Its impossible to time travel without causing a paradox

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
No offense, but most people here don't seem to be the smartest bunch. I've already corrected and improved einstein's test several times now, but he seems to want to stick to flaws and believing hoaxes. It's an idiotic thing to do. And yes, exactly that. Just saying "42" or "I'm 42" would have sufficiently answered the question. The additional comment was meant as a "hah now if you say I'm wrong it's because you don't actually know the answer", when in reality the question was about his personal self, which wouldn't have required that statement, demonstrating prior knowledge wasn't there.

The fact that this is chalked up as a success demonstrates the very obvious flaw in Einstein's "test". Not to mention there was 0 followup and he simply believed the answer. Certainly he should ask for a birth certificate or ID?

Not once did you improve the test. Although I did ask you to do so. The test can not be passed by guessing. Of course something is becoming very clear to me. Only hoaxers dislike the test. Are you admitting to be a hoaxer?

Cirrus

Not once did you improve the test. Although I did ask you to do so. The test can not be passed by guessing. Of course something is becoming very clear to me. Only hoaxers dislike the test. Are you admitting to be a hoaxer?

I'm not the biggest fan of the test, but there is no "perfect" test. I've also come here on a vacation from the year 3426, so maybe I'm not the best judge.

Your test requires the traveler to move along the same timeline while also generating an alternate timeline where the traveler fails your test. The question itself should require something static that will happen within hours or a day of the test. For example, you could ask: "tell me how much rain will fall in Mobile, Alabama tomorrow as reported by Fox10 News." The amount of rainfall is a static event that will be reported by Fox10 News and will likely only vary by a small amount and will not cause the traveler to unwittingly create an alternate timeline. Sure, there are probably timelines in the multiverse where it will not rain because of apocalyptic scenarios, but you have to hope that these are the outliers and will not generate that much flux in the variance. But the basis here is that it will either rain tomorrow in a certain place or it won't rather than "you must fail my test in the future in order to succeed in the past".

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I'm not the biggest fan of the test, but there is no "perfect" test. I've also come here on a vacation from the year 3426, so maybe I'm not the best judge.

Your test requires the traveler to move along the same timeline while also generating an alternate timeline where the traveler fails your test. The question itself should require something static that will happen within hours or a day of the test. For example, you could ask: "tell me how much rain will fall in Mobile, Alabama tomorrow as reported by Fox10 News." The amount of rainfall is a static event that will be reported by Fox10 News and will likely only vary by a small amount and will not cause the traveler to unwittingly create an alternate timeline. Sure, there are probably timelines in the multiverse where it will not rain because of apocalyptic scenarios, but you have to hope that these are the outliers and will not generate that much flux in the variance. But the basis here is that it will either rain tomorrow in a certain place or it won't rather than "you must fail my test in the future in order to succeed in the past".

We all know that we have choices. But those choices are not infinite. I'm not buying a car today. Those choices aren't available to me at this point in time. So a timeline will not branch out in that direction. It would make sense to provide the answer to my test question as quickly as possible. Thus avoiding any timeline branching. I chose this subjective type of test for the benefit of the time traveler. The time traveler would be able to prove to me that he/she can pass the test. Without exposing themselves to everyone else as the bonafide deal. Since I would tend to believe that a real time traveler would never take the risk of letting everyone know about the existence of a time machine that is in their possession.

Cirrus

I'm not buying a car today.

Why not? In the next hour you could decide, out of nowhere or as compelled by some unseen force, decide to walk into a car dealership and walk out with a car.

Since I would tend to believe that a real time traveler would never take the risk of letting everyone know about the existence of a time machine that is in their possession.

Except for, you know, all those guys on ApexTV. They are more than willing to tell you everything plus what they had for breakfast and what brand of underwear that they are currently wearing.

But, yes, you're right. A traveler would not want to risk exposing him/herself without good reason to do so. And if a traveler does expose him/herself, we may never know why because, ultimately, the timeline likely will change.

