Forum Game Word Game - Lost in Time

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
A & W Root-Beer Drive-Up Restaurants

A&W Restaurants, Inc., is a chain of fast-food restaurants distinguished by its draft root beer and root beer floats. A&W was arguably the first successful food franchise company, starting franchises in 1921 in California. Today, it has franchise locations throughout the world, serving a typical fast food menu of hamburgers and french fries, as well as hot dogs. A number of its outlets are drive-in restaurants with carhops. The company name was taken from the surname initials of partners Roy W. Allen and Frank Wright. The chain was sold to Great American Brand in December 2011.[3]

The company became famous in the United States for its "frosty mugs," where the mug would be kept in the freezer prior to being filled with root beer and served to the customer.

images

images

TnWatchdog

A & W Root-Beer Drive-Up Restaurants

A&W Restaurants, Inc., is a chain of fast-food restaurants distinguished by its draft root beer and root beer floats. A&W was arguably the first successful food franchise company, starting franchises in 1921 in California. Today, it has franchise locations throughout the world, serving a typical fast food menu of hamburgers and french fries, as well as hot dogs. A number of its outlets are drive-in restaurants with carhops. The company name was taken from the surname initials of partners Roy W. Allen and Frank Wright. The chain was sold to Great American Brand in December 2011.[3]

The company became famous in the United States for its "frosty mugs," where the mug would be kept in the freezer prior to being filled with root beer and served to the customer.

images

images
As a kid I remember going to the A & W for rootbeer or a rootbeer float...the hotdogs were good too. The drive-in reminds me of Sonic today. Years ago the drive-ins were all over but now they are gone in my area. They had one inside a KFC but now that is gone. Maybe they are stronger in other areas. Their rootbeer is the best! IMO

TnWatchdog

quote "Samstwitch, post: 63399, member: 2770

Brylcreem! "A little dab will do ya!"
I remember using this stuff and the advertising jingle. After applying Brylcreem, I went out and got me one of those 25-cent cokes!

Justinian

Also, and I thank whoever made this one disappear.. That UGLY orangish yellow paint that everything was painted back in the late 70's early to mid 80's. Our refrigerator growing up was this color and even as a kid I remember thinking it was hideous.

Frank Lloyd Wright architecture principles. They are slowly making a come back, but it makes sense to use some of his ideas. Back when going green wasn't even thought of, he was shaping his houses to make great use of natural light and warmth.

Justinian

Barber shops. Very few and far between anymore in the USA to find a good ole barbershop that you can just go and shoot the breeze for a few hours. I still have one in my town, but not sure how well it actually does.

Edit: Not to be confused with these new style men's salons. They don't count. I'm talking the old man sleeping in the chair that you'd wake up with the bell when you came through the door. He'd shave you, cut your hair, and fill you in on all the latest gossup from the men's circles.

Also dying out due to legal issues is getting a straight razor shave. Due to health concerns and legal issues even my local barber won't do these anymore. Says they will probably be illegal in all states soon enough.

TnWatchdog

This is a stock picture of a modern cistern
Citrns, an ancient technology for the collection of rain water, were quite common at homes throughout the 19th century. They can also be found at a few 18th century homes and some built as late as the early 1940s. Using the roof as a rain collection surface, gutters and downspouts delivered water to the cistern. Most had an overflow outlet and some had a diverter on the inlet, to direct the water away from the building when the cistern became full.
I remember my grandparents and several other homes had cisterns in their basements. They looked like a small swimming pool or large tub and would fill with up with rain water. Maybe we should learn from the past as to how we can save water if the grid were to go out. I have my rain water going into several tanks that I use to water the garden. With pvc pipe and fittings, everyone can become a "survivalist plumber".

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
Cassettes Tapes for Music

These tapes were only popular for years before CD's
took over, Cassettes were all the rage in the 80's and 90's.