Padraic

Padraic

Padraic

In answer to the questions I missed the last time, the Series 6 allows me to market mutual funds, not individual stocks. The question regarding my identification was covered in a post on the other board, but here we go again. There was a couple who took me in back in 1994 when they discovered me in Northside Park in Norfolk. I do not know how he managed it, but the man managed to obtain a forged birth certificate that I was able to use to obtain a Social Security number and eventually a driving permit. Learning to drive a motor vehicle was quite a frightening experience for me, especially the speed at which they move. The SEC wanted work history as far back as I could provide it, so I gave them that. There was no criminal history on my record, so everything checked out. The classroom training was at my company office. Some of the other people there who were already licensed went through the study materials with us and I studied the material for many hours before taking the exam, which I found to be quite difficult.

I handle mostly retirement planning, IRAs and the like. We also counsel people on eliminating debt, basically getting out of debt and planning for a secure future, principles that haven't changed much from where I came from.

I must say that your questions were quite different from what I am used to handling. Most people want to know about where I come from instead of where I am now. Since I do not have a clue how to get back there, I must assume that I am here to stay and that where I am now bears more consequence than where I have been. As for my story being watertight, how can we expect that? Even the most weatherly ship works at the seams a little and requires some time at the pumps to get them dry. We should measure the depth of water in the well and if it gets too high, then there is cause for alarm. If I came out with a story impeccable in every detail with no apparent discrepancies, I would think that would smell funny, since anyone with enough research time could come up with such a story. Someone going from memory is invariably going to get a few small details a little off. I just hope that I keep those to a minimum. At best, my story is both difficult to prove or disprove, since I cannot produce a prediction of the future like the folks claiming to be from the future can. At least with them, you have them over a barrel if the prediction turns out false.

So now I need to attend to my duties in the kitchen. My wife will be home soon and I need to have so much done before she arrives so I do not end up standing the dog watch. I bid you all a good night.

Padraic

Padraic

Padraic

Let me amend the title of my thread slightly. You call me a time traveler from 1807, but my journey was far from intentional. Since the word traveler, at least to me, would indicate some intent on the part of the traveler, perhaps I am some sort of cosmic accident victim. I do not know if that title has quite the same ring to it, though, so perhaps we will stick with what you put there from the start.

Good night,

Padraic

Snow

Padraic

Originally posted by Padraic@Aug 16 2004, 08:23 PM
Let me amend the title of my thread slightly. You call me a time traveler from 1807, but my journey was far from intentional. Since the word traveler, at least to me, would indicate some intent on the part of the traveler, perhaps I am some sort of cosmic accident victim. I do not know if that title has quite the same ring to it, though, so perhaps we will stick with what you put there from the start.

Good night,

Padraic

Hello Pedraic - I amended the title - I hope you like it!

@);-

SFW

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Padraic

Hi there.

Your story is extremely fascinating. If this is a gag, it's an extremely well thought out and well prepared gag.

The way you type, and the maturity of your "voice" only lends to your credibility.

When you find the time, I'd like you to please answer some questions for me. I'm sure these have been covered on the old forums, but I make it a rule never to go there. Personal thing ;)

How did you arrive here? Did you just wake up and here you were?

What was your initial reaction to your situation, and to this time?

What do you think is the greatest waste of mankind's technology?

What was your reaction when you learned that man has walked on the moon.... And then lost interest?

Did you have a wife/kids in the 1800s?

Is there a missing person's report for you? MIA perhaps?

What was the first movie you saw in this timeline? What did you think?

How hard was it for you to learn to use and type on a computer?

I think that's plenty right now... My aplogies if it's too much at once. One other question... Have you ever listened to a show called "Coast To Coast AM"? Used to be hosted by Art Bell, but is now hosted by George Noory. Would you consider being a guest on their show? I think you might gain a lot of insight into how you got here by doing that.

Their website is http://www.coasttocoastam.com

The email to request to be a guest is [email protected]

Have a good night :)

CaryP

Padraic

I handle mostly retirement planning, IRAs and the like. We also counsel people on eliminating debt, basically getting out of debt and planning for a secure future, principles that haven't changed much from where I came from.

Padriac,

This isn't exactly what I'd call "financial analyst" work, but you're entitled to call it whatever you'd like. "Financial analyst" to me is someone who examines financial statements of publicly traded corps. using various ratios and metrics to determine profitability, rates of growth, financial stability, etc. Bonds are another area of "financial analysis" but there are different standards of measurement than stocks. Sounds more like you're on the retail side of the business. So a couple more questions if you don't mind. I understand if you don't want to answer some of them. I'd appreciate a "no comment" on the ones you don't care to answer. Then again, you could blow me off and not even respond.

Do you handle your own group of clients or do you assist a Series 7 broker with his/her clients?

