What is your Favourite Hot Sauce?

Mayhem

Zenith
Yes a little random for a TT forum , but myself and maybe others might enjoy the responses.

There would be the usual suspects Tabasco, Franks but what else have you got in the cupboard?

Mayhem

Zenith
Ah cmon Einstein, this isn't ghost pepper scenarios just a bit of flavour:)

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Louisiana Hot Sauce... Pretty standard vinegar based stuff, not that hot, more acidic than anything. But it goes with most things and adds flavor instead of pain to my egg bowls.

We used to live next to a mall in NC that had a hot sauce shop in it. Sauces with weird names like Butthole Explosion and Sweaty Daddy and things like that, plus some nice artisanal ones. We'd go in whenever we could and get samples of everything, made circuits around the shop tasting things on little tortilla chips. I liked most of them, a few were hotter than I cared for but it's just hot sauce.

They had one you could sample but had to sign a waiver first... Never cared to take it that far

Hungry Food GIF by 8it

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Ah cmon Einstein, this isn't ghost pepper scenarios just a bit of flavour:)

I learned my lesson at 5 years old. I popped what I thought was a cherry into my mouth. It was a cherry pepper. My mom lifted me up to the sink. I stayed there for 15 minutes with my tongue sticking out underneath the running water. That was a traumatizing experience. Lesson learned. It was not flavorful. It was shear hell! I refuse to ever put anything that burns in my mouth again.

Last edited:

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
I learned my lesson at 5 years old. I popped what I thought was a cherry into my mouth. It was a cherry pepper. My mom lifted me up to the sink. I stayed there for 15 minutes with my tongue sticking out underneath the running water. That was a traumatizing experience. Lesson learned. It was not flavorful. It was shear hell! I refuse to ever put anything that burns in my mouth again.
This is why I can't stand mushrooms, similar experience.

My mom made something when I was 4 or 5... I don't know what it was, but it used CANNED mushrooms as some kind of garnish or topping. My older brother was complaining about not liking it, and wanting to be a good boy I offered to take a big bite.

I put an entire serving spoon of that garbage in my mouth. It was slimy, wet and luke-warm. The most disgusting thing I've ever eaten. Earthy muddy mucus that I can taste today if I think about it too hard. Like eating chopped up worms and salty boogers. 35 years later, I still cannot eat a mushroom without gagging. Not on pizza, not in salad, not in a house, not with a mouse.

I can't eat lemon meringue pie or KFC, either.

Lemon meringue was because my mom let it sit out, and it's made with egg whites that gave me food poisoning. She felt bad and promised to get me the Ninja Turtles sewer playset, but got me some dumbass remote control firetruck instead. It wasn't even a proper remote control, some TV remote looking thing that didn't work without line of sight.

KFC because I had one of those prepackaged strawberry shortcakes with the foil lid and an orange soda sometime in the 80s when we stopped there on a roadtrip. I still don't know why my dad let me get that in the first place... Then got sick in the bathroom while the aroma of Col. Sanders wafted through the door.

I've never had an experience like that with something spicy, but I know the revulsion you'd feel from that kind of encounter.

Last edited:

Beholder

Concentrated Habanero Salsa is the only one spicy enough for me to feel the burn (too spicy for my Mexican friend), but on a pizza I use the milder Chipotle Mayo to avoid unbalancing the flavors.

MODAT7

I'll second Louisiana. I eat a lot with it. I also like medium salsa mixed in with my beans & rice. I don't like excessive burn as I'm sensitive. I like something that gives a warm feeling without burning out my taste buds.