Confirmed-2.5 Mile Wide Comet expected September 15-28, 2015

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I'm wondering what kind of damage such an object would do. I'm sure it can wipe out an entire city, is it enough to actually put our whole survival and existence as a species at risk?

For instance, can it trigger a nuclear winter that would last a decade?

Poison Pen

I'm wondering what kind of damage such an object would do. I'm sure it can wipe out an entire city, is it enough to actually put our whole survival and existence as a species at risk?

For instance, can it trigger a nuclear winter that would last a decade?

Would depend on size and point of impact. And yes it could trigger a nuclear winter and put the entire planet at risk. Without sunlight the entire planet would be doomed. A comet was blamed in the 6th Century for a nuclear winter:

Spaceflight Now | Breaking News | Comet blamed for 6th century 'nuclear winter'

A comet or asteroid strike is known as an "impact winter" a "nuclear winter" is where mass nuclear strikes block out the Sun.

Its been suggested that the asteroid that supposedly wiped out the dinosaurs caused a nuclear winter.

Asteroid impact that wiped out the dinosaurs led to 'nuclear winter' | Daily Mail Online

TimeFlipper

I discovered recently that an asteroid or meteor doesnt have to hit the earth..
Lots of them blow up before they hit the ground, causing even more devastation which is how nuclear bombs also work :(

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Hmmm. Are the odds of a nuclear winter still the same if the asteroid crashes in an ocean.

Yes there would be giant tsunamis, but would there be enough debris thrown in the air to trigger a nuclear winter like it would if it crashed on a continent?

Poison Pen

Lots of them blow up before they hit the ground, causing even more devastation which is how nuclear bombs also work :(

Yeah, a lot of the smaller ones will break apart
Hmmm. Are the odds of a nuclear winter still the same if the asteroid crashes in an ocean.

Yes there would be giant tsunamis, but would there be enough debris thrown in the air to trigger a nuclear winter like it would if it crashed on a continent?

Asteroid crashes into the ocean are not going to cause nuclear winters. Tidal waves maybe. Here is an interesting article on this:

Are Ocean Asteroid Impacts Really a Serious Threat?

Here is a calculator that can be used to measure the effects of an impact:

Earth Impact Effects Program

Stephan Paulus in his book "Nostradamus 1999" talks about "super canes" hurricanes that form when asteroids hit the ocean.

Nostradamus 1999: Who Will Survive?: Stefan Paulus: 9781567185157: Amazon.com: Books

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith

Thanks for the words of encouragement! We feel better now!

:ROFLMAO:
Hey Paula remember wot i said about news media :p:D

I'm not worried at all. We need to live life the best we can and if it ends suddenly, we're not going to be able to stop it anyway, so why worry?

TnWatchdog

Thanks for the words of encouragement! We feel better now!

:ROFLMAO:
Hey Paula remember wot i said about news media :p:D

I'm not worried at all. We need to live life the best we can and if it ends suddenly, we're not going to be able to stop it anyway, so why worry?
I agree...don't worry, be happy. I feel in order for the NWO to take place a global catastrophe will be required. This event could explain the rapture and the decressed population that were killed or missing to the survivors. Too many people, in this present world, would resist the NWO but the survivors of a global disaster would get in line to turn in their guns, accept the chip, and obey martial law in exchange for food and safety. So bottom line...get your Big Mac with fries but don't forget to wear your hard hat to protect yourself from falling objects.

Last edited: