I bought a duck

CaryP

I bought a duck

Rob,

I don't know if you've heard about Ringout.org, but I'm posting the site here in case you decided to join the group when they protest the RNC in a couple of weeks. Good luck with your efforts. Here's the link to their site Ringout.org

Cary

HackimerRob

I bought a duck

Cary, thanks, I like what they're talking about on their site, and their protest ideas, the idea of the bells letting freedom ring all over the place is very exciting. I will get a bell!!!!
DING DONG NO DUCK!

HackimerRob

I bought a duck

SO, the 3D has been chosen. (that's Duck Death Day).
The duck will die on Saturday August 21st at approximately 5 pm, maybe a bit later as we may do it under the cover of darkness as not to arouse the neighbors. (I've got about 30 mexican immigrants to one side, and a greek family to the other).
I have also decided on the menu.
I will be making Duck A'l'orange, yep, that wonderful succulent dish.
On the sides we will have hari-covert, baby glazed carrots, and twice cooked small red potatoes, perhaps enriched by some rendered duck fat and bacon. mmmmm.
I'm pretty stoked. Cary, how do you feel about Pecans? I think I may attempt a Pecan Pie in honor of you. Unless you tell me you hate it, then I won't.
Anyone that can see this thread is welcome to come by for a drop of the duck if they're going to be in NY, just PM me and we can get specs drawn up.
Thanks again Mistah Prejean for your specific description of how to do the deed. If anyone has any favorite recipes for duck a'lorange, please feel free to share.

CaryP

I bought a duck

Hack,

I should be in my office at the time of the deed. If you're not sure about whatever, PM me and I'll give you my 800 number so we can converse while you're taking care of business. Pecans are damned wonderful. (Just pronounce them as "pa-cons" not "pee-cans" all Yankee like.) Pecan pie is a major holiday favorite down here. You might want to be thinking of a lucious French Vanilla ice cream (Blue Bell is the best, IMO, but Hagen Daas has a good French Vanilla as well.) or a top shelf whipped cream is the "THING" for hot pecan pie. You probably know how to make world class whipped cream, if you're the chef. If you follow a good recipe, you and your lady will be hooked on the stuff. Right behind that is Pumpkin pie for holiday desserts. Best of luck with your endeavors.

I'm available for whatever help you may need. Damn, I love a guy who's willing to go outside the edge of the envelope. Duck L'Orange (as we call it down here) is an excellent gourmet dish. The sides are also appealing. Pecan pie would be the Piece De Resistance to top off such an excellent meal. I wouldn't be giving out any invitations for duck dinner crashers. One duck with sides and desserts will be an ample meal for two. But a traffic of passerby's would leave you less than fulfilled. Enjoy your duck with your lady and screw the masses. Should be an excellent evening, so long as your lady doesn't barf over the killing, cleaning and other dirty deeds required for the evening's festivities.

Give her some money and send her shopping during these events if she's sensitive. "Aw honey, Ah got ta take care of sum bidness here. Why don you go shoppin' for sum womanly things? Here's sum cash ta amuse yoself with. Have a good time biscuit. Aw'll see ya in about an hour or so. Git somthin' pretty, sweet pea. Luv you too, ma angel. You are the love of ma life. Bye, bye now." Something along those lines. (Yes, that's how Southern Belles like/want to be talked to.)

Jester hat will be in the delivery system on Friday. You should have it for the duck dinner. Wear it in good spirits. Enjoy the duck. Yeeha.

Cary

Edit: Hack, would you like some great Southern pecan pie recipies? We have several. My Yankee wife (Chicago area) has become an excellent Southern chef, and makes killer pecan pie. Hell, the neigbors line up to get 'em around holiday times. Let me know. I can email or fax you her favorite. Very simple recipe. My three daughters can duplicate it. Duck L'Orange is not her specialty. Duck gumbo, fried duck and roasted duck are more her specialty, but then again, it's all wild game here, not domesticated. Duck L'Orange might be the ticket for the domesticated duck. Rock on bro. I'm excited just knowing about your "close encounter with a duck" experience. YEEEEHAAAA. Good Southern Rebel yell always makes me feel better.

