Three Laws of Chronodynamics

JRSpencer

Re: Three Laws of Chronodynamics

Wow. Impressive, Chrono. But hold on. I like how your posts ends, Mike and Doc Andy leave '05 never to return and puts Mike's family through grief for the remainder of their natural lives, but it works none the less.

I should have further explained the divergence in the timeline since I referencing Back to the Future. When Andy went forward and learned of his death he decided to send Mike back in some hope of saving them both; he thought it would be too dangerous to visit his younger self. So Mike's presence in 1975 creates a divergent timeline (not a different worldline) because Mike is there. (It's a different dynamic then BTTF 1 since McFly's presence in 1955 was accidental and this is a deliberate action.)

I tried to display that the future does not necessarily have to be fixed (relative future from the POV of the visitor). Imagine mediums or psychics who had visions of the immediate future; someone is stabbed, hit by a car, kidnapped and raped. They attempt to prevent this occurrances by warning to intended victims. (Better yet think of Minority Report.)

Remember BTTF 1? Doc in 1955 is now aware about the Libyan attack. George's lifestyle will be different since he stood up to Biff and knocked him out. The reality will appear altered from Marty's POV when he returns home. As time moves forward gradually, Marty is born in June 1968 and he grows up with a different life then the "other" Marty that will return at 1:24 AM on October 26, 1985. The world as a whole is still the same; it's just the personal reality from McFly's frame of reference that's changed. He had no clue Doc was wearing a flack jacket and survived the gunfire. Recall Marty's reaction when he read to time worn, taped-together letter.

So when Mike returns to the altered reality Andy is still living. The reality where Andy went to the future to discover his own death is an alternate one since when Andy tested the machine and journeyed to March 16, 2009, he saw no reports that he was deceased. However, he did know that eventually Mike would need to be sent back to 1975 to keep this reality intact and did so. (You're aware of predestination paradox aka causal loops.)

PSY101

I would just like to make a point.

Have you guys seen "The Time Machine" with Guy Pearce?

Now in this movie, Guy's Character, has a fianc? that gets shot by a gentleman thief in the bushes away from the ice rink at the lake. He is so upset that he uses the time machine to go back about 15 minutes before she dies and takes her to a different part of the lake. She does not die by the gentleman thief and then they walk towards the shops and Guy's character walks into a shop to buy her some flowers (I think!) while she waits outside. Then something spooks a horse drawn carriage that careens its way towards his fianc? and runs her over. He doesn't see this until he hears the commotion and comes running outside to see her dead AGAIN!

Anyway the point to this part is that he tries so many times to save her life by going back in time to before she gets killed so that he can change the course of events leading up to her death to enable them to be married.

I view this as she was never meant to live and he was never meant to be married to her. I know that sounds bad but that's what I got from the movie.

I ask for your thoughts on this and what relation it has to the three laws?

JRSpencer

I shouldn't answer that question (I'll leave it for Chrono since they're his laws. But I'll add my two cents anyway.)

I surmised that his fianc? is fated to die. All that changed were the circumstances of her death due to his interference. Since she was shot near the lake originally, Guy's character didn't know of the horse carriage. He left the woman only to witness her death in another fashion moments later.

Also, her death was the reason he created the machine; he didn't create from his own free will. The character had the means to do it, but he had yet to. Since it's a movie, it is confined to its plot, but if something like this happened in reality I don't know how he would save her and still build his machine. This is speculation, but if he saves her, he would need to understand the cause and effect of the situation.

The event he is trying to change has created memory patterns for him. This would mean that changing this event would result memory change or loss. All events that have shaped his past and all living memory are included in this effect. The loss would not take place if a past event is altered and he managed to inform himself of what occurred.

Sadly, her death is essential since it is the cause of Pierce's character building the machine.

Chronodynamic Jim

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"PSY101\")</div>
I would just like to make a point.

Have you guys seen \"The Time Machine\" with Guy Pearce?
[/b]

Yes. Biggest pile of maggot-ridden dog excrement to ever spoil the silver screen.

Unless you give me a good reason, I will not discuss that waste of time.

P.S. My appologies to piles of maggot-ridden dog excrement everywhere for the comparison.

StarLord

Even the Time Gods may not be cheated when Fate is in the works. If it's time to go it's time to go. I wonder where that fits in the 3 rules? What do you say Jim?
Is it possible to elude TPB when your number is called? Do you settle for a loop in time avoiding the deadline or is there a way to avoid it?

Chronodynamic Jim

JRSpencer, I thought I explained myself with my other longwinded post, but your response gives me doubt. So, let me be frank. According to the Chronodynamic Laws, altering events be they past present or future is Not Possible. Under any circumstances. To understand, try re-telling your story without making use of parralel universes, divergent timelines or other such nonsense. Refer back to the section on First Law in my above post.

Or ask Lucidus to explain it.

Oh, and re-read my alian invasion story untill you see why the ending Lucidus gave was inevitable.

Chronodynamic Jim

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"StarLord\")</div>
Even the Time Gods may not be cheated when Fate is in the works. If it's time to go it's time to go. I wonder where that fits in the 3 rules? What do you say Jim?[/b]

I say I don't believe in fate. I believe you reap what you sow. If someone gets smacked by a bus, it's more likely due to poor peripherial vision than some cosmic plan. I am a firm believer in Free Will.
That being said, I also believe that Free Will is not sufficient to allow someone to change the past any more than it is sufficient to alow someone to walk off a cliff without falling to their death.
For instance if someone traveled one day into the future and observed their future self get creamed by a bus, they are powerless to avoid that eventuallity. Free Will was what caused them to step in front of that bus, so no one can use it to weasel their way out of it.