Sounds like the practice you're involved with is more commission based, yes/no? Do you have any fee based clients, or have you tried that yet?

Are you also licensed to market variable annuities?

Are you familiar with the Elliot Wave Principle?

Have you read any books by Robert Prechter, Jr.?

Are you familiar with the Austrian school of economics?

What is your division of Citigroup telling you/your office about projected market targets for the end of this year? (I'm sure they're bullish, I'm just curious as to how much they are.)

Thanks again, lady's man. (That's a joke, since most of the ladies here dig your style. Reference to the SNL character "Lady's Man" - "got me a bottle of Courvoisier and a lady." the Lady's Man. Hell, they even made a movie out of it.)

Cary

cerial

Padraic

? chara

good to see you posting here .. was wondering what happened over on the other board.

i never offered before but is there anything you want to know about irish history/culture etc since you've been gone ?

anything you want to know about me ?

go de t? sl?n

b

Padraic

Padraic

Now those are some questions that will take some time to reply to. In short, I went to sleep and woke up on a park bench in Northside Park in Norfolk. We had been involved in a rather one sided engagement with HMS Leopard and I received a slight wound, a splinter that hit me in the head and knocked me senseless for a while. I still have frequent headaches, so I wonder if there was more damage there than previously thought. The Brithsh captain took some prisoners off our ship and let us go. We came back to Norfolk to re-fit and the wounded, myself included, were taken ashore. I was lying in a bed, drifting in and out, and was briefly questioned by two suspicious looking fellows in officer's uniforms, but the memories of that are somewhat hazy. Upon waking up in the park, I thought I saw one of them waking away, but I cannot be entirely sure. Then the couple who took me in took notice of me and there ensued a brief conversation in which I was told the current date and the woman took a sympathetic bend and decided that I was someone who needed looking after.

It is hard to describe my initial reaction. I had a terrible headache and in part I must thought it was a strange dream. Just about everything was a bombardment on my senses and I had a difficult time taking it all in. The first thing I noticed was that people were dressed funny and their watches were on their wrists instead of in their pockets. Automobiles were somewhat of a shock. I almost was struck by one attempting to cross a street. I saw it some distance away, figured I had plenty of time to cross, and then it was upon me faster than I figured should be possible. No carriage had ever moved that fast before, at least not in my experience.

Biggest waste of technology. That is a loaded question and one I would have to contemplate for some time. Today's culture is extremely wasteful on the whole, which was something else that perplexed me. Everything is disposable. We have disposable plates, cutlery, cups, etc. I would say that paper plates are an extreme waste, but those are not what one would call a technological marvel. The dishwasher strikes me as somewhat wasteful, since it does something we are quite capable of doing ourselves and much more water is used to run it. We have one and I use it on occasion myself, but now and then it strikes me as something that encourages sloth. People also use their automobiles for short trips way too much. What is wrong with walking a mile or two to pick up that one item from the store? It is no wonder that more people are out of physical condition now than before. Nuclear weaponry is something else I have always thought wasteful, considering the amount of money it costs to build one and the number of times they are actually used. It seems to me a strange endeavor to manufacture ordnance that does not serve an everyday military purpose or in the act of being used will always cause undue suffering to the civilian population. I am by no means an expert on today's military, however, so perhaps some learned people in this area could school me in the need for these weapons. Since I was not around during the so called "cold war", I fear I cannot relate to what the arms race was all about. If I take more time in consideration of this question, no doubt I will come up with more, but that is what is coming to the forefront of my mind at the moment.

I did not believe the moon story at first, but after touring the Air Force museum in Dayton, I saw many other things that were somewhat difficult to grasp. By that point, I had accepted what had happened to me and that I was not having some sort of extremely vivid dream. Upon seeing the exhibits about the history of the space program and what had been done, I was fascinated that we had managed to accomplish such a feat. I am still surprised that we have not done more there since then. One would expect there to be some sort of base or settlement there by now, at least something along the lines of the "space stations" I have read about. Why did we stop going?

I had a wife then, but we were not married that long. She died in childbirth and the baby was lost as well. That is what eventually drove me to the Navy.

About five years ago, I was doing some research in a library to see if I could find any records of myself. I found a photo copy of an old muster from my ship on microfilm in an archive and the letters DD were written next to my name. That stood for discharged dead in my day. I do not know what drove them to assume that I was dead. One would think they would have listed me as missing or as deserted. The odd thing I also found was that someone else with my surname was on the ship in 1813 during the action with the Shannon. I don't know where he came from, since I was not aware of anyone else in Norfolk at the time with my last name, but perhaps he came from other parts.