Apri1

It's posts like this which has me questioning the intelligence of the userbase here. The guy you claimed to pass it literally passed it by guessing. And no, I think the idea of the test is fine. The problem is the specifications. As I said, the answer to a number-based question can easily be guessed. Instead, feel free to let them know to answer a number (or don't), and then use a pseudo rng to generate a value which you then post. This way guessing doesn't work.

As for your quip about "only hoaxers dislike the test", it just goes to show your bias. You've deluded yourself into thinking your test is 100% accurate. I've explained how it results in both false positives and false negatives. It's honestly a pretty shit test, but can be fixed in the manner I described for the demographics I listed.

As for me, I make no claim of having the required abilities (backwards and forwards travel, timeline differentiation and manipulation). Most time travel claims do not match those requirements, so I'm not sure why you think your test would apply. It's just idiocy on top of idiocy.

I literally just explained this, but he pretends it's not an issue. A prng is the best bet, because it's deterministic, but unpredictable and unguessable.

We all know that we have choices. But those choices are not infinite. I'm not buying a car today. Those choices aren't available to me at this point in time. So a timeline will not branch out in that direction. It would make sense to provide the answer to my test question as quickly as possible. Thus avoiding any timeline branching. I chose this subjective type of test for the benefit of the time traveler. The time traveler would be able to prove to me that he/she can pass the test. Without exposing themselves to everyone else as the bonafide deal. Since I would tend to believe that a real time traveler would never take the risk of letting everyone know about the existence of a time machine that is in their possession.

If they didn't want people to know they're a time traveler, why would they even bother to try and pass your test? Or post here at all? More nonsense. I'm starting to think other time travelers don't come here because people simply can't understand. Sad to see.

Harte

If they didn't want people to know they're a time traveler, why would they even bother to try and pass your test? Or post here at all? More nonsense. I'm starting to think other time travelers don't come here because people simply can't understand. Sad to see.
Even if there is such a thing as time travel (and IMO there isn't,) no time traveler has ever posted here or on any other forum (or other form of media.)

Harte

Cirrus

I literally just explained this, but he pretends it's not an issue. A prng is the best bet, because it's deterministic, but unpredictable and unguessable.

A prng has its own issues. Sure it's unpredictable and unguessable, but also requires a completely static timeline. For the prng test to work the traveler would need to be the first and only time traveler that there ever is, was, or will be. That way the traveler can travel from point A to point B and back to point A without wondering whether somebody else is messing around on the timeline which would cause a different result on the prng. There's also the problem that just by trying to pass the test the traveler creates another timeline which would cause issues for the traveler passing similar tests. I just don't see something as unpredictable as a prng given the same results across the multiverse.

I guess this logic applies to lottery numbers too, but that's mainly a rigged system so the chances are better that tomorrow's winning lottery numbers are the same or similar across the multiverse.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
It's posts like this which has me questioning the intelligence of the userbase here. The guy you claimed to pass it literally passed it by guessing. And no, I think the idea of the test is fine. The problem is the specifications. As I said, the answer to a number-based question can easily be guessed. Instead, feel free to let them know to answer a number (or don't), and then use a pseudo rng to generate a value which you then post. This way guessing doesn't work.

I am convinced you don't know what you are talking about. Perhaps you never bothered to read the thread where The_Observer passed the test. Maybe it would be easier if I administered the test to you. So you can demonstrate how you can guess the answer to a question chosen from an infinite question base.

So here it is: "Please provide the answer to the question I haven't asked you yet."

Cirrus

I am convinced you don't know what you are talking about. Perhaps you never bothered to read the thread where The_Observer passed the test. Maybe it would be easier if I administered the test to you. So you can demonstrate how you can guess the answer to a question chosen from an infinite question base.

So here it is: "Please provide the answer to the question I haven't asked you yet."

Crap, that answer was already used.