My son heard me tell him to come downstairs, but I wasn't home!

cmac

Well, I didn't just hear my name. I heard footsteps and the floor moving above me, vibrating I guess, from people walking in the front door. And then no one was home.

This was beyond just auditory for me. Cool that you shared that phenomena though. I appreciate your input, but to me doesn't explain the experiences that we had, mostly at our old house.

Cmac

jadonx

Searched and came across this post after an experience tonight!
Me my wife and eldest son were at home and my youngest son Jack was out with his friends.
My wife and I decided to go to a local shop in the car. We got back home and my wife shouted upstairs "are you in Jack". We both heard my sons voice shout "I'm up here". Nothing unusual for a sixteen year old who goes straight to his computer .
About 10 minutes later the doorbell rang. I looked out of the window expecting to see one of my sons friends.
To my surprise or horror......... it was Jack.
Me and my wife have both said if it was one of us who heard his voice, either one of us would have dismissed it as imagination, but we both heard his voice clear as day.
What an earth was this. I am now starting to think now as a few days ago the tap was running in the sink when I got out of the shower and as a thorough person I couldn't believe I had left it running! :eek:

tomaso88

wow thats creepy as either some ghost is haunting you or your have a share illusing this happens by 1 person hearing it then they say they heard it and then everyone elses mind makes them think they heard it to not saying thats happening to you its just a possibility but that is pretty creepy

cmac

This might interest some people on this forum. I spoke face to face with Rosemary Ellen Guiley (who has written over 40 books on the paranormal) about this subject, of hearing voices of family members who weren't home at the time. She claimed that this is a fairly common experience with hauntings, which was news to me actually. I've only heard a few cases of this happening. In fact most of the other cases I've seen reported actually came from this topic on this forum after I posted this experience. Since posting this experience, I've seen a few other reports like it, in other places. But according to Rosemary, she has had numerous reports from people over the years of this phenomena occuring, along side other reports of paranormal in the same location.

CarpeNemo

I'm pretty sure activities like these are actual hauntings. But instead of doing the usual moving of objects or making strange noises they interact by imitating the voices of living people, especially if that person isn't home.

It shouldn't be harmful, either. Generally an "imitator" (for lack of me thinking of a better term) isn't up to no good, but just trying to interact. Unless things start to get hairy, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

cmac

Thanks for the comments CarpeNemo. I would have to agree that we haven't noticed anything harmful, or that scary really. Once you get use to these things happening now and then, it isn't such a big deal. It does surprise you, when it happens, and makes you wonder what is truly going on.

It's funny, a lot of people that I tell about our experiences in our current home, and our previous house, just a few miles away, they are like, "I couldn't live there! I don't know how you do it?" It's not like things happen daily, and it isn't like it is something really scary, or something trying to drive us out of our home. It just seems that a few times a year, we notice things happening that are hard to explain rationally, I love hearing that term, "rational". Anyway, we've had disembodied voices, phantom smells appear and then disappear, the voice mimicking, and a few times where we heard a door open and someone walk the wooden floored entry way. More than a handful of experiences in our new home, and our previous house we had even more experiences, and my daughters reported seeing their great, great grandmother in their rooms at night, numerous times. And of course my wife and I while sitting on the couch saw 6 or 7 pieces of paper that were folded in half, stand straight up, right in front of us on the coffee table and then lay back down as if someone stood it up, and then layed it back down.

Definately interesting when these things occur, very surprising as they happen, but nothing really scary or making you want to move out or anything like that. The only thing that was remotely scary was one night I woke up in the middle of the night, and I sat in the dark in my recliner (not sure why, lol), about 20 seconds or so later, I heard what sounded like someone (a large someone), jumping up and down on the floor and the sound came from an area where there is a wall between an upstairs bedroom (for my 5 year old at the time) and the attic space. I ran upstairs thinking my daughter was up to something, it was so loud I thought for sure the whole family would wake up from the noise. I got upstairs, opened the door to my daughters room, and she was sound asleep, no signs whatsoever of her having been up, and the sound was far too loud for her to have created anyway. But your mind trys to rationalize things right away. I still can't believe as loud as this was, that she didn't wake up, but she is a very sound sleeper. This sounded like someone my size, and I'm not small, jumping up and down for like 2 to 3 seconds on the floor above. Never heard this sound before, or since, and there is nothing in that area of the house, that could create a noise and vibration like I heard and felt. Strange indeed.

