Is accepting Jesus as messiah a sin?

HDRKID

Gnostic Christian

To GC:
You are right aliens fear GOD.

James 2:19
Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Matthew 10:28
Don’t fear those who kill the body but are not able to kill the soul; rather, fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Source: Matthew 10:28 Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

What is a soul, and what makes you think you have one or are one?

Why would you want to fear mythical entities?

Regards
DL

Yeats

What is a soul, and what makes you think you have one or are one?
I know you were not asking me, but that has never stopped me before.

Your soul is the fundamental "you". It is the you that you are speaking of when you refer to yourself.

But it is a tricky thing, the soul. When you try to point at it, you know that you're only guessing. The heart? Why? Because of some romantic Western medieval notions? Why not the belly? Many cultures believed (perhaps some still do) that its rumblings denoted deep thinking taking place.

Oh, but we're so much more modern now! We know that all mental activity is simply the result of electrochemical activity with the brain. This "soul-thing" is nothing more than an idea -- a mental construct of brain-wave patterns, which...

Woah! Woah! Slow down, buddy! I'll take your word for it! (Science, and all that.)

But then I remember: We are self-aware. When has random electrochemical activity ever given rise to self-awareness? And what is this "self" that we are supposed to be aware of? Could we not say that self-awareness is nothing more than soul-awareness?

Gnostic Christian

Your soul is the fundamental "you". It is the you that you are speaking of when you refer to yourself.
I call that my consciousness. Some use ego. Few use soul.

Could we not say that self-awareness is nothing more than soul-awareness?

Yes, in the way you are using the word.

Why clutter the language by applying soul to self?

If you used "myself", it tells me more than when you try to use the word soul.

Regards
DL

Yeats

I call that my consciousness. Some use ego. Few use soul.
I've never taken a poll to decide what word I should use to describe something which, at best, can only be imperfectly described. You may use whatever word pleases you, whether it be consciousness, or ego, or whatever. I even knew some folks once who referred to the soul as U1. What it is called is inconsequential to what it is.

Gnostic Christian

I've never taken a poll to decide what word I should use to describe something which, at best, can only be imperfectly described. You may use whatever word pleases you, whether it be consciousness, or ego, or whatever. I even knew some folks once who referred to the soul as U1. What it is called is inconsequential to what it is.
True.

It all depends on your other terms.

As a naturalist, I use scientific terms and not pure religious wording. Things are clearer in terms of meaning.

Here is how we describe the inside of our minds.

Gnostic Jesus was questioned as to what sees the vision?

Primary Sources - The Gospel Of Mary | From Jesus To Christ | FRONTLINE | PBS

The Saviour answered and said, 'He does not see through the soul nor through the spirit, but the mind which [is] between the two - that is [what] sees the vision...'

For where the mind is, there is the treasure.

===================

Christianity does not quite agree, wording wise, with us.

Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Our hearts just confirm that the vision is a treasure.

Regards
DL