Have You Considered What You LOSE By Knowing the Future?

Ren

As would I, but my question then comes into play in that event.

What experience would you lose by knowing your future?

As Ever
Temporal Recon

You would lose all the experiences in your future if you new it.
You would know the previous future.
You would not know the new future.

To be sure, our friend Ren has made the conclusion I was aiming at.

But now, the follow up question, and the true purpose of this exercise, is:

What ethical obligation does a time traveler have to us to not tell us our future?

What right does the TT'er have to take away those learning life experiences from us?

Could this be why TT'ers actually avoid telling us our futures truthfully?
Is there another way to impart information or warnings without taking away our right to self-determination?

As Ever
TR

chiburple

I honestly believe that I have been told a likely version of what my future will be. I typically consider myself a fairly scientific person who would not readily believe in that kind of thing, but being scientifically minded means that I don't dismiss evidence that implies something other than what I expected. In this case, the evidence so far says my future will be what I was told it would be. I was told I would get back together and then break up with an ex-boyfriend (this has happened); marry late in life, but to a good man; I would adopt a child; I would have a successful career; and I would make a major and unexpected change in my life. Whether or not this will all happen, the point is that I believe it will. And with that belief I have both gained and lost. The day the information was given to me, I was devastated because of the knowledge that I would not have a biological child. Also the news that I would not find love until late in life was hard to take. Now I wonder if my belief in this outcome, will lead me to make decisions that will guarantee it (or jeopardize it). For example, with every career decision I make, I wonder if it's the decision I was 'supposed' to make. I also wonder if I'm in danger of using this 'guaranteed success' as a way out of trying as hard. However, there are also positives to this knowledge. For example, it's very reassuring to believe that I will find love some day. It makes me worry less about the fact that I don't have it now.

Ren

Let's put it to a test.

The 49ers will beat The Ravens by 2 touchdowns and a field goal.

Ren

As I suspected, talking about the game changed the outcome. There was no blackout and the score was different.

kallan

Must have been on a different timeline. I would say there was a blackout, as the power failed and the game was delayed by 34 mins by electrical failure.

Ren

Let's put it to a test.

The 49ers will beat The Ravens by 2 touchdowns and a field goal.

If you subtract 6 points from both teams and reverse the teams, then the Ravens would have won by 3 points.

If only I had guessed that. I'll have to settle for apologetics.

kallan

Interestingly the energy company has no answers on what actually caused the power outage. They call it an "abnormality". Must have been a massive surge in juice to cause that kind of outage. Say the kind of power needed for time travel ?