Transcription error, need help

StarLord

Waits patiently by a quaint little al fresco cafe at midnight near the champs bontemps. Munching on cold fried chicken, a flag of old Britania draped around his shoulders, sipping Dom Perignon '35. While watching StarLord, one gets the subconscious jolt of having seen this before somewhere........in fact, now that you mention it, a mad doctor that looks just like peter sellers and he's draped in the flag, standing in a boat, threatening to douse him self with gas and strike a match unless aima tells the truth.

StarLord takes another fried chicken leg and quitely munches away waiting patiently.......

Ralan

I don't get it. She(he?)'s been on this thread three different times since all those questions were posted, and still hasn't replied.

:angry:

StarLord

Hmmm.... couldn't be me, there is plenty of chicken. I am just waiting for the TRUTH

HackimerRob

Ralan, maybe she/he is specifically looking for a response form someone else?

P.S. what was with the talkie post you removed?

Ralan

aima_tellia has replied with answers to questions once already.

The 'talkie' thing was when I was in here at the same time as aima earlier today and asked himher to come in chat. But it was broken.

aima_tellia

I apologize if I am being rude by not answering all of your questions, but my main purpose in coming here is to check for signs that someone has seen my message. Let me take the time now to answer a few.

Are you male or female, and how old are you?

I am male. It's more difficult to say how old I am. While I know how to measure time, my culture doesn't deem it important to keep time in everyday life. Birthdays and anniversaries still seem strange and depressing to me, especially for people with such short lifespans.

Did you intentionally travel to this time, or was it an accident?

I was sent to this place and time intentionally.

Are you stranded here?

Yes, but I hope to be rescued one day.

Are you on a mission?

I was sent here to study the culture, but I wasn't given specific instructions. I believe my mentors trusted my natural tendencies would lead me in the direction they wanted.

Where do you come from?

I don't know how to explain the time and place I come from in relation to yours, but I think I must come from a place virtually identical to this one, because the people there look very much like the people here. We must be very far in the future relative to you, because your culture seems stupid, wasteful, and primitive to me, but I don't know how many years come between now and the year I was born. I know this doesn't explain what it's like where I come from, but that's a very big question, and I would like to answer it in more depth at some other time.

Who are the ones who won't copy you back?

They are a class of beings different from and superior to my people, who teach, protect, and provide for us. We share a common ancestor in you, but the mentors have designed themselves to be stronger and more intelligent than the slow process of evolution has made us. This is another topic I would prefer to answer in greater detail at another time.

Ralan

Thanks for replying aima.

Birthdays and anniversaries still seem strange and depressing to me, especially for people with such short lifespans.

So what is the average life expectancy where you come from?

How long have you been here?

You wrote your first message in our English and then again in a foreign language. Is this your native language? What are its origins? How did you learn our language?

How has the Earth changed in the future? What currencies do you use, how has the shape of the lands change, in what different ways are countries governed. Do you still even have countries in our sense?

What medical breakthroughs appear to have occured between the time now and the time you left to come here?

I'm assuming your people no longer use our time system (xxxxAD), as you couldn't give a year you came from. Do you have your own system, or just make do without one?

Cheers, Ralan.

aima_tellia

I see now that my effort to make contact with one of my fellows by use of this medium have failed. If anyone had ever seen my first help call, they would have retrieved me from that point in time, and I would not be here waiting now. I have to try something else, though I lack the resources to do anything that might be effective. I'll continue to answer your questions, but know that my priority now is to acquire the resources to send a help call on some form of mass media.

So what is the average life expectancy where you come from?

I'm not sure, because we don't measure time in our daily lives, but yours seem very short. I've been here for almost five years, and from the measure of that, I think that I must be at least sixty, which is old for you, though among my people I'm not considered very experienced or wise.

How long have you been here?

I think I arrived in November of 2000. It was cold, and a short time later I saw the things which I've come to associate with Christmas.

You wrote your first message in our English and then again in a foreign language. Is this your native language? What are its origins? How did you learn our language?

It is my native language, and though I haven't done a thorough study of its origins, I see the basis for it in several contemporary languages. I learned English the same way you did, by observation, though it was easier than it would've been had I started as an infant. Your language is needlessly complex and full of wasted energy.

How has the Earth changed in the future? What currencies do you use, how has the shape of the lands change, in what different ways are countries governed. Do you still even have countries in our sense?

We use no currency. You survive by trading your time and energy for goods; our goods are given to us by our mentors, and we give our time and energy in thanks. There are no countries. A mentor or a group of mentors take responsibility for us, usually all of our lives.

What medical breakthroughs appear to have occured between the time now and the time you left to come here?

You seem totally unaware of your bodies until they become injured or fall into such disrepair that they become inhabited by parasitic microorganisms. We understand that the best way to care for a machine is to maintain it every day, give it proper fuel and proper cleaning. That's usually enough. If an accident should happen, we replace the part that's broken, but with proper care, your original parts can last you a very long time.

I'm assuming your people no longer use our time system (xxxxAD), as you couldn't give a year you came from. Do you have your own system, or just make do without one?

As I said, we don't keep track of time. Time upsets us, because it reminds us that we will die someday. I know the mentors keep time, but they're kind enough not to share it with us.

CaryP

aima tellia,

Sounds like your culture is either being "parented" by these mentors in a juvenile fashion (babies and small children with good parents don't need to be concerned with time), or your story is well, just a story. Even primative tribes measure time for the coordination of future action, unless you just live day to day with no concern for planning the future. Try and negotiate anything in the next week without distinctions for time (next Tuesday at 8:00 am for instance) and your asking for things to get FUBAR. Do you study history in your culture? Requires some distinctions about time. How do you prepare for changes in the seasons? Do you just live day to day with no concern for future events and contingencies? Your asking for some unplanned reality to bite you on the ass. Makes no sense to me. I'm sure you have some snappy comeback about the brutal vulgarities of our world and how yours is so much better without distinctions surrounding time, but it still doesn't float. I'll shut up here. Any clarifications would be appreciated.

Cary

P.S. Hell, you time traveled to "November 2000" from somewhere in the future. What the hell does that tell you? Without some distinctions about time, you could have wound up anywhere. You wouldn't have a "past" or a "future", only a "present". Sounds uptopian and all, but not realistic. Also time travel would not even be thought about, much less attempted.