US civil war

Darkwolf

US civil war

I think those airplanes looked kind of like shoes to me. So did the last election, or at least the reaction to it. So did the Patriot act. I think we have a centipede undressing above us.

Judge Bean

US civil war

It's a bird, it's a plane.

To have a revolution (which is what the "civil war" actually is as described) you need the military to side with the people; otherwise, what you have is nothing more than a series of riots.

Has the military shown any signs of opposing higher authority?

WASHINGTON (10/15/04) - The Army is investigating reports that several members of a reservist supply unit in Iraq refused to go on a convoy mission, the military said Friday. Relatives of the soldiers said the troops considered the mission too dangerous.

I suspect we will see more of this. It reminds me of the refusal of some soldiers to be injected with anthrax vaccine, and, of course, of what happened in Vietnam, when disobedience to direct orders to go into the line of fire was routine.

Imagine trying to order U.S. soldiers to fire on rebellious citizens.

Darkwolf

US civil war

To have a revolution (which is what the \"civil war\" actually is as described) you need the military to side with the people; otherwise, what you have is nothing more than a series of riots.

I don't think its too likely that you would get the entire military to side with the feds. The national guard would be especially shakey since the units are all local. (in other words, you would have urban and rural units)
Also, there are quite a few civilian groups around the country who could do alot more than riot. (I have a partial list somwhere)
WASHINGTON (10/15/04) - The Army is investigating reports that several members of a reservist supply unit in Iraq refused to go on a convoy mission, the military said Friday. Relatives of the soldiers said the troops considered the mission too dangerous.
This sounds more like these guys are showing a lack of a spine in the face of the enemy than a spine in the face of their surperiors.

Phil

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
US civil war

Darkwolf,

I don't think it can be lack of spine in the face of the enemy. For numerous soldiers to refuse says something. If it were just one of those clowns to sit down, fold his arms and say "I dun wanna!", then you could be right.

From the sounds of it though, it was more than just a couple. Army boys aren't as skittish as you think, I was in the army and went on manuevers that I didn't want to do in the least, but I did them because I was in the ARMY and I knew what I needed to do. If I'd said "I dun wanna!" I'd have gotten my ass kicked.

For numerous soldiers to sit down and say no to a CONVOY -- Well that tells you something. It's driving from point A to point B. Either it was a suicide move on the army's part, or where they were going was a death trap. I'd have said "hell no" too. If it were that bad you can bet I'd be telling the UCMJ where to stick it.

Darkwolf

US civil war

I don't know, as desperately as the media seems to be digging out bad news from Iraq, it could have been just two or three guys refusing to go. Anybody have more detail on that?

By the way, have we come up with a working definition of a Waco type event here?

Darkwolf

US civil war

Apperently it was an entire platoon. They refused beacause they claimed their vehicles were unsafe. If true I can't say I blame em.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
US civil war

Wow, that's more than I even thought. An entire platoon could be anywhere from 10 to 30 soldiers...

And yeah, if the vehicles were unsafe I'd tell the commander to go screw himself too. Who wants to break down in the middle of hostile territory?

Darkwolf

US civil war

Originally posted by TheHeggy@Oct 15 2004, 11:02 PM
Wow, that's more than I even thought. An entire platoon could be anywhere from 10 to 30 soldiers...

And yeah, if the vehicles were unsafe I'd tell the commander to go screw himself too. Who wants to break down in the middle of hostile territory?

Seventeen soldiers to be exact.