Transcription error, need help

Judge Bean

Originally posted by TheHeggy@Aug 9 2004, 07:04 AM
First post sounds like something from the book \"Timeline.\"

I don't buy it.

Well, you have to ask yourself what a stranded person of this type would sound like; and also how you would make sure you sounded if you wanted us to think that you were a stranded person of this type. He has succeeded in the preliminary impression.

However, as Cary has pointed out, it is a culture in which it appears that an extended adolescence is encouraged and cultivated, and that the blurring of time distinctions or conception fits in well with the suspended maturation. One has permanent parents and guardians; one yelps out for help when stranded in the bad world of the present. One is not self sufficient. This is why the Eloi analogy is on point, also.

There is of course no such loss of time concept or usage, since the traveler has distinct notions and feelings of consequence, sequence, and duration, as well as a good idea of the overall passage of time within communities and through history.

The idea of an "advanced" culture dependent upon grownups who know more and better than you what you should do, and only tell you what to do because they love you, is particularly irksome to American males over the age of say, 13 or 14, and does not, to me, represent something to look forward to whatsoever.

StarLord

aima, you are going to have to pony up closer to the bar with proof. Otherwise, your claim is fraught with enough holes to drain spaghetti with. That comes with only a jolly, unassuming little chemical called sodium chloride if you remembered to put it in the water prior to boiling.

Speaking of which, I take it all your food cooks itself perfectly each and every time and pops out of the cooking mechanism when done automatically as you have no concept nor use for time? How would you instruct a new cook in the preparation of food as to the proper moment when the food is properly cooked, they just keep poking it from time to time??? Wait, that couldn't work because that brings you back to a reference point of a passage of something you dont use. Perhaps mentors do all the cooking too? Hmmm.. Yup, if it was me telling this story, I'd tell folks that the mentors do all the cooking too while they watch you.

Now, lets say that one of your friends and you, that do not live with, decide to meet after you have concluded your duties. You clean up and go to the agreed upon place of meeting and you wait, and you wait and you wait, and you wait like what seems forever and still no friend. You stay there until you realized that either you or your friend were in error, point is, how long is too long to wait if you do not use time as a reference? Would you perhaps fall over and die from starvation because you missed feeding many times?

An infrastructure that kept a population of beings alive without the use of a reference for points in time would be impossible. Manufacturing, delivery, delivery dates, promise dates, ordering, shipping, in short, everything associated with a infrastructure

You clearly have not spent enough TIME on thinking your story through in a logical manner. You do have logic where you come from yes?

Your claim of having no use for the passage of time is rediculous at best unless you were dwelling on a plane above the MEST (Matter, Energy, Space, Time)division, where only eternity is used as a reference for the passage of time.

In short, (sigh, yet another reference to time) your story is horse cookies. You do have horses where you come from yes?

HackimerRob

Aima tellia what - it is so fantastic that you have chosen to grace us with your future knowledge. It's an interesting story. Please feel free to stick around and share with us and ask any questions of us. Please naturally expect that we will help you in any way we can.

Do you have any reason to currently hide your presence in this time?

aima_tellia

I would be stupid to expect anyone to believe me, since I can give no proof other than my language and my memories, which could be untrue. Even if I showed you my marker, it would do no good. It's black, as big as a grain of salt, and embedded in the back of my throat. I could show you the toe I lost on the way over, but that could have been lost anywhere, at any time. I'll try to answer your questions more quickly from now on, mostly because I enjoy talking about the place I come from, but also because I would like to be believed, so that you might be able to listen and appreciate instead of listening to find lies.

Ask me to do anything to prove my story, and I'll try to do it. If I can't, I'll tell you why.

I'd like to ask you a question about Timeline, which I assume is a fantasy story of some kind. I don't read many of them. There are still plenty of things I don't know, so it's confusing and slow trying to understand them. Could you tell me more about how the travel in this story was done?

I planned to tell a story of my home, about the food we eat and the day of my trip, but I've become tired. I'll try to do it tomorrow.

