Ask away

August

Ask away

Michael,

Thank you for answering my question. I hope you are getting what you need from this community.

(Before we continue this exchange, I want to tell you something in the form of an aside. A few months ago two members started a hoax--the Perry Nelson hoax--and they were dismantled within a few weeks by members of this community. If you read that hoax, you will see that it suffers under the weight of its own ignorance. The perpetrators of that hoax are not only ignorant fellows but far worse: they are cowards. I am a student. When confronted by my own ignorance, I admit it. I do not run away from it. That would be the simplest and basest form of cowardice. So, Michael, if you are a time traveler, then it is a thrill to meet you. If you are a hoaxer, then I certainly hope you are not a coward. For it is possible that I have travelled far more than you. And if that is the case, you will spend your nights reading your own ignorance in this very forum. If dismantled, face it. Or I will put you in the bucket marked "timid souls" and it is quite likely you will never enjoy true studentship.)

Now you said,

The only ?true? way to study history is to experience it. That, my friends, is one of the reasons for time travel in the future.

And I find this interesting. That a historian should stand on the shoulders of Herodotus and Churchill, perhaps 4000 years of written history, but sweep them aside for a fancy piece of electronic conduit truly confounds me.

There are many young people on this forum and you just told them they cannot study history "truly". Is that responsible? Should we wait for technology or pick up that Lyndon B. Johnson biography tomorrow?

Please explain the difference between seeing first hand Samuel Johnson perspire while he eats and reading the accounts of him perspiring while he eats. Can we even get close enough?

You and I are, as historians, more similar than dissimilar. President Bush signed no fewer than twenty documents last week. Both of us could not be there to witness it. We did not overhear the conversations had during the signings. So as you and I are experiencing the same history, how did your electronics give you an advantage over me? Future historians have the advantage--they will at least have the documents!

I have other points/questions but I want you to address the ones above first. I thank you in advance.

August

August

Ask away

Gadfly,

You found a misspelling of "separated"; what constitutes "existence" for a word?

Google is an information Ferrari and you just spun out. Easy on the pedal.

Trinux

Ask away

Where are you from?

I am from the east coast. I never really had a place to call home, but during the conflict, I spent most of my time in Pennsylvania.

I was able to escape the draft, because of a hip injury that I had during my childhood. Even though it was a draft of ?desperation?--it was a much more dire situation than Vietnam--it still had to abide by classifications and military standards.

Are there world wars in our future?

A world war is declared in 2016 and lasts until 2018. It was the direct result of growing tensions between nontraditional world powers--Russia didn't start the next world war.

Do any future technologies change the way we live?

Synergy is further developed and advancements in operating systems make almost everything function as one. For instance, in some home across America, I have seen people being able to control their lights, security systems, air conditioners, etc. from their televisions.

Computers are still widely used. As far as I have seen, neither the television or the computer have replaced each other, though their lines of distinctions are becoming more blurred.

Linux and Unix are still widely used in the future. Due to synergy, the Linux standard was adopted across a lot of embedded devices. We still have the Unix versus Linux battle in the future, with both operating systems still being type casted.

Free content really takes off and many televisions shows are available from one's cable box. A couple of television shows are available exclusively on demand--they are not aired at all. It is more or less the same with music: where media sales almost stop and concerts become much more popular.

Due to on demand, higher education has been brought to a person's den, and they are able to receive their higher education accreditation from watching television, which is free, of course. People finally discovered that the information and discipline are the true values of education.

Do we meet an alien race?

As of 2026, we still have not found extraterrestrials, the government is still believed to be ?hiding? the truth, Roswell is still debated, and SETI has not found validated proof.

I'd like to say that the idea is much more popular in the future. Then again, a good number of my friends were in those social circles. I'd say that the acceptance of the existence of extraterrestrials is much more popular than it is today, even if it is just a small factor.

In case anyone has not noticed, the number of sightings in your worldline is increasing. Even if they are not legitimized, it is a sure sign of things to come--like animals moving to higher ground.

Are you physically here?

I am physically living on your worldline. I have gone to a shopping mall, experienced the grocery store on a number of occasions, and got the mail out of the mailbox. The first two occurrences left a bad taste in my mouth. The grocery store reminded me of the hogs picking off their troff. The reason for the number of food-related illness in your worldline is much clearer now.

We still have grocery stores in the future, but markets become much more popular. It was discovered that people prefer to purchase from individuals, instead of purchasing from ?heartless retail chains?.

We still have malls, but more of the stores are ran by individuals. The individuals don't really sell mass produced goods. Instead, they sell handmade crafts, but on average, it's without the high markup that is so prevalent in your time. In terms of electronics and mass produced consumer goods, people prefer to get the cheapest price, regardless of the outfit. In that sense, people still love cheap goods in the future.

What year are you from?

My original homeline was doing quite well in the year 2026, when I decided to make the jump into time. For personal reasons, my last stay was in 1984, and I left that worldline in 1986.

Which President overstays his term and why?

Your current president overstays his welcome. He uses the War Against Terror to accomplish this. Eventually, he is forced to leave by act of congress. This is viewed as a major moment in history, and one that shaped the world for times to come.

What is the magnitude of the coming earthquake?

I do not recall the seismographic readings of the earthquake, but it is around the power of the one just past.

Where does the earthquake strike?

The earthquake hits the eastern portion of the Americas.

What causes the earthquake?

The explanation is related to a volcano. Unfortunately, geography is not fresh in my mind, so I can not go into the exact details of how the plates and zones cause the forthcoming earthquake.

What kind of damage does the earthquake inflict?

In terms of lives lost, it is relatively mild. It does, however, badly affect the development of defense systems.

How long does the war last?

The future looks back on the coming years as twofold: a ?conflict?, which lasts for a long time--roughly, six to twelve years depending on how one looks at it--and a war, which is higher in magnitude and last for two years. The latter is a direct result of the former. I would compare it to your Cold War, except bombs are eventually dropped.

In the future, does America have a civil war?

No civil war occurs. Civil unrest is prevalent for a good number of years. I wouldn't say it's rampant, just quite prevalent.

The reinstatement of the draft seemed to make a good number of people mad, but not enough to revolt. Even when times are their worse, a ?revolution? is frowned upon by the majority of the population.

Reality televisions shows are still popular?

Reality based television shows are extremely popular in the future. Unlike your current ?varn?, they have a concentration on core-accepted family values and an emphasis on fun. I would compare them to a real and modern version of the ?Andy Griffith Show?.

Is network television still around in the future?

ABC is the largest of the networks, though it is not owned by the same people as your current ABC is. Cable is rejuvenated to its past, and it no longer shows commercial on the stations that you pay for. The cable companies do include free channels, which do show commercials. The commercials are no longer in the five minute intervals that yours appear to be in. The commercials are more like your current banners and pop up ads that you run into on the Internet--they don't prevent the viewer from watching his television, but they are viewable. .

Why do you use the names, Minux and Trinux?

The war affected computers a good deal, and small, but flexible operating systems became extremely important. Both Minux and Trinux play a great deal in the future, as does another operating system. I will not disclose which ramdisk distribution becomes the ?standard?, but one of them does and it used in a tremendous amount of embedded devices and servers--both private industry and government.

Another world war occurs?

As a result of the conflict, another world war occurs. The targets for this war are not the major, American cities. Instead, it is restricted to military targets, which had became ?cities? as a result of increased pressures and military involvement. Some of the major northeast cities are effected, but for the rest of the nation, their cities are ?missed?. This course of action was intentional on both sides of the war.

How is the technology in the future?

The technology is progressing quite well. The conflict brings about tremendous change in ?civilian technologies?. Out of our needs from the war, things are simplified, which brings about a sort of technological revolution. I would compare it to the early-1980's, in which the time was still inventing, just not at the pace of the 1970's.

Are cities still around in the future?

Cities are still alive and well in the future. Unlike World War II, most major cities were unaffected by the conflict. After the war is over, due to regional architecture and high population concentration, cities become a point of pride for people.

I don't believe you.

Before I entered this worldline, I made a list of things that I wished to accomplish. Fortunately, part of my list was not to gain acceptance from people. I am here to learn about your worldline, just as you are trying to learn about the time I came from. It's an interesting exchange, and I see no real gain in being accepted by every person on this worldline.

