The Grandmother Paradox

MutableTimeLine

Re: The Grandmother Paradox

FarStar, if these travelers want go into the future from the timeline they altered to see the long-term effect, how do they get back to their time? How do they chose what future to visit? That\'s what I don\'t understand. Help me to. Realistic (your theory) or unrealistic (mine), no one wants to lose the security or comort zone of their lifestyle if some person could journey backward through time and change events. Maybe I\'ve watched too much Back to the Future.

Farstar65

<a href=\'http://chronos.ws/\' target=\'_blank\'>http://chronos.ws/</a>
<span style=\'font-family:Times New Roman\'>

MutableTimeLine

You're right, you're right. It would be best used as an observational tool. It's just a long-standing curiousity I have concerning causality that's all. Paradox is problematic, I'll definitely agree. Cause how can something happen and not happen simultaneously? Personally, as fascinated as I am with time travel theory I think in actually it would be dangerous.

JRSpencer

One point/counterpoint I know about time travel theory is that if it were possible it would have happened. Since our lives are "pre-destined" or that the lives we will lead is already history from the frame of reference of some date in the future. So if someone were to go back to Sat. October 11, 1975 and hold a press conference on the White House lawn, it would have already happened.

Killing your grandmother? What if some bystander saw you and shot you dead? Basically defeats the whole purpose.

MTL has an interesting theory, but no one seems to agree. I see why though since it goes against conventional conjectures. Ah, it's okay.

MutableTimeLine

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"JRSpencer\")</div>
MTL has an interesting theory, but no one seems to agree. I see why though since it goes against conventional conjectures. Ah, it's okay.[/b]

Your empathy is appreciated. Your avatar looks like some actor. Who is that?

darkbreed

Mutable:
Hm, I guess if you travel back in time, and change something in history, and you then try travel into the future again you will end up in a future where the changes you did have happend. To get into the future you originally came from you probably would have to travel back even more in time first, to a point in history right before you did any changes, and go from there into the future as soon as quickly before doing anything.

JRSpencer:
I don't quite understand your statement, are you saying that time travel can't be done because it hasn't happend? In that case, how would you know if it has happend or not?

MutableTimeLine

Oh. Reminds me of the hop-skip-and-jumping Titor described on the official website about how he was supposed to return to his time. (Even though he couldn't get back to the exact world he left, but close enough so no one would notice.)

darkbreed

It's the only way I can see it being done, unless one have a way of entering the exact destination into the time machine somehow and let it teleport you into the correct dimension (as in alternate timeline/dimenison). It's hard enough to try understand how it would be possible to chose what exact date and time you would travel to in the first place.

JRSpencer

MTL:

Glad I could "understand" what you're going through. LOL. There's actually a funny story behind the avatar. You're right. It is an actor on a WB Show "Jack and Bobby." I never knew or cared about it until my sister and her friends started saying that I looked like this guy on the show. I thought it was BS, but human curiousity led me to check it out. It is uncanny how much I resemble the guy! It freaks the hell out of me. I found an image of what I feel is a cynical, all-knowing smirk so I decided use it instead of recreating it myself.

DARKBREED:

Whoa, whoa. Hold your horses, Betsy. I'm new here. Be kind. If you don't know what I'm talkin' 'bout, then you're unfamiliar with Stephen Hawking's Chronology Protection Conjecture which is a variation of Fermi's Paradox of why there are no otherworldly beings on 3rd Rock from the Sun. Hawking feels we would have been awash with travelers from the future if time travel were possible. Seems like a weak way out, but he's Hawking and I am not.

I don't know if physical time travel has occurred. But I know John Titor sure as hell didn't "hop-skip-and-jump" from worldline to worldline then back down the rabbit hole again.

Please be sure to reply.

JRSpencer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"darkbreed\")</div>
It's hard enough to try understand how it would be possible to chose what exact date and time you would travel to in the first place.[/b]

If people have mind-numbing intellect to construct a machine that can break the barrier of time, they might install a perpetual calendar AI into the machine. This typical forum can tell you how many hours ago you last visited and at what time. I'm sure the brains behind a working temporal phase-shifter would include something to allow arrival to specific dates.