The Grandmother Paradox

mr_bumpkin

Re: The Grandmother Paradox

Yeah. If a new timeline is actually created when you jump, then yeah, nobody would be hitting a timeline that was being jumped from.

Well, unless......
Let's say you create a new timeline by jumping, then someone like you still manages to exist in this new timeline and makes a jump from this new timeline to another.... but this would still void the grandmother paradox.

If you create a new timeline, however, is the one you came from destroyed to make room, or can timelines just appear out of nowhere?

It seems strange to me that the act of making a time jump would cause a whole time line to fully come into being. That's a lot to be created all on one person's account.

darkbreed

I think it's only for the traveler the timelines seem to be created, but in reality i think they are allready existing there. So I believe it's more about teleporting through dimensions than actual travel through time in such cases. So in other words noting new is really coming into being, its allready there, just gotta get there.

Anders

With thoughts like these, let's just hope that the universe is in fact infinite. If there exists a universe of possibilities for timelines, we are going to need somewhere to put them all.;)

m6scott

So are there many time lines out there probably if there are time travelers. Are there parallel universes I would like to think so . Sounds like another forum idea?

Billy Pilgrim

Heh, a friend and I were discussing time travel. I said that, knowing my luck, I would time travel back in time for a fraction of a second, only to come back to see everything as I left it, except that earth is cracking open and the lava men are attacking us.

bowtiesarecool

I've always heard it called the grand Father, paradox, but I don't suppose it makes a difference. I've always thought this theory was pretty ridiculous. Why would someone go back in time and kill their grandparent? First of all, if they're smart enough to figure out time travel, then I'd hope they'd reaize this could prevent them from being born. Second, if you're a homicidal maniac who hates your grandmother/father, I don't think you'd go through all the trouble of making a time machine just to kill them. A gun is a lot cheaper and easier to acquire (unfortunately).
And well, the next thing I was going to say is not appropriate to say here because of my concern for another user.

I am NOT advocating shooting one's grandparents (believe me, if I never shot mine, then yours can't be that bad ,lol.), nor am promoting guns (that's the last thing I'd want to do), I'm just saying why I think this theory is silly. It makes me wonder if what scientists actually do all day is sit around and come up with nonsense theories. I want to get paid for that too!