Torture Condoned by the US Govt.

Zoomerz

Re: Torture Condoned by the US Govt.

DW; 100%, and then some. Nice post.

Star; 100% too.

There's still no reason to condone "criminal" abuses, and I would prosecute every one of those (such as rape, etc., when done by persons for their own gratification), but that's generally not the type of *advertised* abuses we're hearing about. And those that we're hearing about are unreasonably costing the lives and futures of our GOOD soldiers.

Z-

Judge Bean

Re: Torture Condoned by the US Govt.

Just in order that everyone will be able to understand the problem as clearly as possible, let me give you an idea of the careful classifications of accused persons here. Remember that it is illegal for the government to punish anyone who has not been afforded Constitutional due process; this is not the idea of the ACLU or bleeding-heart liberals. Many of the inventors of this process of equal protection and due process and fair trial were slaveowners; I say nothing of the torture or inhumane treatment of Americans for three centuries.

A prisoner of war enjoys the protections of the Geneva Conventions, which have been and continue to be violated in Iraq and Afghanistan if the prisoners of the military and CIA are classified as prisoners of war. Bush declares his war to be a war, and he has ordered a number of enemy combatants held prisoner.

A prisoner of the federal government enjoys the protections of the Constitution, which have been and continue to be violated in Iraq, Afghanistan, and in the cases of detained terrorist suspects. Bush has declare them to be beyond the reach of the civil law or Constitution due to the exercise of his war powers.

A detainee of the federal government under the presidential Internment power or the Enemy Alien Act is a person suspected of collusion, espionage, or treasonous sentiments or acts held indefinitely or until the treatied cessation of hostilities on Executive Order, and has the recourse to an attorney and habeas corpus. Bush has not designated his detainees specifically as Enemy Aliens under these laws.

Don't mix and match the categories, or you run the risk of one day having them blended and bent in order to keep you and your family

detained.