Judge Bean

Originally posted by aima_tellia@Aug 10 2004, 11:08 AM
I would be stupid to expect anyone to believe me, since I can give no proof other than my language and my memories, which could be untrue. Even if I showed you my marker, it would do no good. It's black, as big as a grain of salt, and embedded in the back of my throat. I could show you the toe I lost on the way over, but that could have been lost anywhere, at any time. I'll try to answer your questions more quickly from now on, mostly because I enjoy talking about the place I come from, but also because I would like to be believed, so that you might be able to listen and appreciate instead of listening to find lies.

Ask me to do anything to prove my story, and I'll try to do it. If I can't, I'll tell you why.

I'd like to ask you a question about Timeline, which I assume is a fantasy story of some kind. I don't read many of them. There are still plenty of things I don't know, so it's confusing and slow trying to understand them. Could you tell me more about how the travel in this story was done?

I planned to tell a story of my home, about the food we eat and the day of my trip, but I've become tired. I'll try to do it tomorrow.

Black magic marker in the throat, and lost a toe on the way over! Oh, stop, stop, I can't take any more.

I pratfall, I weep.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

You wanted to know about Timeline? Here ya go:

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
When you step into a time machine, fax yourself through a \"quantum foam wormhole,\" and step out in feudal France circa 1357, be very, very afraid. If you aren't strapped back in precisely 37 hours after your visit begins, you'll miss the quantum bus back to 1999 and be stranded in a civil war, caught between crafty abbots, mad lords, and peasant bandits all eager to cut your throat. You'll also have to dodge catapults that hurl sizzling pitch over castle battlements. On the social front, you should avoid provoking \"the butcher of Crecy\" or Sir Oliver may lop your head off with a swoosh of his broadsword or cage and immerse you in \"Milady's Bath,\" a brackish dungeon pit into which live rats are tossed now and then for prisoners to eat.
This is the plight of the heroes of Timeline, Michael Crichton's thriller. They're historians in 1999 employed by a tech billionaire-genius with more than a few of Bill Gates's most unlovable quirks. Like the entrepreneur in Crichton's Jurassic Park, Doniger plans a theme park featuring artifacts from a lost world revived via cutting-edge science. When the project's chief historian sends a distress call to 1999 from 1357, the boss man doesn't tell the younger historians the risks they'll face trying to save him. At first, the interplay between eras is clever, but Timeline swiftly becomes a swashbuckling old-fashioned adventure, with just a dash of science and time paradox in the mix. Most of the cool facts are about the Middle Ages, and Crichton marvelously brings the past to life without ever letting the pulse-pounding action slow down. At one point, a time-tripper tries to enter the Chapel of Green Death. Unfortunately, its custodian, a crazed giant with terrible teeth and a bad case of lice, soon has her head on a block. \"She saw a shadow move across the grass as he raised his ax into the air.\" I dare you not to turn the page!

Through the narrative can be glimpsed the glowing bones of the movie that may be made from Timeline and the cutting-edge computer game that should hit the market in 2000. Expect many clashing swords and chase scenes through secret castle passages. But the book stands alone, tall and scary as a knight in armor shining with blood. --Tim Appelo --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

From Publishers Weekly
\"And the Oscar for Best Special Effects goes to: Timeline!\" Figure maybe three years before those words are spoken, for Crichton's new novelAdespite media reports about trouble in selling film rights, which finally went to ParamountAis as cinematic as they come, a shiny science-fantasy adventure powered by a superior high concept: a group of young scientists travel back from our time to medieval southern France to rescue their mentor, who's trapped there. The novel, in fact, may improve as a... read more --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

Book Description
Michael Crichton's new novel opens on the threshold of the twenty-first century. It is a world of exploding advances on the frontiers of technology. Information moves instantly between two points, without wires or networks. Computers are built from single molecules. Any moment of the past can be actualized -- and a group of historians can enter, literally, life in fourteenth-century
feudal France.

Imagine the risks of such a journey.

Not since Jurassic Park has Michael Crichton given us such a magnificent adventure. Here, he combines a science of the future -- the emerging field of quantum technology -- with the complex realities of the medieval past. In a heart-stopping narrative, Timeline carries us into a realm of unexpected suspense and danger, overturning our most basic ideas of what is possible.

HackimerRob

A great book. Aima, please forgive and understand the sarcasms. I appreciate your last post. Please continue.

StarLord

Somehow, that coming from a jester just kinda lacks all sorts of sincerity.