Three Laws of Chronodynamics

Chronodynamic Jim

Re: Three Laws of Chronodynamics

If a traveler only visits an event once in his entire existance, then yes there is only one of him there. This is no different than what you and I do every day. Events come and go and there is only one of us at each event because we visit it once. To do otherwise requires a time machine.

Even with a time machine, a traveler may visit an event he would normally not be able to event without one. For instance, an event before his birth, or one after his death. If he visited this event once, then there would only be one of him, like you said. To bring this point up in conjunction with the above Jesus example is pointless since the traveller did visit twice. To say "if he only went once, then there would only be one of him" as if this is some revelation is an error.

If the traveler went three times within his life time, lets say as a very old man, then wheter he is aware of it or not during each of his trips, there are two copies of him there. His first trip as a young man, there was two other older copies of himself there. During his second trip there was a younger version and an older version. At his last visit ther are two younger versions there. From his point of view, this event took place three times, at different times in his life. But Second Law tells us this is not the case. Any given event happens once and only once. Hence the travelers three visits must happen simultaneously. From this it can be said that the total number of people present at any given event is equal to the amount of natives(non time travelers) plus the amount of time travelers multiplied by each traveler's total visits to that event.

Lucidus

Not necessarily, you are following a predisposed script.

You're right. I was sticking with the original story as presented by Chronodynamic Jim.

If the traveler only traveled once there would be no duplication of his own self regardless of age.

You're right. In that case the TT moved through the crowd to try and save Jesus. He did not encounter a man with scar on his bicept. But as he approached Jesus the Roman soldier still gives him nasty cut for his trouble. Upon returning to the present, the TT decides to never try that again.

Secondly, what happenes if all this was for naught due to the fact that none of this happened in the first place? As in Jesus was never crucified there but rather taken away and delt with elsewhere.

In this case, the TT travels back in time to save Jesus, but when he gets there he finds that nothing is happening. The TT decides that either he is at the wrong place, the wrong time, or both. The TT has studied Aramaic, Greek, and Latin to prepare for his trip so he asks around a bit and discovers that a man matching Jesus's description was taken out of the city by Roman soldiers earlier that day. He returns to 2005 A.D. with the knowledge that the history of Jesus as it is known, is wrong.

All of these stories are of course fiction, but they are all consistent the laws of chronodynamics.

Chronodynamic Jim

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"StarLord\")</div>
So tell me, whats the difference between time traveling and time dynamics?[/b]

time is a property of the universe, it has qualities and it governs some aspects of the behavior of the universe. I would define these qualities as Chronomechanics. Chronodynamics would then deal with that branch of science that dealt with the methods and consequences of the manipulation of these qualities. In that sense time dynamics, as I've defined it, is purely fictional, and only useful as a guide for understanding the nature of any universe described by it.

time travel would naturaly be any endevour that involved itself in the afore mentioned manipulation of time. Provided the results of said endevor led to any reaction atypical to our everyday interactions with the universe through time.

Chronodynamic Jim

Lucidus, you are displaying an unparalleled grasp of Chronodynamics. I'm honored.

It has been my experience on these boards, both this new one and its older incarnation, that the posters are from such a varied and diverse background that most have not quite understood what I was trying to get at with these Laws. I'm glad you seem to understand and agree with them.

If you don't mind I would like to test your assimilation of the concepts contained therin. I'm going to post a short story that I wrote, similar in nature to the Jesus illustration. I will not, however post the very end. I would like you to guess what the end will be. It will be obvious and predictable if you truely grasp Chronodynamics. Are you game?

Lucidus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Chronodynamic Jim\")</div>
Lucidus, you are displaying an unparalleled grasp of Chronodynamics. I'm honored.

It has been my experience on these boards, both this new one and its older incarnation, that the posters are from such a varied and diverse background that most have not quite understood what I was trying to get at with these Laws. I'm glad you seem to understand and agree with them.

