Fermi Paradox

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
The Fermi Paradox - Where are the aliens?

We have high estimates of the probability that aliens exist, but we aren't really seeing them all over the place. That is the paradox in a nutshell.

There are stars and planets out there older than our sun and the earth. We should technically be seeing aliens everywhere. Are they hiding? Do we lack technology? It seems we have a lot of evidence of their existence in the distant past, but then, they disappeared. Did governments decide to cover it up? Why? Why is humanity in denial?

So many questions to discuss.

The paradox has a few potential explanations as to where all the aliens are:

- Intelligent life is rare
- Intelligent life destroys itself by nature
- Extinction
- Colonization/expansion isn't really normal
- Intelligent life is simply too far away
- Earth is being avoided
- We simply aren't listening

What else can you come up with?

Sources: Fermi paradox - Wikipedia

and

Last edited:

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Where's everyone?!? :alien:

I like to think about the Fermi paradox. Since the universe is kind of infinite from our point of view, the super tiny chances of intelligent life make it so that there must be tons of civilizations out there, in every direction.

Even 1 civilization/galaxy, would make it 125 billion civilizations in the observable universe alone. Or 1/1M galaxies would make it 125K civs in the observable universe. Or again, 1/1B galaxies = 125 civilizations in the observable universe, even that wouldn't be that bad compared to being alone in the dark forever.

Take note that these numbers don't take into account the time frames in which those civilizations show up, though. Time is so vast, a billion-bazillion civilizations might have existed or will exist, but none of them simultaneously.

Back to how big and infinite the Universe is... Distances in the universe are so vast (that's a weak word to describe it, the universe and the empty space between things/places is HUUUUUUUUUGE), perhaps it's absolutely impossible (unthinkable) to travel and reach or even detect another civilization, millions or billions of light-years away. No matter how advanced you are.

If there's a hard limit to the speed you can travel (<speed of light,) I don't think we're likely to get in touch with those aliens, or them with us. It means you're are condemned to only ever visit your close stellar neighborhood, and that's it. Same with radio signals. If there's a hard limit that can't be beaten, we'll never detect radio signals from aliens sitting at the other end of the universe, let alone the Milkyway. Same with time itself. Cheating time using unknown physics in order to reach others. All those things are sci-fi stuff right now. Maybe they're possible, maybe not.

You really got me started there!

Don't like it and do not buy it.....For starters "aliens" have not been proven beyond a reasonable doubt....If they are already amongst us where are they ?

This goes back to the fairy thread I posted and the Black Eyed Children...

You could apply that paradox to them as well...You could also apply it to demons, angels, giants, djinn and many other fairy tale creatures that are suppose to be hiding under the bed....We were conditioned as children to believe these things mainly to keep us from worrying the hell out of mom and dad at night....

I am not addressing the fact that there are possibly other life out there, this is a possibility....What I am addressing is the fact that this automatically assumes "ALIENS!"

start at edge

The “synchronization” Num7 mentioned, is in fact the real bet. Of course, the idea itself can be expanded and one can dig deeper into it and break it down, because what Num7 meant by “synchronization” is rough and in a nutshell, but it is the right one to consider. Just as a simple and single example among many: if you shrink the size of the Milky Way to a swimming pool, then the farthest radio waves could have reached since they were broadcast by humans, is about the size of a coin. Or, to look at this from another perspective, because the Milky Way is roughly 100.000 light years across, 100.000 years is the time span that is needed for at least 2 technologically advanced civilizations to get in touch with each other – and THIS is the bad news (at least for me) … a civilization seems to NOT last such long being technologically advanced. I honestly like to believe that an extinction would be caused by nature itself (meteorite impact, for example), but when I look around, I find it more and more to be wrong (unfortunately). I also ask myself many times, why some people came to the conclusion that dictatorship is the answer to keep humanity alive – and I am also really honest when I say that I prefer to go extinct by a meteorite, rather than by some devils who think they’re smart – and this is the main reason we MUST NOT allow those devils to take over.
Also, it is unlikely, statistically speaking, to have 2 civilizations emerging close enough to each other during the same 100.000 years time span … BUT, it is not impossible (also statistically speaking). That means that somewhere in the universe there are galaxies where this happened (is happening or will happen) and those do not feel so alone as we do … we just had the bad luck to not be among them. It is even possible to find 2 “synchronized” civilizations in the same solar (stellar) system … now, THAT is what I call real luck – I am really happy for those, honestly (be it in the past, present or future).

So far we are the only technological advanced civilization...Well at least since the aliens left us 2000 years ago....But thats according to this guy:

1636222280922.png

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
So far we are the only technological advanced civilization...Well at least since the aliens left us 2000 years ago....But thats according to this guy:

View attachment 12842

I'm just curious as to how you've come to the the conclusion that we are the only advanced civilization when we don't even know how large the universe is..
We've also already discovered earth like planets, so it's possibly that the formula for life is the same through out the universe.

I'm just curious as to how you've come to the the conclusion that we are the only advanced civilization when we don't even know how large the universe is..
We've also already discovered earth like planets, so it's possibly that the formula for life is the same through out the universe.
How do you know there are other civilizations out there? Finding Earth like planets is one thing getting to them is another...No human would live long enough to make the trip...The only thing we can do is run to the end of our chain and bark and hope aliens hear us....

I would like to believe there are other civilized worlds out there but at this point its all speculation a pipe dream if you will....

BlastTyrant

How do you know there are other civilizations out there? Finding Earth like planets is one thing getting to them is another...No human would live long enough to make the trip...The only thing we can do is run to the end of our chain and bark and hope aliens hear us....

I would like to believe there are other civilized worlds out there but at this point its all speculation a pipe dream if you will....
To counter your argument from her initial question, how do you KNOW we are the most advanced? To say we are is silly being as we have no idea what is truly out there, when you look into the ET and UFO spectrum it begs to argue that we are mere babies to these visiting beings technologically and evolutionary.

Is there solid proof we are and have been visited by Aliens? No, but to believe that we are the only thing out there and there is nothing more advanced than us is silly. If life can be created here it can be created else where, who knows how long they were around before us and where they are in their evolution.

Really to beat us technologically isn't that hard when most life changing inventions are stuck behind patents and approvals and will never see the light of day.

To counter your argument from her initial question, how do you KNOW we are the most advanced? To say we are is silly being as we have no idea what is truly out there, when you look into the ET and UFO spectrum it begs to argue that we are mere babies to these visiting beings technologically and evolutionary.

Is there solid proof we are and have been visited by Aliens? No, but to believe that we are the only thing out there and there is nothing more advanced than us is silly. If life can be created here it can be created else where, who knows how long they were around before us and where they are in their evolution.

Really to beat us technologically isn't that hard when most life changing inventions are stuck behind patents and approvals and will never see the light of day.
Prove we are not? I said so far..I did not say the only one....Read whats fucking wrote...I see two numb nuts that thought the speech was good..I say it was bullshit.