Boycott the NFL

Harte

There is no unadorned "right" to protest while you're at work.
You can protest all you want - on your own time - but employers have the right to forbid it while you're at work.
Except, of course, for labor protests (strikes.)
And they can keep those off company property.

Harte

TnWatchdog

There is no unadorned "right" to protest while you're at work.
You can protest all you want - on your own time - but employers have the right to forbid it while you're at work.
Except, of course, for labor protests (strikes.)
And they can keep those off company property.

Harte
Nailed it Harte... if I had protested anything at work I'd be fired, just like anyone else. These pansies that make millions of dollars think they can do anything...well screw them!

taykair

It isn't necessary to have a First Amendment in order to protect speech that the majority agrees with. What would be the point? No. The reason we have a First Amendment in the USA is so that the state is not able to dictate what can or cannot be expressed by the individual - even if that individual expresses ideas which are unpopular.

There are some limits, based on Supreme Court decisions, concerning incitement for illegal activity (firing up a mob to go burn down someone's house, for example), obscenity (communities may zone property to keep out adult book stores, strip clubs and the like), and a few other VERY LIMITED restrictions. However, for the most part, freedom of individual expression cannot be - and should not be - denied by the state.

That being said, the protests by some NFL players ARE protected speech (with the proviso that their employer allows such demonstrations, since it is the team owners' "stage" on which the protests are being made).

However, it should be recognized that this protection is from STATE interference, not from individuals who wish to boycott or argue against their behavior, for that is also protected speech.

Since there are no plans (that I am aware of) for the government to prohibit such protests, then any talk of First Amendment rights, or violation of said rights, is rather mistaken.

So, I believe we all can agree that the players (if the owners do not prohibit them) have every right to "take a knee" during the national anthem, and that others have every right to condemn them for doing so.

And I hope we can all agree that the government should not get involved at all.

Take care.

Jimbi

Yet it's okay to discriminate against and fire LGBT people at work. I think that NFL players protesting at work is petty and annoying but firing someone for loving the same gender is wrong.

Harte

If you have the freedom of speech to criticize the left and they have the freedom to protest against a president they dislike. I am pro freedom.
You can chime in with your opinion all you want (obviously,) but the "take a knee" thing is in no way about the president.

It might profit you to learn something about a thing before you pontificate on that thing.

Harte

Harte

Yet it's okay to discriminate against and fire LGBT people at work. I think that NFL players protesting at work is petty and annoying but firing someone for loving the same gender is wrong.
That's a different topic though, isn't it?

Plenty of states provide for LGBT labor protections, and the House of Representatives has a current bill (old bill, updated and reintroduced in 2017) concerning said discrimination, but the bill seems to be going nowhere.
The bill has two Republican co-sponsors.

Just a matter of time though.

Harte

Jimbi

You can chime in with your opinion all you want (obviously,) but the "take a knee" thing is in no way about the president.

It might profit you to learn something about a thing before you pontificate on that thing.

Harte
What is it about then?