Every ?truth? will be met with skepticism and no matter what the topic is, someone, somewhere will conclude that it is false. It would be silly of me to believe that my dealings with people would be free of these ?laws?.

Why can't you just tell us about our future?

This is difficult, because I do not know what interests you. It's much easier for me to answer questions than it is for me to ramble on about the future. If it were up to me, I would probably discuss my memories as a child, the loves of my life as an adult, the great individuals I have met, or my hobbies. Of course, none of these topics really has any relevance on your future, so it would be pointless for me to discuss them. I will, of course, discuss them if anybody asks. The difference is that I wouldn't be mindlessly rambling. Instead, I would have a direct path to follow, which would satisfy one my purposes of being here--to ease people's minds about the future--and it would satisfy your curiosity about the future.

Over the next few days, I will be busy collecting information and working on a few time related projects. I will not be able to answer any new questions for a few days. I will answer any questions that are posted upon my return. I will also post the answers to questions that have been privately sent to me.

I hope these answers help everyone in understanding the future.

Yours truly,

Michael

August

Ask away

Michael,

Thank you for answering so many questions. However you did not respond to my post above regarding your relationship to history. Please do so when you get a chance. Thanks!

August

PyRo99

Ask away

Okay buckshot, guess what you've just earned? Guess.

You say the "Logic on this forum is beyond belief". I have attuned myself to using sarcasm, and I can smell it from a mile away. So, your saying we don't use logic? Oh really, thats why we have used logic in every stance possible since the old TTF.TK.

As for antagonizing Grayson, don't be such a jackass, or sassing him.

Go 'head use a PM, watch any of us care. No need to make it PUBLIC that you sent him a PM though. Because therby you are creating a "curisoity". As well as adding a mystery.

Nobody cares about your PM to the goober. I certinaly don't and I can pretty much vouch for grayson that he probably doesn't either. However, don't make such comments to Grayson, or any other mods. They have rules to uphold, and you are breaking a few with just your last post.

Am I breaking a rule right now? Got me, I used to be a mod, and I can't even remeber if I am. Maybe you need a quick refresh on the rules, and maybe that'll change your attitude towards us.

If not, I'll glady be around to give you what you deserve.

vinny

Ask away

I always get sceptical when I hear about all the women staying at home looking after the kids. This seems to be some fantasy. I'm 50 and yes women as a whole did not work out of the home as much but remember there wan't birth control. Most families were much larger and yes gang those women were working thier tales off. Not spending tons of quaility time with the little darlings. Ususally we shunted outside to play to get out of Moms hair. I've always had an interest in history and gneanology. In the past unless you came from the wealthy classes women have always worked. Your husband a fisherman in Edinburygh Scotland you were likely hauling the catch over to market to sell it. Husband a farmmer mmm besides being perpetually pregnant, you milked the cows, grew the vegetable garden and helped out hubby with the harvest. That in addition to sewing all the kids clothes, preserving the food,washing with no running water with a wash board. Cooking on a wood stove, hauling wood. Cleaning floors etc etc. No medical care either. You had money OK but other wise you were on your own. The kids ,hell they were working young ,helping Dad or Mom. School that was something the well off worried about. Don't idealize the past. For most of us it was hard and you died young. That farm wife by the way was my grandmother. She was dead at 33, her lot was not unusual for her time.

vinny

Ask away

Sorry guys I had to get that off my chest. Titor always mentioned about life being more traditional and so did this one. That traditional role wasn't so peachy for most women Pauli comment about women deserting todays kids was just too much.

yeyeman9

Ask away

Trinux,

Thanks a lot for answering our questions it is appreciated :). So there wont be a nuclear war and millions of people will die? What timeline are you from? When is Time Machines invented? Are they public by 2026? Where you sent here by someone or something? Also, are videogames still alive on 2066? THanks for your time and sorry for having so many questions!

Cheers,
Yeyeman9

Tw0mey

Ask away

Is there a conflict before the world war? Is it a civil war or what?

Explain everything please, you leave things out that are vital to your responses. Thanks.