Keto/Atkins/Low Carb

titorite

That's a terrible idea.
Perhaps. Uninformed human medical experimentation is an unethical terrible idea but that happens in the US military. Its a documented fact. It is something those on the inside even make jokes about in coping but they all know that they volunteered for whatever uncle sam asks of them when they volunteered. Personally i think moving the armed forces to a keto is a great idea because of the potential health benefits post service. ...

Karios, do you know how they are currently trained to eat and how that effects them when they get out? Do you know many current or former military? I mean i was raised in it and been surrounded by it my whole life so i may be a little biased and hopeful for healthier soldiers but i am curious where your perspective comes from and why?

Kairos

Perhaps. Uninformed human medical experimentation is an unethical terrible idea but that happens in the US military. Its a documented fact. It is something those on the inside even make jokes about in coping but they all know that they volunteered for whatever uncle sam asks of them when they volunteered. Personally i think moving the armed forces to a keto is a great idea because of the potential health benefits post service. ...

Karios, do you know how they are currently trained to eat and how that effects them when they get out? Do you know many current or former military? I mean i was raised in it and been surrounded by it my whole life so i may be a little biased and hopeful for healthier soldiers but i am curious where your perspective comes from and why?

I am a veteran.

If I am going into combat, I am going to carb the fuck up.

And the reason servicemen get fat in the military is because the military feeds them in the first place. If you want to make it better, then contract the chow hall out to a health-oriented food service provider. Even where they do contract that out, it's with the cheapest bidder, who uses the most God awful food.

The military cannot fix fattening troops because the military is the source of the problem. I guarantee you that they will just create even fatter troops if they tried to do this too. And the troops would perform like total shit.

Kairos

If you want an idea of how stupid the military is, they refer bodybuilders to the weight loss program because their BMI is "obese".

These guys have like 10% body fat or less.

The only thing the armed forces are good at are making you fat as fuck. For real. Even their fitness metrics are garbage. Their training methodologies are garbage and overrated just because it's the military.

Even the special forces train like shit to some extent. Their conditioning is incredible, but their strength training is generally not that great. Who do you think is responsible for this crossfit scourge?

My advice: if you want to be fit, then look at how gymnasts train their upper bodies, and how powerlifters train their lower bodies. If you want to get really crazy, check out how ballet dancers train (their relative strength in their lower body is elite like a gymnast is elite in relative upper body strength). Look at how people like that eat as well. Hint: they carb the fuck up.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Also gotta remember to be kind and non judgement with yourself. If your in a good weight range medically just remember not to sweat the small pounds. Coulda been a large dinner or muscle increase.

Although not in the obese category, I have 40 more to lose. Seems impossible, though.

Also heard that the military is planning to go keto for better troop health.

But isn't it bad to be on ketosis long term?

The article was mostly a hack job though decrying the keto diet and the outrage in the comment section so ridiculas. People crying about

Although I am not losing weight on low carb, staying low carb keeps me from gaining. Carbs turn to sugar in the blood. I can understand why they would want soldiers to eat in a healthy manner.

I kicked my own ass yesterday removing large branches from pathways in the woods. My heart rate actually got up to 140.
I was shaking when I was done.

Woke up today --- not a single ounce lost. Not even water.

View attachment 8236
Holy crap Paula. You're working your patushy off.

Don't hurt yourself trying to do it!

Let's go for this... Happy and healthy. That's it! Your effort should make you happy.

Super model is not the goal. Just plain you, happy and healthy works!

Learning that myself the hard way.

I remember riding my butt off on a stationary bicycle. My commander walked by and told me to put even more effort in it because I broke a record for the station. I thought to myself inside my head "screw you", then politely told him I was getting dizzy and slowd down. Because, I was literally getting dizzy.

Love yourself the way you are. It doesn't matter if anyone else does. Don't be too hard on yourself. Been there. Did that. My whole life because I was never good enough for anyone else.

1 goal. Healthy and happy. For you.

Maybe vegan would help. But, you know what? Personally it's out of the question. I love prime rib and chicken too much. Lol.

Ps. I've always liked you. We were just dealing with our own personal issues, individually. You do have a woman on your side wanting what you want for yourself.

Let's get this turkey going. Growing together. Women should never be divided.

Met an AWESOME woman today that's gets it all. As a woman. Lucky/blessed.

Last edited:
Ps. The training for the military is not I individually designed. It is designed for large groups. I went in at 101 lbs. and a size 2. I came out 110 lbs and a size 1. I'm sure lacking in body fat that is essential to long term good health.