HackimerRob

I bought a duck

I just had a great belly laugh at you mahn. With the quotes about what to tell the lady and
"Enjoy your duck with your lady and screw the masses" (wrong wrong images popped into my head after reading that).

Yeah, I will actually have two friends that have to partake, in both the killing and eating, and it should be, as we say in my circle, vicious, meaning great. (like bad meaning good or sick meaning awesome).

I'll take your pecan pie, and b'lieve me sir, I know it's not a pee-can, as Emeril Lagasse said, "that's what a trucker uses"

Judge Bean

I bought a duck

Originally posted by Hackimer@ Rob,Aug 13 2004, 12:40 AM
I just had a great belly laugh at you mahn. With the quotes about what to tell the lady and
\"Enjoy your duck with your lady and screw the masses\" (wrong wrong images popped into my head after reading that).

Yeah, I will actually have two friends that have to partake, in both the killing and eating, and it should be, as we say in my circle, vicious, meaning great. (like bad meaning good or sick meaning awesome).

I'll take your pecan pie, and b'lieve me sir, I know it's not a pee-can, as Emeril Lagasse said, \"that's what a trucker uses\"

Load that pie up with whipped cream, go out to the Convention demonstration with the dead duck and that hat, and try to land the pie in the face of a selfimportant keynote speaker of some sort. You'll go down in history.

HackimerRob

I bought a duck

mmmmm...whipped cream. Now Paul, I just might have to make two pies. But I would never be seen from again if I got that pie off.

StarLord

I bought a duck

What a waste of good pie. Just put whipped cream in the pie plate.. Oh I suggest you drink at minimun, 15 shots of espresso because you are going to need to move very friggin fast once the cream pie hits.

Cary, ANY ONE that describes good pie as 'Killer', is A-OK in my book. Death by Pakon Pie.... what a way to go. 'Oh My, Now Dats Da Way To Heaven"

Last night, I remembered a gentleman that trained me so very many years ago(don't ask) in the fine art of typesetting by hand and with a Ludlow type casting machine. His name was Milton Bradley, yup just like the toy company. So much so that the bank regulary screwed up, 2 to 3 times a year and placed his measley pay check in to that fat toy companies' account. Sadly, never the reverse, wouldn't you know. I am reminded because of this thread of a story he once told me about whern he was the young age of about 12 or so, circa 1930 somethin.

On his Grand Papy's farm, he constantly heard his grand pap exclaim that he would give 10 bucks to anyone that could gather up all the ducks on the farm so he could 'coral' them for some reason. Being of great stock, young Milt figured out a way to pull this off with a piece of thick bacon and very sturdy string.

There is a reason why the saying loose as a goose is true. If you have owned a goose or duck or even spent alot of time at the local pond, you know just why this saying is true. This species cannot digest bacon as I was told and I hope Milton wasn't pulling my leg as the story was just too good to forget.

So, one day Milton gets his Grand Pappy to commit to the $10.00 deal ( a princely sum in the 30's) and proceedes to tie the raw bacon to a very long amount of strong string and waits. Sure enough, it only took about 2 hours for each duck to try the slice of bacon. Milton walks out past a wall and calls his Grand Father over and all his Grand Pappy can see is Milton standing about 3 feet from the edge of the building, holding a string.

Milton received a whuppin from his father for almost killing his Grand Pappy, (who almost had a heart attack from laughing so hard for a prolonged period as he couldn't stop, in fact nobody could stop laughing as they had never seen 15 ducks linked by heavy string before in their lives) and Milton received $30 from his Grand Pappy that night. Milton claims that giggles were heard to bust out all that evening for no reason at all. I for one am very sorry to have missed this.