Terraforming

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Re: Terraforming

You're right.
Every electron, by its nature, is a small magnet (see Electron magnetic dipole moment). Ordinarily, the countless electrons in a material are randomly oriented in different directions, leaving no effect on average, but in a bar magnet the electrons are aligned in the same direction, so they act cooperatively, creating a net magnetic field.
Wiki
When the electrons cooperate, it makes a magnet that we can use to "exert attractive or repulsive forces" on different materials. The effects we get depend of the materials we use.

Sorry, I wasn't clear :eek:

Num7

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Well, I think that it's about curves in space time. A body like the sun is big and heavy, so it curves the space time, and it creates gravity. The Earth does the same, so it can keep the moon in orbit, instead of leting it go away. It depends on the weight.
Gravitation is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass attract each other, and is one of the fundamental forces of physics. In everyday life, gravitation is most commonly thought of as the agency that gives objects weight. It is responsible for keeping the Earth and the other planets in their orbits around the Sun; for keeping the Moon in its orbit around the Earth, for the formation of tides; for convection (by which hot fluids rise); for heating the interiors of forming stars and planets to very high temperatures; and for various other phenomena that we observe. Gravitation is also the reason for the very existence of the Earth, the Sun, and most macroscopic objects in the universe; without it, matter would not have coalesced into these large masses and life, as we know it, would not exist.
Wiki

Num7

kcwildman

Beastmaster

could be I don't know. I still think it is connected to magnetics some how.
they are just to much alike for it not to be a form of magnetic field

Num7

Administrator
Staff

In fact, they have almost the same effect, but on different scales.
Gravity have effects on everything, but works on a larger scale.

If a rock is bigger than me, it's not going to attract me.
But if a planet bigger than Earth gets here, we're gonna be attracted by that planet.

Num7

kcwildman

Beastmaster

so now we are back to what I said befor
if the mag. is strong enough, it is gravity. it has to be an atomic level affect on all matter.
I thnik:confused: but I just don't know how to prove. :mad:

kcwildman

Beastmaster

well how bout this
an atom is a small solar system. with its own gravity, holding the electron, protons, in there rotations. just like the sun holds our planets in there place.
so it must be an atomic level event. we should be able to reproduce it with a super magnet. it should act on an atomic level too. pulling on the like charged particals of each atom in any thing that has mass. every thing we can see, touch, smell, even air has mass.
it all seems so simple to me but I aint realy all that smart so don't listen to a savage to closely.

Num7

Administrator
Staff

I must admit I can't argue on that one.
I understand each of these concepts (I think I do), but I can't explain why they don't interact more one with each other. Even if they are on different scales, they don't interact much.

kcwildman

Beastmaster

I have my I think so's, but in the end, I know its all realy way past me and my farmboy ways. but I do have fun pondering the mystreys of the vers.