I went in that small because I worked my rear end off even as a teenager. Chores for mom. The type that would be cruel and unusual punishment in this day (rolling eyes). A perfect house and lawn. I began running in the desert, riding my bicycle and others couldn't keep up, Horse back riding and rock climbing, as rebellion against my mother's perfect box made for me (she hated the rock climbing. Even with ropes. I still giggle to this day). I love her to this day for her effort and making me who I am. * Paula, hear me. I went in thinking I was nothing. Came our knowing my life experience prepared me better than the average bear*. But, I've learned to lighten up with my children because of my own experience. Taking things at a pace they need.

Paula, even in that condition, unicorn condition my commander was recommending I skip over the ranch dressing for oil and vinegar on my salad.****

Some fat is Good!. Your body needs it to function properly.

The100% goal here is a healthy, happy you. That's it. ! Love your body the way it is!

What does that look like, to you? That's all that matters.

If you're not happy with your results on your own , find a personal trainer with knowledge of food and training that will keep you feminine. The splurge? Worth it, because you are worth it.

Last edited:

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Love yourself the way you are. It doesn't matter if anyone else does. Don't be too hard on yourself. Been there. Did that. My whole life because I was never good enough for anyone else.

Well, I'd be happy if I could at least dump my blood pressure medication. It did get better. I was on two previously. But I want to eliminate it.
I worry about all the sodium in this low carb diet.

Maybe vegan would help. But, you know what? Personally it's out of the question. I love prime rib and chicken too much. Lol.

I'm stubborn, too. I love a good steak once in a while and I do need the protein to keep my blood sugar stable.

See, I have to diet HEAVY and exercise HEAVY to not gain. Most people do that to LOSE. So, what does it take to lose?

I am at a total loss.

I get to mow 5 acres today --- 400 calories if I do an hour. (I usually get sick in the heat and make my husband take over).

Kairos

You might want to ditch that fitness tracker. The calories it tells you that you burned are almost certainly bullshit, especially after weeks of the same kinds of exercise (your body adapts to it).

The best way to burn calories consistently is strength training. Your body does not adapt to strength training by down-regulating your metabolism, but by hypertrophy and neurological adaptations.

If you use a fitness tracker, I would go with maybe a quarter of the calories it says you burned. Divide the number in half twice. Use that as your calories burned. But if your metabolism is already crashed because you have been in a deficit for a long time, you should focus on fixing that by slowly increasing your calories and definitely never do that again.

Then your calorie intake is almost certainly wrong. There is no way to really know for sure. The best way I found when cutting (and I never cut for more than two months straight) is just to ensure I go to bed slightly hungry.

Nor would I count walking and mowing the grass as exercise when deducting from my daily caloric budget. In fact, the best way to do it is to just use a fixed caloric budget and commit to doing as much intense exercise as possible, preferably a a combination of strength training and intense cardio (like sprinting). Walking every day is still a great thing to do for your metabolism, but the calories you will burn doing that are really low.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
You might want to ditch that fitness tracker. The calories it tells you that you burned are almost certainly bullshit, especially after weeks of the same kinds of exercise (your body adapts to it).

But it's tracking my heart rate. And This is heavy stuff is new because I just moved here. Basically, you tell me that
everything I do is worthless. Nothing I do is exercise. I'm beginning to resent that because I disagree. I sweat and burn calories.
People do not have to be body builders and bench press 3 hours a day to lose weight. And I don't have time for that, anyway.

If everything I do won't help me lose weight, How does everyone else do it by doing less? You think it's bull shit because you
don't BELIEVE ME. It's the only proof I can provide. I am SWEATING OUT THERE. You think I'm sitting at home doing nothing.

The best way to burn calories consistently is strength training.

Lifting boards is strength training. And I do weights, just not at a gym. You are just convinced that EVERYONE has to be a body builder like you. If I am not Arnold Schwarzenegger, I won't lose weight. That's BS. The WW app shows thousands that aren't body builders that have lost over 100 lbs.

Please, and I don't mean to be rude at all, but WHY DO SO MANY LOSE ON WEIGHTWATCHERS by dieting and walking? I lost 50 and it stopped but others lost 100 or more. Explain that please.

Nor would I count walking and mowing the grass as exercise when deducting from my daily caloric budget

I don't always walk. I hike...stepping over trees, climbing hills of leaves/natural mulch, ducking under branches, wading through leaves. I sometimes get my heart rate to the max. How is that not exercise?

If you've never used a 0 turn lawn mower, you don't know the amount of arm work involved and pushing that occurs to hold yourself
up when going up and down hills. I'm sore. I did it for 2.5 hours. I burned calories and my heart rate got high.

I disagree with you that I am not exercising enough. I can hardly move. If that were "nothing", I'd be fine.

Let's just leave it at that -- I'm done trying to PROVE that I do heavy work on my property.

Who wants to discuss Keto and Atkins?