I bought a duck

CaryP

I bought a duck

I can't believe I'm sending a recipe for pecan pie from my wife to a guy I only know through a BBS (a Yankee from New York no less) like freakin' Betty Crocker or something. My attempt to spead a little Southern culture over the internet. Besides this BBS has a great community feel to it. So here goes.

Rob, my wife's favorite pecan pie recipe comes from "Talk About Good!", the official cookbook of the Junior League of Lafayette, LA (my hometown). The recipe is as follows:

Ingredients:

1/2 cup of sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups of pecans
1/2 stick of butter
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 cup of white Karo syrup

Cream sugar and butter. Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Add pecans, salt, vanilla and Karo syrup. Pour in unbaked pie shell and bake in 350 degree oven 45 minutes to 1 hour. To make two pies, double the ingredients, but not the cooking time. (Just kidding, I know you said you're a chef of sorts.) If any of this doesn't make sense, PM me and I'll get the translation from my wife.

My wife also recommends using whole or half pecans versus chopped pecans. The pecans rise to the top of the pie creating a "pecan" crust on top. It looks better to have whole pecans. Chopped pecans look like, well chopped pecans - not as attractive a presentation.

Her favorite pumpkin pie recipe can be found on the Libby's pumpkin pie filler can. No kidding. She's tried other recipe's but this is her favorite, mine too. With friends over you might want to bake one of each pie. The pumpkin pie definitely goes better with whipped cream. The pecan pie is good with or without whipped cream.

Both recipe's appear easy to do and don't take much time when I watch her bake either or both at the same time. I don't cook, so it still looks like magic to me.

Okay, Betty Crocker time is over. The feminine side of me just don't feel right, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Have a good one bro'.

Cary

StarLord

I bought a duck

Cary,

I just can't resist this, where exactly do you keep your femine side and much more importantly, what specificly are you using to explore that with seeins how it didnt 'feel right'???

Ayes jus gotts ta knoe!!! :D

PS. Ah caint buhleive ya'll missed muh duck tale, Suh.

CaryP

I bought a duck

Starlord,

My feminine side is my own damned business. I don't want to talk about it. I've been known to help the neighbors with decorating their home and their Christmas tree. I'm known to have good decorating taste and everyone is jealous of my Christmas tree decorating ability. You'll have to be satisfied with that. As for as what I use to explore the feminine side, well it's not for public consumption. Not that there''s anything wrong with that. :p

As for your duck story, I LMAO. Very entertaining. I didn't think it warranted comment, but I did appreciate it. Sounds like old Milt was one hell of a guy.

Thanks bud.

Cary

StarLord

I bought a duck

Cary, I must say, you bust me up sometimes, between you and Paul, folks may think I am going bonkers here. :lol: Not that that's a bad thing.

Speaking of cooking, I am with you on that line, my mother was/is a Gormet cook, kind of hard not to be as an officers wife. They entertain more than you could imagine. I left home knowing how to burn water with the best of them because I instinctively knew that if I wanted it to taste the way I wanted, I would have to know how to prepare it myself in order to pass the info along.

It is amazing to watch a woman's eyes and face the moment they realize that you weren't full of BS when you said that you could cook. Their eyes kind of glaze over and a slow, soft smile appears.

I personally would like to take this time to thank God for Dishwashers. I don't mind dirtying post and pans, it's the cleanup afterwards.

Judge Bean

I bought a duck

I loved that story too.

Do women nurture their "masculine" sides? I guess that's supposed to be the bad side.

CaryP

I bought a duck

Hey Rob,

What day are you going to do the duck? I'll be in my office this weekend (both days) in case you need to call me on the details. My 800 # is in the box with the jester hat. Just checked the airbill number with FedEx and it arrived at the sort facility in Newark, NJ today at 5:01pm. You should have it by tomorrow or Friday at the latest.

Cary

HackimerRob

I bought a duck

thanks. It'll be saturday, and I think he knows it. He's starting to have that "please don't do it" look on his face. I think I'll be allright with your explicit instructions. Everyone I tell keeps saying that spinning it's neck would be better than cracking his head, but i'm into the head cracking. We'll see. I'll have on the hat, and the "prepare to defend your chicken" t shirt I got last weekend.

Judge Bean

I bought a duck

Originally posted by Hackimer@ Rob,Aug 18 2004, 10:48 PM
...and I think he knows it. He's starting to have that \"please don't do it\" look on his face.

The look you see on G.W. Bush's face these days.

HackimerRob

I bought a duck

Exactly. So I got the jester hat. It's perfect, fits like a glove...on my head. Thanks very much CaryP, you are a gentleman and a scholar. And you know how to make a guy feel welcome! So Duck Death Day is closer and I'm starting to have dreams about the yummy thing. I keep seeing it like in those cartoons where folks are starving and they see the other folks on the liferaft as cooked chickens. mmmmm.
I bet the pekon pie is going to be scrumptulescent as well. Thanks again cary, and uh...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!