TimeBenders machine ideas.

Phoenix

Originally posted by Ralan@Jul 19 2004, 10:50 AM
Gott Shell

In essence, a Gott shell is a huge concentration of mass. The shell's sheer density creates a gravitational field that slows down the clock for anyone enclosed within it. Outside, time rolls along at its familiar pace, but inside, it creeps. Thus the Gott shell is useful for travel into the future only. If you're planning a jaunt to the past using a Gott loop, you might want to bring along a Gott shell for the return trip. What to do, step by step:

?Salvage scrap planetary matter to assemble a mass equal to or greater than Jupiter's.
?Working slowly so as not to produce sudden gravitational disturbances, assemble the matter around yourself in a sphere. For your comfort - and to avoid inadvertently creating a black hole later in the process - be sure to leave a cavity larger than 18 feet in diameter at the center.
?Stock the cockpit with lots of food, drink, diversions, and back issues of Wired. Your journey might take a while.
?Using a high-powered energy source, compress the shell. The greater the compression, the faster you'll be transported - up to five times the pace of ordinary time for a Jupiter-sized mass, faster for a larger ball of matter.
?After waiting the desired interval - several decades works best - slowly decompress the shell and emerge. You'll find yourself in the same place but in a distant epoch. Welcome to the future.

Quote; Michio Kaku, Professor of Theoretical Physics, City University of New York.
interesting quote Ralan thanks. I need to get those equations that Rob has been asking for.

Phoenix

Ok sorry about this being incomplete as far as being worked out but here is what I gather so far.

1st it is obvious Bender was using Time Dialation concepts so here are the equations involving them
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase...iv/tdil.html#c2
tdil1.gif

Basically 'T' represents the amount of time you want to "go", 'To' represents the amount of time you have to "wait", 'c' is the speed of light, and 'v' is the speed you need to travel to get that time dialation

to move one week into the future in one hour requires going .9999823 the speed of light.

If we take the weight of the passanger as 80 kg they become about 190000 kg at this speed.

Now acceleration is built into this device because it is circular.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase.../circ.html#circ
cirmot.gif

I do know 1eV = 1.602176462 x 10 ^ -19 kg (m/s^2)

I am not quite sure how that relates to the length of the wire and volts needed but I am fairly sure it has something to do with faraday's law.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase...ric/farlaw.html
farlaw.gif

Well that is what I have put together so far. Anyone want to take it from here?

HackimerRob

Phoenix, this is well done thanks, I will print this and take it home to work out things.
This Gott Shell is close to what I'm saying, (and yes, Ralan, it would really just be slowing time for the "rider" rather than causing time travel. Which in essence is the same thing. but the subtle inferred differences are there. Anyway I'm glad people are picking up on this thread. Phoenix, and all, let me work with these equations and I'll see if we're talking planet sized magnets thast would suck the mercury out of our blood or something more manageable.

Basically the effect I'm imagining would be that this system would have to exist in a facility that is managed by a full time staff. Of course in the event of something going wrong a-la Doctor Octopus's "accident" in the spiderman-2, (which I just saw yesterday, and oddly, that contraption reminded me of this thread, here it is bumped again after that - WEIRD!) someone would need to be able to shut it off.

Time would pass for an hour inside the machine, but weeks or months or years would pass outside. My hope would be, I guess that one could travel far enough into the future where reverse travel had been discovered, and the two projects could be merged. (it's very much like Wells machine, but without the reverse.

Phoenix

which I just saw yesterday, and oddly, that contraption reminded me of this thread, here it is bumped again after that - WEIRD!
Sounds like synchronicities, I take that as a good thing. :)

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

I think that if this thing is going to be built, it should be built small at first. Try putting something inside that would let you determine if it did, in fact, travel forward through time.

Phoenix

As far as the size goes Bender said it was big enough for him to step inside. For some reason three feet in diameter is coming to mind. Bender said the most expensive part of the machine were the cesium clocks needed for the accuracy of the relay. He didn't really emphasis the magnets as all that important, it seemed to be calculating the length of the wire that was the difficult part for him.

HackimerRob

Heggy, I in no way doubt that I would built a small prototype. First I intend to simply put a watch in the small machine. The clocks and timing mechanisms Phoenix I don't think should be as hard as Bender seemed to want to make it. Electronics after all employ electricity (I know, DUH, but...) and electricity travels almost at the speed of light (well, if it's AC it doesn't travell at all, once again but...) any clock in a circuitboard with the correct timing mechanism you could possibly get at radio shack should be able to count almost at the speed of light. Am I wrong? Maybe, I'm no electronics major or hobby radio shack enthusiast. I would think it would hinge MUCH more on the equations we've got up above thanks again to Phoenix.

Phoenix

Opps I am thinking about TreverHale.

Ummm I don't remember much about TimeBender. Wasn't he the one that was time traveling his iguana? He used a 90 degree angle on the coils.

Ok let me look for some more electromagnetic equations. The ones I got were based on TreverHale's design. I am going to see if I can find some Telsa stuff and maybe some Wibert B Smith stuff.