If you don't mind I would like to test your assimilation of the concepts contained therin. I'm going to post a short story that I wrote, similar in nature to the Jesus illustration. I will not, however post the very end. I would like you to guess what the end will be. It will be obvious and predictable if you truely grasp Chronodynamics. Are you game?[/b]

Absolutley, it sounds like fun! :grin:

StarLord

If the traveler went three times within his life time, lets say as a very old man, then wheter he is aware of it or not during each of his trips, there are two copies of him there. His first trip as a young man, there was two other older copies of himself there. During his second trip there was a younger version and an older version. At his last visit ther are two younger versions there. From his point of view, this event took place three times, at different times in his life. But Second Law tells us this is not the case. Any given event happens once and only once. Hence the travelers three visits must happen simultaneously.

No, that's not possible due to the fact that both the second and the last traveler remember visiting more than once. The last traveler remembers visiting there three distinct times, regardless of what your dynamic says, it cannot change the actual memory. Once experienced, your dynamic cannot take it away.

Chronodynamic Jim

Once upon a time in the not to distant future, Humankind decided it was high time they got off their collective rear ends and start colonizing space. The first step in this endevour was to establish a manned base on the moon. To accomplish this feat it was decided to send to the moon, six married couples of excelent health, top physical condition, and wide genetic diversity.
It was a good thing too, because no sooner had these six married couples landed on the moon, than four monsterous alien warships commenced to come out of no where, take up orbit around the planet Earth, and blast every last living thing on the planet into oblivion! Their work complete the four alien ships broke orbit and without so much as a smirk returned to the void from whence they came.
As can be expected, the six married couples left on the moon ( left anywhere for that matter!) were understandably peturbed. For wont of a better idea, they marched back into their space ship and returned to what was left of their planet.
The task that lay before them was daunting to say the least, but what choice had they? None. Any choice they might have had in life was stripped away the instant the first alien ship opened fire. They must rebuild, and rebuild they did.
After countless generations Humankind once again found themselves perched on the crest of history. As before, it was collectively decided that the time had come to spread beyond the womb of their world. But there the similarity between this outreach and the one previous ended. This brand of Human was much more wary. Much more cautious, suspicious and above all else, much, much more cruel.
Whereas, before Humankind had been on a cusp of exploration and colinization, this new breed of Human, risin like a phoenix from the ashes of that unforgotten act of cruelty, was interested in only one thing. Conquest!
Never again would they be caught with their pants down. Never again would they allow any other race to cause them to suffer.
When Humankind finally broke on to the galactic scene it was with a ferocity unparalleled in the annuls of history. They swept over the galaxy like a plague, until no one was out of reach. The Galaxy may have gotten in the first punch, but Humankind had won the fight.
Soon a resistance movement began to take shape. A small band of freedom fighters began to wage a war against their Human overlords. It was a war doomed to failure, the masters were just to powerful. They were everywhere.
But then whispers began to be heard. Whispers of a new plan, a new technology. It was said that, while Humans may be all-powerful now, and may be everywhere now, it was not always so. Humans, like most races originated on one planet. There was a time when the galaxy was not over run with their kind. A time when they were all on one planet. Vulnerable. If a way could be found, to travel back...

Finish it.

Chronodynamic Jim

No, that's not possible due to the fact that both the second and the last traveler remember visiting more than once. The last traveler remembers visiting there three distinct times, regardless of what your dynamic says, it cannot change the actual memory. Once experienced, your dynamic cannot take it away.
what they do or don't remember has no bearing on what happened. As a young man, he remembers one trip and getting attacked by the roman. As a older man he remembers two trips, the first when he got hurt and the second. Finally as an old man he remembers all three trips. It's all a matter of Point of View.
Refer to the First Law.

Lucidus

If a way could be found, to travel back...

If a way could be found, to travel back in time then the resistance could destroy the hated humans before they started vicious wars of galatic conquest. The resistance scientists had developed a technology that would allow them to just that. It was agreed that the resistance would send four warships back to a time in Earth's history well before the humans developed space-faring capabilities and destroy the entire population of the planet. The plan was carried-out but the resistance warriors took no pleasure in destroying an entire species. As the warships left Earth's orbit, they did not notice a small lunar base populated by twelve humans....