Certain areas of the house, have been the source of the majority of the paranormal experiences, near the front door, the stairs just in front of the front door, and my daughters room upstairs. Strangely enough, a buddy of mine made some dowsing rods. I actually laughed when he gave them to me, thinking, "Surely these things won't do anything". But to my surprise, they sure did, and in certain areas in the house, they move like crazy. And many of these areas actually coincide with the areas of the paranormal experiences. I recently purchased a frequency counter, which measures the electromagnetic frequencies, I basically measured the entire house, moving it all around, from floor to ceiling, all around the rooms, and documented the readings and their locations on my digital audio recorder. The baseline measurements, were quite a bit lower than the areas that spiked. These areas that spiked in electromagnetic frequency, are also the exact areas that the dowsing rods move like crazy. I've had numerous people, skeptics, staunch debunkers, and what you would term I guess, "believers", all try the dowsing rods around the house, all have felt the rods move, without them moving them. One of the biggest skeptics of the dowsing rods refused to try them out. Seems he didn't want to take a chance feeling something going on, that he didn't believe possible. Well anyway, he was visibly scared to try them out. I tested the frequency counter around circuits, switches, and the like, there was no correlation between any electrical stuff, and the spots in the house where the frequencies are the strongest. Most of the areas, are out in the middle of the rooms, closets, and openings of the house, with nothing around those areas, to explain these spikes in energy. And when you move closer to electrical outlets, the numbers drop actually. What it all means, I don't know, but is interesting.

I want to get to the truth of the matter. In the past couple of years, I've heard of a lot of alledged paranormal and ghostly activity in our town and the surrounding area.

CarpeNemo

You've basically done the best you can - using an EMF detector to find the anomalous spots was a good idea.

I'll pass on a theory I've been working on, as well. It's going to be a long post, so I pray you don't think I'm trying to hijack your thread.

I live about 16 miles from the closest town, out in the stix. My house is situated in the basin/valley/depression, and is surrounded by hills on all sides, of different slope grades. We can't get cell phone reception here at all, and satellite internet doesn't work (amazingly, satellite TV does, but our image quality is visibly low and often get cut outs).

The property I live on is about 20 acres, and is pretty well flat excepting for the hill that my house sits upon. Ground is often soggy and wet, and when it isn't is mighty hard to dig through.

I mention all these things for a reason, I assure you. I'm hoping your location might share physical similarities with mine.

We've always had strange paranormal activities going on here. When my grandparents first moved here and lived in a trailer, strange things would always happen such as keys moving from their assigned places (my grandfather was adamant about having a key rack) or chairs moving about, sometimes even visibly.

They moved out of the trailer once the house I'm currently sitting in was built, about 19 years ago. My parents moved into the aforementioned trailer (which, a few months later, I was born) and reported the same strange occurrences.

Since this house was built, the original trailer was hauled away and replaced with another (which I've got interesting personal stories about that I might share) where I lived until I was 10, upon which it burned down (a strange story in itself, as well). My parents then built a house not far from my grandparents.

All this time strange things have happened. I can't speak for all of my family, but with just my own experiences I've seen shadow people, ghost lights, heard conversations in an aside-from-me empty house, and that's just the worth telling about experiences.

Recently, I bought a needle-type EMF detector and took readings from around my property. The woods, especially where it's most marshy, have the highest constant readings (generally in the 10-16 range) while the area around the house is usually lower (a lot of times 0 but I've gotten readings from 1 to one spectacular reading where the reader maxed out).

