If the Earth ended....

Justinian

So if the Earth really did end, how long would it take? I know it all depends on exactly HOW. So I'm throwing this out there. What I was thinking originally was.. If a giant meteor hit the Earth and it shattered and blew apart. First of all, is that really what would happen if a large enough meteor/planetoid hit us? Secondly, how long would it actually be before we flew into space. And next, what would it really be like. I mean once the atmospheres start collapsing, the magnetic field going bonkers. Someone should make a movie based entirely on this process. I mean it's been in movies, but only short clips. I'm talking full on 2 1/2 hours of the Earth tearing itself apart. Or would it be faster?

Thoughts, opinions, concerns for my hairloss?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I remember Mount St Helens put out 400 mile per hour winds when it blew. So once the wind starts blowing I guess it would be pretty quick. Just imagine that volcano would be just a firecracker compared to the world blowing apart.

Samstwitch

I don't know if you would be interested in this or not. Not turning this into a religious discussion (so please no one start a debate here), but this is what Jesus said about the Last Day on Earth and how it will end. This will happen after ALL of Bible Prophecy comes to pass (which will be over 1,000 years from now).

During the early 1980's, Jesus appeared many times to a boy, Segatashya of Kibeho. CLICK ME to learn more about the story!

SEGATASHYA: "What will happen on the very last day?"

JESUS: "On the very last day, the planet will tremble and the joy of the righteous will be overwhelming. A great rainbow of countless colors will transverse the sky, and a white cloud will form in the heavens. At that moment you will see me emerge from the cloud carrying my cross. I will dispatch all my angels across Earth to assemble all the people of the world. My cross shall make the good and wicked alike tremble. And then I will pass judgment on all the souls before me, deciging who has worked faithfully for the Lord and who has not, and I will assign to each the place they have earned in eternity.

All the suffering of the End of Days will be over, and all the struggles of life on Earth will be gone forever. No one will need to repent anymore - because for the righteous, who have repented throughout their lives, now is the time to rejoice in heaven. And for the wicked, it will be too late to repent.

The soul never dies, and every soul belongs to God. On the last day, those souls who have earned a place in the Kingdom of God will leave Earth without taking anything with them. Those who have rejected God and are judged to be unrepentant sinners will descend into hell to suffer eternal death. Those who have loved and served God will ascend into heaven to spend life everlasting in paradise.

After all souls chosen by God have been led into heaven, a great fire will erupt from deep within the earth and the world will be consumed in flames, and all those who rejected God and refused to believe will burn in the fire."

Octavusprime

A meteor if it hit land would throw up dust that would put the world in complete darkness for a long time (months if not years). It would spark intense volcanic activity as well as earthquakes. The impact zone would be fried but the rest of the world would probably slowly die.

If it hit water we could get all the above plus a thousand foot high tsunami wave. Drowning and salinating the land.

Man will survive. We are basically cockroaches but earth life would be reset a bit as the climate acclimated and plants and animals reestablished.

It would be a dark time that is for sure. It is not a IF but more a when it will happen again. Space is full of giant rocks dancing around the sun waiting to pulverize a planet.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
That's a great topic. I thought about that kind of things a few times and it's never that clear to me. Imagine something as big as the moon collides with Earth. What happens and how fast?

Let's say something the size of the moon crashes on Earth's surface. It hits in Africa. What's going to happen from the point of view of an american? Is he gonna feel a mag. 15 Earthquake, then 4 seconds later, a giant unimaginable (and probably silent as it would come pretty fast) shockwave is going to wipe out everything in the USA and the rest of the world?

How big of a meteor would it take to literally pulverize the Earth to pieces?

Justinian

Exactly!.. I'm sitting here thinking.. damn. If another planet collided with Earth, how long would we have? Would we be dead before the two touched solid ground together? How long would it all take.

Let's say Venus decided today to start moving towards Earth(this way we don't have to worry about burning up in the sun first if it comes to where we are). How long would we have? Would it speed up as it got closer like two attracting magnets or would they be like same pole magnets and veer off from each other while still killing us all off?

What is the fastest record time that anyone thinks that the Earth could blow up. I don't mean just kill off life, I'm talking splintering into gazillions of pieces and forming a new asteroid belt. I don't think even if another planet hit us that it would happen quicker than a few hours.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Just imagine the forces and the amount of energy involved. I'm not sure how fast Venus would be coming though.

TnWatchdog

I remember Mount St Helens put out 400 mile per hour winds when it blew. So once the wind starts blowing I guess it would be pretty quick. Just imagine that volcano would be just a firecracker compared to the world blowing apart.
I thought about this massive wind...worldwide, which would create massive problems for us inhabitants of earth. What if the jet stream got messed up and lowered itself to the earth's surface? An approaching planet could cause this in addition to other problems. I also thought of a great movie plot...all of a sudden the earth looses it's gravity.

Octavusprime

I think that gravitational forces of both planets would cause the planets to merge not splinter into pieces. Unless the impact was at an extreme rate of speed and a glancing blow.

I'm thinking they would explode the molten center would act like glue to cause an even larger planet. It would take millions of years to be round again though.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I think that gravitational forces of both planets would cause the planets to merge not splinter into pieces. Unless the impact was at an extreme rate of speed and a glancing blow.

I'm thinking they would explode the molten center would act like glue to cause an even larger planet. It would take millions of years to be round again though.
If it didn't blow apart, the energy from a collision with another large object say close in size to us would probably create so much heat from the impact that both planets would probably become molten and merge as one. In the molten state it could easily acquire a spherical shape in a relatively short time. But the cooling off period may take quite a while. This might explain why all the planets are spherical in shape instead of jagged lumps like the asteroids.