What is the speed of dark?

iooqxpooi

Originally posted by CaryP+Sep 7 2004, 08:39 AM--><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Snow Fire Watches@Sep 7 2004, 08:26 AM
Oops - CaryP needs another JD!? rialb asked, iggy answered.? Nevermind the JD, have more coffee!? >:D<

I am no scientist either but dark can disappear as fast as light can go through it, and return as fast as light leaves it.? Um . . . ok that's all the thinking I can do today . . . seems iggy is correct.

Must rest now . . . :p

SFW

Thanks for setting me straight Snow, my bad, but it wasn't the JD. Apologies to iooqxpooi for not paying attention. Sorry bud, got a little confused there. Must be the onset of old age.

Cary
[snapback]8707[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]I feel like I need to come up with a REALLY funny joke here. Oh well. I guess I can't come up with jokes like that.:)

DadOf5

I should probably know better than to post on a science thread

Originally posted by iooqxpooi@Sep 7 2004, 12:19 PM
Just take a shadow for instance. It is the absence of light from the main source(the sun) due to absorption and raditation of the light by the mass or compression of energy in front of it. How fast does light move? c, thus the blocking of the light moves at c relative to a stationary observer. I am not totally sure about this answer, but I have a feeling that it's correct. My proof? Imagine a photon, moving at c, of course. It comes into contact with a proton, for instance, and is absorbed instantly(I don't really care about the .000000000000000000000000000000001 nanoseconds that that takes :) )When it is absorbed, there is no photon to move to the point that it would be absorbed at normally. An observer can only notice the slowness of dark when he is moving, because there is no light moving through the air to light up the day(for instance). As if light were moving in a negative form, you start to notice the non-reradiation of light at the speed light would move. So you may think of this as if an absorbed photon has a conterpart in the form of a 'dark'on, which is absorbed simultaneously relative to a stationary observer, and they are re-radiated from whence they came. :)

See what I mean? :p

This post has been modified to fit the capacity of your brain.

Keep working on it, you aren't quite there yet. :lol:

CaryP

I feel like I need to come up with a REALLY funny joke here. Oh well. I guess I can't come up with jokes like that.

I do a pretty good job own my own. Glad you enjoyed it.

Cary

StarLord

Darkness is the absence of light. Darkness is not sent, radiated nor comissioned to do it's job, IT JUST IS. Darkness is a beingness, a static nonpresence of light energy. Therefor, it does not travel, as it is already in place, awaiting the absence of light energy to be seen.

The BogeyMen Do Not Travel, They Lay In Wait for unasuming physists like us to blunder into them, just like the coins that encounter the hole in me pocket.

(There ya go Cary) :lol:

Fringan

Alot of imaginary, unscientific answers it seems imho :)

"Dark" is the word we use to explain there is no light. Light comes in the form of waves/particles (photons) and it can move through space. "Dark" is merely the absence of this "light", thus it is nothing and cannot move.
In case you want to calculate what speed "dark" has as a blocker of light you should rather look at how fast the blocking object is moving. Anyway, that way of thinking is fun, but not correct.

Again: "Dark" is nothing, just the abscense of "something" and "nothing" cannot have a speed property.

Fringan

Originally posted by StarLord@Sep 8 2004, 05:08 PM
zOUNDS! Great accoustics in here. Didn't I just say that?? :lol:

Oops :)

Got a bit upset when I saw them bs answers so I didn't finish reading the thread before I wrote an answer :)

iooqxpooi

Oh really?

Please, tell me, you fly in a 99%c jet plane and measure the speed of dark. Then we'll compare. ;)

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

I don't think darkness is anything.... Isn't it the absense of things?

Wouldn't that be like asking "What is the speed of rain under an umbrella?" There's no rain, so how can it have a speed?

StarLord

Bingo Heggy!! If it's all pervasive in the absence of something, that means it dont move.

Hey, Iooqxpooi,, I think the problem is that you are confusing the fact that when you close your eyes when you are moving at .99C that dark inside your eyes is traveling as fast as you are, so In Your World/ Head you are correct. In the rest of the universe it just aint happening that way hoss.