The Power of Positive Thinking

TnWatchdog

Results come from productivity and require resources, ....usually of something tangible. Positive thinking cannot substitute for tangible, feasible, real, solutions to problems. Believe you can overcome anything, ..be as positive as you like, ...know the difference.

Positive thinking while in the middle of a hot dry desert with an 11 day walk to water, a 3 day supply of it, and a broken leg, ..is useless. Unless someone comes to bail you out, you are most likely going to die, ..regardless of however you may feel about it.
I'm not sure here. The negative person gives up...no water, no hope, and he dies in the desert, while being buried by shifting sand.
The positive person thinks about a night with his GF after a few cold refreshing beers. He then starts walking with hope and desire...he's got a purpose driven life. He is eventually spotted by a search team, given water, and taken to his GF who is wearing a thong and just happens to have a few cold ones on ice back at their room at the Paradise Resort.
The moral of the story...the positive guy gets the beer and girl while the negative person gets nothing but sand.

AAA

Results come from productivity and require resources, ....usually of something tangible. Positive thinking cannot substitute for tangible, feasible, real, solutions to problems. Believe you can overcome anything, ..be as positive as you like, ...know the difference.

Positive thinking while in the middle of a hot dry desert with an 11 day walk to water, a 3 day supply of it, and a broken leg, ..is useless. Unless someone comes to bail you out, you are most likely going to die, ..regardless of however you may feel about it.
I'm not sure here. The negative person gives up...no water, no hope, and he dies in the desert, while being buried by shifting sand.
The positive person thinks about a night with his GF after a few cold refreshing beers. He then starts walking with hope and desire...he's got a purpose driven life. He is eventually spotted by a search team, given water, and taken to his GF who is wearing a thong and just happens to have a few cold ones on ice back at their room at the Paradise Resort.
The moral of the story...the positive guy gets the beer and girl while the negative person gets nothing but sand.

The positive person is happy about getting nothing but sand. The negative person is bummed about getting nothing but sand. The realist thinks in terms of the problem verses a solution, but still gets nothing but sand.

Nothing but sand is nothing but sand, no matter how you view it.

TnWatchdog

The positive person is happy about getting nothing but sand. The negative person is bummed about getting nothing but sand. The realist thinks in terms of the problem verses a solution, but still gets nothing but sand.

That's great...Santa has an hour glass wrapped up for you. lol

AAA

That's great...Santa has an hour glass wrapped up for you. lol

I don't mean to devalue positive thinking. Indeed I do understand and value things like perseverance and determination, willpower, hope, etc. Do not interpret my statements as necessarily to justify surrender. I am simply complicating the conversation by adding a realist perspective.

It is similar to asking how 4 makes you feel. Does 2+2 make you angry? What is the most charming characteristic of the (=)equals symbol?

It is simple logic, values and principles to determine a solution, as are so many of life's circumstantial difficulties.

If you're falling from the sky with no parachute, you can be thinking whatever makes you feel better about the last two minutes of your life, or you could be analyzing the situation on a strictly logical basis in order to determine any and all possible solutions or damage control measures available.

I would be figuring my altitude and rate of fall/drag ratio to slow myself down as much as possible while I try to spot and steer toward water, haystacks, or anything in range and remotely suited to absorb the impact with as little damage as possible, hoping like hell I live or walk again. But the whole time, I am counting on death because it is the most logical outcome.

Realism.

TnWatchdog

I don't mean to devalue positive thinking. Indeed I do understand and value things like perseverance and determination, willpower, hope, etc. Do not interpret my statements as necessarily to justify surrender. I am simply complicating the conversation by adding a realist perspective.

It is similar to asking how 4 makes you feel. Does 2+2 make you angry? What is the most charming characteristic of the (=)equals symbol?

It is simple logic, values and principles to determine a solution, as are so many of life's circumstantial difficulties.

If you're falling from the sky with no parachute, you can be thinking whatever makes you feel better about the last two minutes of your life, or you could be analyzing the situation on a strictly logical basis in order to determine any and all possible solutions or damage control measures available.

I would be figuring my altitude and rate of fall/drag ratio to slow myself down as much as possible while I try to spot and steer toward water, haystacks, or anything in range and remotely suited to absorb the impact with as little damage as possible, hoping like hell I live or walk again. But the whole time, I am counting on death because it is the most logical outcome.

Realism.

I would think the positive person has everything to look forward to and being realistic he puts on his parachute before the jump. The negative person justs jumps and expects to take what is given him...death.

AAA

Realism.

I would think the positive person has everything to look forward to and being realistic he puts on his parachute before the jump. The negative person justs jumps and expects to take what is given him...death.

Again, it isn't about positive/negative. It is about how accurate focused methodical careful meticulous and orderly you were about packing the chute. It is about following a step by step checklist with the utmost care and attention to detail in order to ensure a very low to no possibility of failure.

Is it right or not? ..or do we just call it correct because we were in a good mood when preparing parachutes?