John Titor's Non-lethal Weapon

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
JT's non lethal weopon...

I listened to C2C last night about these things. You cannot be tracked by these things, they'd be too big if they did. The only time they're activated is when they come into the proximity of a scanner.

I still sure as hell don't want one in me. What's to stop someone with a scanning device to drive around the desert or something looking for anyone who has one? What's to stop a terrorist or a kidnapper from just cutting someone's arm off to get rid of the device?

StarLord

And if those scanners were put all over???They could look just like a Postal Box, or something on a light post. I'd prefer to have them try and track my soul. At the very least they would spend Billions and finally scientifically have to say, "OK we can track the damn thing, we just can't tell which one of them is you"
Lucky for us, we didn't come with a barcode.

I am expecting that to happen soon though for prisioners, they will have their own personal implant. You wouldn't need security then, simply follow the blip on the screen and light up the fences when it gets close.

Darkwolf

And if those scanners were put all over???They could look just like a Postal Box, or something on a light post

That is pretty frightening. The only problem they'd have is cost. Now putting them all over the major cities.....

Judge Bean

Originally posted by Darkwolf@Oct 15 2004, 10:48 PM
How about we stick them in the detainees at Quatanamo then let them go and see where they detainees go?
Not a bad idea.

Though I don't think the things have quite strong enough of a signal that they can be tracked by satalite. Yet. The seem to only be good for acess readers, and scanners. Maby short range direction finding. All I'll say is keep the @###$ thing the @%$## away from me!

It's OK for others, but not for you?

Darkwolf

It's OK for others, but not for you?
Yes, these people are the enemy. I think we are trying to use the military in a law enforcement role against terrorists rather than fighting a war. We are thinking in terms of "bringing them to justice" rather than "winning the war" or better yet "destroying the threat." After all, the government's primary duty is to it's own citizens. Any forign threat needs to be delt with as quickly and efficiently as possible.
It is ok for the military to do alot of things to the enemy in a war that would be wrong if done to it's own citizens. If implanting them with chips would help us find fix and destroy the enemy then so be it. However if they wanted to do that to us,,, they have to follow an entirely different set of rules.
Phil

Unintentional

I seem to recall Jeff Nickols (Tim McVeigh's accomplice) was medically inserted with a tracking device as part of his bail agreement. I suspect this was to monitor his movements and find more acomplices. Were his rights violated?

Darkwolf

seem to recall Jeff Nickols (Tim McVeigh's accomplice) was medically inserted with a tracking device as part of his bail agreement. I suspect this was to monitor his movements and find more acomplices. Were his rights violated?

Good question. I'd probably say yes, but since it was part of a bond agreement its kind of a grey area.

Judge Bean

We haven't yet reached the point when the government can brand, implant, or tattoo people to "track" them, and the violations of rights involved are almost too many to list. Nor have we yet reached the depth of practice in which the guarantee of rights is limited to citizens. Remember that the country is made of immigrants, except for the natives and slaves, who were originally deprived of far more than rights, and remain to this day imperfectly honored.

We haven't yet reached the low levels of treatment of ourselves and others suggested by these excited posts. But take heart: if you really want this kind of brutality and official cruelty, and you persist in ignorance of justice, you will no doubt eventually have your way. All that it requires is a bit more official OK, and we'll be on our way.

Polish your thumbscrews and light the bonfires.