TimeBenders machine ideas.

HackimerRob

It's not really what I'd call a black hole. I'm actually just concerned with making spacetime think the matter inside the ring is going at a slower speed of time than the matter outside of the ring. Thereby creating a "gravity tornado" of sorts that hopefully won't rip apart the matter inside of it.

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor

"gravity tornado" is not the way it works it is magnetic fields traveling faster then light. My site has a lot of science on it about Time and Gravity.

Professor Opmmur @};-

HackimerRob

It's nice to know I'll have a team of enthusiastic helpers. Has anyone had a chance to look at what formulas and requirements I might need to get started, like the size of the thing and electricity needed to put into it to do the tricking?

I believe that Einstein's feild equations say spacetime curvature increases with an increase in local energy density. It would seem that a very powerful electromagnet many magnitudes beyond the capabilities of current technology could increase energy density enough to cause time dilation you could time travel with. Two major problems get in the way. First, you would have to use an electromagnet that was sheilded, meaning that the electromagnetic feild did not extend outside the electromagnet itself. Otherwise the EM would mess up your crew and equipment in a very major way. Second , you would have to deal with intense gravitation. I have heard of a proposed time machine called a gott shell which uses gravitational time dilation yet is safe for its occupants because the shell, which is perfectly spherical, exerts no gravitational tug on its occupants due to it's spherical shape. This of course says nothing about anybody who is outside the time machine.

As for "tricking" spacetime I don't know. I'm not sure what it would mean to "trick" spacetime. To trick something is to decieve it. How can you decieve something unless it has an intellegence? Or is the term "tricking spacetime" metaphorical?

Ralan

I'll help out if I can. It seems to me that this machine will slow time for the person using it rather than actually causing time travel... am I right about that? If so, it would be theoretically possible to effectively make time stop completely with the right combinations of variables; that would be a great starting point for working out if time travel into the past is possible.

Electrical power being pumped into magnets = I don't know if it's volts, or amps, or ohms even anyone else? (ELEC)

Power in Watts, energy in Joules for better equations.

Power (watts) = Current (amps) x Voltage (volts).

Joule = The energy produced by 1 watt in a second.

As for \"tricking\" spacetime I don't know. I'm not sure what it would mean to \"trick\" spacetime. To trick something is to decieve it. How can you decieve something unless it has an intellegence? Or is the term \"tricking spacetime\" metaphorical?

I think its meant to mean bending the physical rules of spacetime without breaking them (which isn't possible).

Ralan

First, you would have to use an electromagnet that was sheilded, meaning that the electromagnetic feild did not extend outside the electromagnet itself.

Would lower power electromagnets blocking the main electromagnets on the outside have any effect on the spread of the field?

This of course says nothing about anybody who is outside the time machine.

That doesn't seem too serious if the experiment is done somewhere out of the way, like in a desert. The main problem would be that no one could directly observe it or be there to help if something goes wrong.

Safety first. :huh:

Ralan

Gott Shell

In essence, a Gott shell is a huge concentration of mass. The shell's sheer density creates a gravitational field that slows down the clock for anyone enclosed within it. Outside, time rolls along at its familiar pace, but inside, it creeps. Thus the Gott shell is useful for travel into the future only. If you're planning a jaunt to the past using a Gott loop, you might want to bring along a Gott shell for the return trip. What to do, step by step:

?Salvage scrap planetary matter to assemble a mass equal to or greater than Jupiter's.
?Working slowly so as not to produce sudden gravitational disturbances, assemble the matter around yourself in a sphere. For your comfort - and to avoid inadvertently creating a black hole later in the process - be sure to leave a cavity larger than 18 feet in diameter at the center.
?Stock the cockpit with lots of food, drink, diversions, and back issues of Wired. Your journey might take a while.
?Using a high-powered energy source, compress the shell. The greater the compression, the faster you'll be transported - up to five times the pace of ordinary time for a Jupiter-sized mass, faster for a larger ball of matter.
?After waiting the desired interval - several decades works best - slowly decompress the shell and emerge. You'll find yourself in the same place but in a distant epoch. Welcome to the future.

Quote; Michio Kaku, Professor of Theoretical Physics, City University of New York.