What is the speed of dark?

iooqxpooi

Originally posted by Fringan+Sep 8 2004, 11:53 AM--><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-StarLord@Sep 8 2004, 05:08 PM
zOUNDS!? Great accoustics in here.? Didn't I just say that?? :lol:

Oops :)

Got a bit upset when I saw them bs answers so I didn't finish reading the thread before I wrote an answer :)
[snapback]8836[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]
And thus the debate ends. Haven't you ever noticed that others don't call your answers bs? Well anyway, I don't mind...Just that others might be offended.(and also, I hate Niels Bohr...:p)

Fringan

gah!! Why is it so hard to understand?

What is the speed of a car (on a certain gear and rpm to make it a constant speed like light has)? lets say its 100km/h. Now, what is the speed of not-a-car?

What is the speed of sound, the speed of your words when you speak? its about 340m/s. What is the speed of the silence of the words you do not speak?

iooqxpooi:

"Please, tell me, you fly in a 99%c jet plane and measure the speed of dark. Then we'll compare."

There is nothing called dark to measure. It doesnt matter how fast or slow you are travelling. It doesn't matter of you bring up pointless numbers like 99%c (0.99c would be the correct math actually :) ).
I could start throwing out all kinds of random numbers and equations and it still wouldn't change the fact that there is no thing such as the speed of dark.

And yes, c is constant but that doesn't change the fact that "dark" does not travel in space. Dark is not anti photons or some other kind of matter or wave, its the absence of light. What you think of as the speed of dark is the speed of light leaving or entering a certain area. Its not the "dark" moving because there is no dark, only absence of light.

Fringan

Originally posted by iooqxpooi@Sep 9 2004, 08:38 AM
And thus the debate ends. Haven't you ever noticed that others don't call your answers bs? Well anyway, I don't mind...Just that others might be offended.(and also, I hate Niels Bohr...:p)

Please, you are welcome to call my posts whatever you want as long as you post something to prove it's bs.

I'm not sure what there is to hate about Bohr, the science community sure seemed to love him from the beginning to the end. I have ofcourse never met him but from what I have read in different biographies and other books he seemed to be a very kind, thoughtful and an extremely genial theoretical physician. He won the nobel price himself and helped several others on their way to their nobel prices. Perhaps you are jealous or maybe you don't know much about him in the first place? ;)

I hope you and I can continue debating on different subjects in the future and I will be more careful of saying what I think of some posts, regardless what I think of them.

StarLord

Hey, we could start a Band called The No Notes, All motion - no sound - because we are playing faster than the speed of sound a week ahead of when the first album comes out, being chased by darkness that can't possibly move.

iooqxpooi

Well good job on getting so far, but here's a little problem. I have a thought experiment on my side. And this time this one is as simple as it gets.

Imagine a constant emission of photons in one line, wiith the difference in time of release being as close to 0 as possible. Imagine a proton flying in, and absorbing one photon in the ray. Would you be able to say that it is dark now from the end of the beam?(the wall) NO! You would only be able to say that it is dark when the absence came. Ad when would that absence come? It would not move at some magical speed, it would move at the speed of the particle that was absorbed already. So it would come at c in this case. Now tell me what is wrong with that!

StarLord

Exsqueze me for being slow, but you are splitting hairs here. An emission of anything that close to 0 on the time scale is all but fodder for moot points.

I will admit that, emissions of that fantastic sort of speed mirror novel thoughts on my part. However, WITHOUT: light, at the speed of light, waiting for the light to change, waiting for the next bank teller, eating green eggs and ham, playing laser tag at your first Scout jamboree, waiting for the light to come on while discussing the speed of dark, whatever, the Only Thing Moving, besides the green eggs and ham after eating, is Light.

The darkness is not moving because it is always there You just can't see it anymore because of that darned light that keeps racing about obscures it from your vision.

Now SURE you can measure the speed of light all you want, but it has nothing to do with the dark that is always there unless you are 'blinded by the light'. Without light, it is dark. If there has been no light for a year, and a flash bulb goes off, that change to the present environment has a beginning and an end, at the speed of light, but the dark that was there for a year has not changed, it was there all the time, and it has not moved, it was just too bright fro you to notice it.

You shoot a bullet, the sound that is heard travels at the speed of sound and no faster Right? (forget vacuums, forget liquids, gases, stick to normal back 40 farm land) Are you next going to tell me that silence has a speed and is just as fast as sound because its coming right behind the noise that traveled at the speed of sound??

If that is the case, then Darkness is way faster than light because it was there long before the light got there.

I vote we go for something new like wether chickens fly faster in the light or the darkness.

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe

Hmmm! Is it dark, or Anti-light.

Darkness may not be the simple absence of light, it may be the erasure or cancellation of light by its Photonic Nemesis.

Everything else has an Anti-Particle doesn't it? So why not light.

Anyone know the actual speed, to the nearest Kmh, or so of Anti-light? :huh:

StarLord

Tell me you didn't just go there My Brother Grayson, I thought my logic insurmountable ah well....Ok. }}sigh{{ :lol:

Sit in a closet and wait for your eyes to adjust to the light, the 'almost there' light source from the bottom of the door. You will notice that the weak light is mixed with what is already in there and is not traveling, the semi darkness. Now place some duct tape and tape all around the door where it meets the door frame and Voila! It's real dark in there. Where did the dark come from? Its not coming from out side the door is it?

Now poke a hole in the middle at the bottom, darkness surrounds the little shaft of light, just biding it's time when it can feast on it. But hark! what yonder presence/light breaks upon the darkness that is always there when it's not? In sooth, the only thing moving is the tiny febrile meager shaft of light and one's brain wondering how the hell you got in a closet taped up in the first place. Cover that hole up with your finger and what is, regains its full presence upon your sight recepticles, the dark.

Unless you can manufacture a machine that can clock the speed of something that radiates from no where and is always present, we may be on this conundrum for quite a while. Where is Einstein when we Really need Him??

I fear that you have but stirred up yon budding physist once again. :D