The reason I made such a point to describe all of that is that I think this property is a naturally occurring high EMF spot. And unlike the show Ghost Hunters which assumes that all EMF readings come from ghosts, I think ghosts might be attracted to it as a source of energy for manifestation. And my theory is that ghosts are attracted not only to meaningful spots but that wandering ghosts might look for high-EMF areas to inhabit.

I've had so many ghost activities that seemed to me that sometimes a new ghost would come, one would leave, and the "resident ghost" would change a lot. Events that seemed like the ghost had a different personality from the one before or after it. I've had hostile ghosts who liked to toss around light items (like empty butter bowls) and papers, and I've had ghosts that seemed positive.

What I'd like to ask you to do is to check around your area with your meter. I wonder if you might be living near a high-EMF area (such as near cell phone or radio towers, or electrical equipment) that might have a hand in causing some of your activities.

cmac

CarpeNemo, Thanks for sharing that,. good stuff. I like to hear peoples experiences, and it is refreshing for others to just lay out their experiences, and allow us to take a look and try to figure out what is going on. Sounds like you had a tremendous amount of activity. Far beyond what we've had in my homes.

I have a KII meter, emf detector, but I don't get much from it, seems this frequency counter is much more sensitive to energies around. I didn't purchase it for ghost hunting, I purchased it for measuring actual frequencies. It likely has multiple uses, and I have will have to play around with it.

I live on a hill, lots of rolling hills and valleys around here. I just happen to be on a hill, around 1000 ft. elevation. The only somewhat strange things that I've noticed on our 5 acre property, are that on the west and north sides of the house, swarms of knats are commonly around in the late Spring, summer and early fall months. And we have the largest ant hill that I've ever seen in my life about 350 to 400 feet behind the house. I kid you not, it is about 5 1/2 feet in diameter, and about a foot and a half tall. It has been there for at least 3 years now, that I know of. Quite a few snakes, not much rock, and the birds love it here, even though there aren't any trees actually on our property, well, no mature trees, we have small ones planted in the front yard. Lots of worms here, and why the birds love it.

I actually looked at a local cell phone tower map lately, and there aren't any within like 5 miles of our house. No radio towers really close either. I will try to get some measurements outside at some point. May be a while, busy this time of year. I want to measure the areas where the knats swarm and the ant hill of course. I will try to report what I find.

A guy in town, a customer of mine, actually just today was telling me, that he and numerous people at his home, have seen a woman in a dress. He mentioned something about this to me a few years ago also, but was more in depth this time about it. He says that his cats at times will stare at an empty chair, and their backs hunch up, and all their hair stands up, they are not happy about something they sense or see. He has also caught them staring into the corner. He says that the entire house seems to fill with static electricity before, during and after sightings of this woman. They were having a wedding at the house, which was built in like the 1850's I believe, and a woman at the wedding, came running out of the house as fast as she could. She apparently had seen the woman, and asked him how long he has known about the woman. He said, "What woman?" She said, "You know who I'm talking about" There are supposedly numerous houses in town that are said to be haunted. Around town as well. I don't know how it compares to other places around, but it seems there is a high amount of activity here for some reason.

When I walked into the bathroom the other night after my daughter heard that voice, it felt different in that room, compared to the rest of the house. It could have had something to do with my anticipation, and what she had reported to me, or it could have been some actual energy in that room. I didn't think to grab any devices to see what they were showing. It was just a feel.

CarpeNemo

It might just be me clinging on with desperate hope, but I'm pretty sure that show Ghost Hunters isn't faked, but merely the team is a bunch of boobs. They catch the right amount of evidence (that is to say, not a lot of conclusive evidence, but enough) and they've basically put the K2/KII meter on the ghost hunting map.

If you're willing to try it, maybe try to talk to the spirit with the K2. Ask the ghost to make the lights light up in response to questions. It really seems to work for the idiots on Ghost Hunters, so I would think an intelligent person behind the reader might get better results.

Superman

I think that ghost is attracted to you son or wants to play with your son. I believe that ghost is called a Doppelganger. A ghost that copies everything about you. And some say, when you see your Doppelganger it will kill you and replace you here on earth.