will get responses based on political and economic tensions. (IMO) My father served, and I see how he is treated today......In the end I can only say that war is meaninglesss....we as a species must evolve past these petty disputes and become a free, united world. Not one that is based on power, politics, and strife. It reminds me of the saying \" We must first help ourselves before we can help others.\" (Unknown quotest)

--------------------

Ok, heres how I see this war, what I think the politicians know and should be upfront about. If we wanted oil, there are much easier ways to get it than invading and occupying a country then having to ship it back over the ocean. Mexico has a huge and mostly untapped oil reserve. Why woulden't we just sieze that instead of screwing around in the middle east? Iraq is a foothold in the reagion. It was the most democratic country there before Saddam took power, and remains the place where non muslims are the most accepted.
Why do we need a foothold?
Beacause the fundimentalist islamic bloc is a problem (see flaming sky scrapers) The philosophy of islam calls explicitly for world domination, by force if nessisary. They actually consider failure to be a muslim to be an act of war against god. The more fundimentalist factions have gained power in the reagion within the last fifty years or so, and have become increasingly agressive. A showdown with any culture that they come into contact with is inevatable by the very nature of their dominating religious pholosophy. In Osama's letter to america, his cheif complaint is that we do not live by muslim law.
So, we are going to have to take the entire world apart, country by country, and break the hold of the fundimentalists, or eventually they will be knocking at our door in a much more credible way than just a few terrorist attacks. We had better win this one. If we stop now, they won't, and our children or grandchildren will eventually pay the price.
As to your comments about growing out of it, won't happen and anyone who says that we need to unite and live peacefully under a unified government is either smoking something and not sharing, or an agent of an order that will look alot more like "Brave New World" than "Paradisio".

Cornelia

Darkwolf,
Mexico reserves are far far from Middle East numbers. Stealing Mexico reserves can provide only some years of US energy independence, then the problem will rise again.
Middle East holds the ultimate source: enough for the whole world for the next (more or less) 20 years... can you imagine how much is this for US only (and their allies, which will be provided of oil depending on their wish to serve... ;))

Oil is peaking right now. Better run to put a flag over the huge reserves in Middle East... or we'll face blackmail from those fundamentalist countries and power cuts because the mullah ordered it! :lol:

CaryP

original post by ZeoEmeraude:
If ya ask me...if a draft is initiated...I will go to Canada or Mexico before fighting for an unworthy cause....Morality only goes so far.

Hey Zeo,

You might want to check into some other countries. Canada has already signed a treaty with the U.S. that basically allows "draft dodgers" to be extradited back home. Mexico I believe has a similar agreement. If terror level "red" is declared Rex 84 takes over with FEMA and the U.S. has access to Canada, Mexico and several Caribbean nations. I'd think Belise is probably your best bet in the western hemisphere. A draft is coming in the first half of 2005 IMO. Ongoing global war can't be prosecuted without a much larger military.

Since this thread is about the draft I'll defer comments on "why" we're in Iraq instead of Mexico. The PNAC agenda is something you might want to check out to get an idea as to my thoughts though. Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm a conspiracy nut.

Cary

P.S. Cornelia, are you sure we're not related? We keep coming down on the same side of geopolitical thought.

StarLord

Cornelia, as far as the Bigest resevoir of oil goes, are we perhaps forgetting Siberia? Seems to me that National Geographic had a different viewpoint about 10 some years ago and mentioned that Siberia made the ME look like a half empty bucket when compared to it.

Problem is, Siberia is so difficult to work a good part of the year, same as Alaska. There are also large reserves of the coast of California that have not been tapped yet thanks to the help of the environ-mentalists. (thank God, I hate crude oil mixed with my Sushi)

As far as the draft goes, If the call goes out, folks are going to have to serve. Sometimes you have to pay the bill of freedom wether you want to or not. 50 years ago you had to fight to get a space in line at the recruiting line. Now, they may have to fight to get you in that line. Bottom line, Freedom is not Free.

Darkwolf

Darkwolf,
Mexico reserves are far far from Middle East numbers. Stealing Mexico reserves can provide only some years of US energy independence, then the problem will rise again.

That is not actually true. Mexico has a huge ammount of oil. The only reason that on paper the middle east has so much more is that only a tiny percentage of what Mexico has is being developed. Why I don't know. They have enough in the resources department to be a very rich country. Instead they seem to prefer to be a third world nation.

Starlord is absolutly right about Siberia, but who'se going to try to seize that? Some very powerful people might take a real dim view of it. (and you might get a really BRIGHT view)

As to our motives in Iraq, well the Islamic fundis want us dead and need to be stopped AND the neocons see an oppurtunity to further their perpetual war agenda. Unless somone comes up with a brilliant idea on how to end the Jihads, we in fact have no choice but to go along with it.

ZeoEmeraude

I don't think that we will see the end of the "oil problem" until a U.S flag sits in these countries in the M.E. There is however another source of oil....Canada. Who can say tho folks, I think we should all drive electric cars, and live in harmony.....Ooops, lemme wake up. On a serious note, it really doesn't matter anyway...unless a clean,reliable, alternate form of energy can be harnessed, wars will still continue to be waged over oil.

Darkwolf

...unless a clean,reliable, alternate form of energy can be harnessed, wars will still continue to be waged over oil.

Hydrogen fuel cells are probably where its at. I say that not beacause JT said it but beacause that shows the most promise for a technology that is cost effective, clean, and relitivly safe.
Also, when people say we're running out of oil, they are only talking about the oil located above 20,000 feet of surface level. There are many times more oil below that level than above, so we need to be looking at a cheap way of getting at the deep stuff as well. The oil crisis isn't an insurmountable problem, its just going to take some thinking and invention to get around.