How to Prepare for your Hoax

August

Starlord, you said,

Though the task is odious, we have entrenched our bulwarks, lit the eternal campfire to warm ourselves as salvo after salvo of daftness assails us. Who knew that such as we, would be the last bastion of sanity.

Truer words never spoken. In one punch you have drawn upon Roman imagery, explained my addiction to this forum, made me grateful for being here with you round the campfire, and given me an interesting cultural theory to chew upon. You are an economical poet, Sir.

/August throws another log on the fire. Sparks float up.

StarLord

August,

My friend you are too kind. Aye, we do share much, ALL of us. Truth be known, that line is something I would expect to read in one of Paul's post, or yours. The ONLY difference is, I arrived to that spot first.

Rough diamonds each and every one of us. Though facets may differ, as will the events to create each, the end result remains the same as does the center.

Judge Bean

Originally posted by August@Jan 11 2005, 10:50 PM
Starlord, you said,

Though the task is odious, we have entrenched our bulwarks, lit the eternal campfire to warm ourselves as salvo after salvo of daftness assails us. Who knew that such as we, would be the last bastion of sanity.

Truer words never spoken. In one punch you have drawn upon Roman imagery, explained my addiction to this forum, made me grateful for being here with you round the campfire, and given me an interesting cultural theory to chew upon. You are an economical poet, Sir.

/August throws another log on the fire. Sparks float up.

Pass the JD in the dented issue cup if you don't mind.

I thought we was going to go have to take on the French in the morning at Agincourt there for a minute, and was hearing "a little touch of Harry in the night."

StarLord

/Passes the dented canteen with the special markings, *wink*wink (the bottom the cup seems to be missing for some reason) and tosses another log on the fire..

What's that? The French you say? Hmmm.. (taking another sip after the canteen is passed back grimacing, if I didn't know better I swear this was hootch from torpedos...naw could't be, where would the first shirt get ahold of a torpedo this far from the Sub Base....) faint reminiscents of the Bard flit by

"If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
To do our country loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one manmore.

By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England.
God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one man more methinks would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!

Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.'
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words-
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother'be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Shakespeare, King Henry V

/echoes of tankards clanking arouse me from my sudden absence
and I wonder just how many times we have all rested behind bulwarks such as these, awaiting dawn, each face and eyes we see, known from before, as the sky awakens and dawn slowly ebbs, it comes to me,
Same sky, different eyes.

Zeshua

Re: How to Prepare for your Hoax

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"August\")</div>
8. Know your motivations thoroughly. The only thing you are going to get from this community is interesting social time in the safety of the internet. Anything else is better gotten in person. Think about what gets a time traveler out of bed in the morning. Don't start the hoax until you know this fully..[/b]

I truly agree with this statement. It is of great importance to know ones motivations. Have you ever thought that someone from the future, may actually have concern for those in the past? Perhaps, just perhaps, only small changes can occur, interest in social time is irrelevant, individuals personal safety is of my only concern.

When I think about what gets me out of bed, its the firm belief that, through no danger to myself or others, I can help those in the past. I know there are certain family concerns I personally have, that I would love to be able to rectify. However, I see that is not my place, I am here to help all those who will be in fear and confusion, and feel they have no future. I am here to tell you maybe you should go right, when you are thinking of turning left. All that I can do is, as I understand it now, be a guide. When events happen and confusion sets in, I will be here to calm those fears. No Jokester will be interested in the safety and well being of those with which they communicate.

I however, Truly and Deeply empathize with those who I have and will correspond.

Judge Bean

Interesting that you have elected to respond on this particular thread, and to respond in detail to one of the guidelines intended for anyone who would consider foisting a fiction upon the board. This could well be understood as a tacit admission.

You are on very, very thin ice.

There was no mention in your initial post of providing assistance to ancestral correspondents. Is this a part of your mission that you have chosen to hide until the right time or the right thread? Are you not modifying your message to fit what you perceive to be the available audience and what it wants to read? If so, you are definitely writing fiction.

This situation reminds me of a photograph I once saw in The Fortean Times, of civil war soldiers standing around the carcass of what was to all appearances a dinosaur. I began to spout off to someone that it was obviously a fake because of the age and (excuse me) the weight of the soldiers-- two recurring flaws in the otherwise finely-authentic costuming of civil war reenactors. I went on and on about the clean, natty uniforms, the too much gray in the beards, the obviously modern beerbellies.

Then someone said to me, "Say again, what was your first clue that this photograph of a civil war dinosaur was fake?"

Judge Bean

Shall one of us keep a scroll of the damned, listing every damaged personality who rides through these halls on his hobbyhorse, the details of his rise and fall, etc., etc., his probable date of graduation from high school, just for the sake of posterity?

"Laugh while you can, Monkey Boy!" --Dr. Lizardo, Buckaroo Banzai

StarLord

Does it matter if some of them had a glimmer of intelligence in their eyes or should we chalk that up to malice O' four thoughts on their part?