Even before I came here, I have always been interested in the medieval period, so the first movie I saw here was Braveheart. I had seen television already and my adopted "father" (for lack of a better word) had tried to explain to me that there were methods of capturing moving images and being able to show them later, so by the time I went into a movie theater, the experience was not a total shock. I did enjoy the movie extremely, but it was something of an assault on the senses until I was made to understand that the battle scenes were all faked. I still marvel at how some of what I saw on that screen could be made to look so real without anyone actually being harmed. I do enjoy films and I do believe that they are a powerful medium of communication because they have the ability to completely immerse the viewer in a different world for a period of time. I have a difficult time watching ones depicting my time period, though, because of my tendency to pick at all the details that are gotten wrong. The modern perception of that time is somewhat skewed and what you will see in the history books is by no means accurate in its entirety.

Learning to use a computer was not that easy, but on the other hand it was not really that difficult either. There is still much that I do not know. I can only do the basics of the internet and email. I mostly use it for my work. The company has a web site where I can keep tabs on clients' accounts and print documents. My new "mother" taught me how to type by extreme repetition, the same method I learned my duties onboard the ship as well. I feel that the rapid advancement of computer technology was somewhat to my advantage, given that I felt like I was learning all the new things along with everyone else. It took me about two months before I got to where I could type without looking at the keys and now, some ten years later, I find that I type roughly 80 words a minute. I do not know if that is good or bad, but I feel like my fingers are positively flying. My penmanship, as a result, has declined drastically from lack of use.

I have never heard that radio show. I have heard about it, but I have never listened to it. I would have to hear it some before I could ever decide whether or not to go on there as a guest, and even then, it would take some time to consider before making a decision like that. It would have to be anonymous, since from the time I arrived here, it has been my endeavor to blend in with this world as much as I can. I figure that I am now here for the long haul and I must make the most of it. I have a good wife (who blissfully knows nothing of my past) and a good career. I would not mind having some answers to my questions. I have always wondered how I came to be here, but perhaps the answer would take me into areas that I would rather not venture into. Time will tell.

I was about to post this, but now I see the other post asking about my work. The division of Citigroup I am with is Primerica. The work is commission based, but anyone who puts in the time will earn a living at it. We are called "personal financial analyst" in the company. It's more or less the title the company gives us since what we do is analyze someone's personal situation and figure out ways to help them reach their goals. I have not yet been licensed for annuities, I am not familiar with this Elliott Wave, and I have not read any books by the other fellow you mention either. I also do not think I am familiar with anything out of Austria other than music. About projected markets, I do not have that information in front of me at the moment and I am not comfortable with venturing guesses. By the way, what is SNL?

Regards,

Padraic

Padraic

Padraic

Cerial,

I do not know what happened to the other board. Maybe that Chronohistorian fellow had something to do with it. He was a real piece of work. The main question I have about Ireland is regarding the famine of the 1840s. I have done some reading about it and it seems to stick out as a major landmark event in the history of the Irish people. How well is it still remembered? Are there stories of it still passed down? Does the memory of it have much of an effect on attitudes about the English? I am curious, since the stories of it, for obvious reasons, were not to be heard during my childhood. Do you have any opinions or insights about the situation in Ulster? I am somewhat curious what part you are from or currently reside in.

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe
Padraic

Patrick, please don't take my scepticism to heart. I am convinced, from our prior conversation over at Gav's Board, that you haven't, but I wish to let everyone else know that we are Gentlemen of a certain understanding.

I consider you good company, I have enjoyed your wit and the manner in which you weave your tale and I am genuinely pleased that you are here. I would like to know more about you, the now and the then of your life, to this end, I will be certain to maintain a standard of good company as you yourself display.

That said, crack on dear fellow and share your tale, safe in the company of our little Community. >:D<

DadOf5

Padraic

Originally posted by Padraic@Aug 17 2004, 11:33 AM
Nuclear weaponry is something else I have always thought wasteful, considering the amount of money it costs to build one and the number of times they are actually used. It seems to me a strange endeavor to manufacture ordnance that does not serve an everyday military purpose or in the act of being used will always cause undue suffering to the civilian population. I am by no means an expert on today's military, however, so perhaps some learned people in this area could school me in the need for these weapons. Since I was not around during the so called \"cold war\", I fear I cannot relate to what the arms race was all about.

The acronym for the arms race during the cold war is probably one of the most accurate in history. It was called MAD for Mutually Assured Destruction. The point was to build so many nuclear weapons that if any country started a nuclear war, they could be assured that they would also be destroyed in retaliation. In its own peculiar way, it was a deterrent to nuclear war.

The arms race was also a driving factor in the ending of the cold war. The arms were so expensive to manufacture that in tryng to keep up with the United States, the Soviet Union drove itself to financial ruin. The failing Soviet economy was a large factor in the collapse of the Soviet Union.