time travel

bobby harris

hey john i cant remember where i use to post my thread about time travel to the past back to the 1860's period i came back to paranormalis so thought i could find it but dont remember but i am still interested to find ways to travel back to the 19th century period starting with 1861 i have been very serious about this for a very long time and am in the right mood to do it

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Why do you need to go back to 1861?

Let us know more! :)

Octavusprime

I think he wants the confederate states to win the civil war... Changing something of that magnitude would be very difficult as well as foolish. Who knows. We could all be speaking German if the US wasn't where it was at the time of Hitler, Stalin and the rising Japanese sun.

Leslie

I was told in some timelines the South did win. It's only hearsay so I can't back it up with a link or anything. Didn't one of the TT's say that all of the possible outcomes have already happened? (or something like that)

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I heard about such a timeline too, I guess they talk about it somewhere on the Internet.

As far as time isn't linear, then if it's the case, all of those possible outcomes already happened. I have a hard time imagining time as not linear.

Ren

Does everybody get their freedom when the robots become cheaper than human slaves?
I heard an interesting time-line story where Lincoln lived and sent all the freed slaves back to Africa.
In this time-line, unfortunately we may be headed for race wars like the ones in Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia.

Octavusprime

The thing that hard for me to grasp conceptually about the multiple timeline theory is the infinite number of timelines possible.

It's easy to imagine winning this war or losing that war but if you think of all the possible choices made in just a single day by one single person it's just mind boggling.

The amount of decisions the human brain makes everyday is huge. You don't realize it but the average person makes around 3000 choices each day and most of them are unconscious ones.

So if we multiply these by 365 days a year we are looking at over one million timelines that are "created" yearly for just a single person. Now if we consider the 7 billion people in the world.... You get the point.

So is my view of multiple timelines correct or are these timelines only created when a time traveler goes back and makes a change?

Ren

You can't even grasp how many stars there are in the universe.
There is only one time-line for natural events.
There are countless time-lines for more dynamic life. They are finite time-lines but who cares enough to count them all?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Octavusprime

So if we multiply these by 365 days a year we are looking at over one million timelines that are "created" yearly for just a single person. Now if we consider the 7 billion people in the world.... You get the point.

So is my view of multiple timelines correct or are these timelines only created when a time traveler goes back and makes a change?

You can choose whatever you want. Since we don't have any real facts to choose from. Theory is just another name for "Lets make believe."

My personal choice is that all the timelines already exist. Created when the universe was born. So when you make a choice you just zigzag back and forth between all the already existing timelines. Your brain is connected to all the other "Yous" in existence. So maybe that is what the other 90% of your brain does. It keeps track of where you are. And it switches places with another you on another timeline when you make a choice. Of course if you do something radical like I do, like do more zagging then zigging then you wind up on a timeline where your physical surroundings are slightly different.

Octavusprime

You can't even grasp how many stars there are in the universe.
There is only one time-line for natural events.
There are countless time-lines for more dynamic life. They are finite time-lines but who cares enough to count them all?
I don't wish to count timelines I used the numbers to illustrate a point.

The question is: Are timelines created via time travel events or do all possible timelines exist?

If the answer is the latter than the number of timelines would be near infinite.

As for natural events having one timeline... Everything including this text could be considered "natural". I doubt the laws of physics put more weight on one event verses another. A bee nest getting invaded by a bear is just as "important" as a nuclear bomb dropping on an American city from a bees perspective.

Selective timelines could only exist If we create them, no?

This is me thinking out loud, I'd like to get others views on the matter. Sorry for hijacking your thread.