Well, well, well...

The_Ruffneck

Well, well, well...

Originally posted by Mudpuppy+Nov 20 2004, 11:32 AM--><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-StarLord@Nov 19 2004, 09:12 PM
Yes, that's about as close to the topic as you could get. I hope Nelson gets here soon, we're out of popcorn and milk duds.

Well, I have nothing really noteworthy to add. I just popped in to bring a fresh supply of %!*@?!! jujubes, milkduds and popcorn. :)

Mudpuppy
[snapback]15710[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Just like the movies , I always enjoy a good comedy

August

Well, well, well...

Mudpuppy,

Thanks for the movie reference. I will rent it, though methinks you were not impressed.

I point to the Apollo 11 analog; you don't debate on who is best to send. You just send the person you know will get back. You send the people with "the right stuff", give them everything they need to bring stuff back, say a prayer, and stick to your monitors and instruments. Yeeha!

August

pauli

Well, well, well...

I would like to know how it is that you're piggybacking off of this neighbor of yours. Doesn't he notice the added activity? Aren't nearly all wireless connections encrypted? From what I understand, it would take someone on the low end of the computer literacy spectrum to not know how to protect their connection. How far away from this connection are you? What kind of equipment are you using?

Ah, Heggy, unfortunately this is much more common than you think. I have seen several newsprograms on television where they had a hacker walk up and down a street with a laptop that had a wireless card. In the last example, about two weeks ago, they found ten or so different homes with wireless connections and of those ten only four had passwords or encryption codes. And, from my own experience, I went to a home where my friends were staying two months ago. My friend, who is a computer programmer, had his laptop on and was surfing the net. I asked him how he was doing it, being as they were only staying there temporarily while their own home was going through rewiring. My friend told me, "Someone around here has a wireless connection without a password; I just opened up my laptop and it works." So, yes, this can happen anywhere with extreme ease. Unfortunately there are a lot of computer illiterates out there.

Mudpuppy

Well, well, well...

Originally posted by pauli@Nov 21 2004, 08:33 PM
I would like to know how it is that you're piggybacking off of this neighbor of yours. Doesn't he notice the added activity? Aren't nearly all wireless connections encrypted? From what I understand, it would take someone on the low end of the computer literacy spectrum to not know how to protect their connection. How far away from this connection are you? What kind of equipment are you using?

Ah, Heggy, unfortunately this is much more common than you think. I have seen several newsprograms on television where they had a hacker walk up and down a street with a laptop that had a wireless card. In the last example, about two weeks ago, they found ten or so different homes with wireless connections and of those ten only four had passwords or encryption codes. And, from my own experience, I went to a home where my friends were staying two months ago. My friend, who is a computer programmer, had his laptop on and was surfing the net. I asked him how he was doing it, being as they were only staying there temporarily while their own home was going through rewiring. My friend told me, "Someone around here has a wireless connection without a password; I just opened up my laptop and it works." So, yes, this can happen anywhere with extreme ease. Unfortunately there are a lot of computer illiterates out there.

I concur with Pauli. When I bought my wireless laptop in January I had problems connecting so I went into the Dell site for support and starting reading postings first. While the majority needed help, one lucky guy posted how he never had to do anything. He just hooked up and was connected to the internet. Another poster replied to him and told him one of his neighbors had wireless and that's how he was getting on. He wasn't paying for it or anything. So, I agree with Pauli that it happens far more frequently than we realize.

Well, well, well...

I'll also have to say that using someone else's wireless network is pretty simple, since many forget to turn security for their network on. It reminds me of the story about the guy with the unprotected network, which late one night the printer went on. The next day, the guy came to his computer, and found that his neighbor printed the page of the wireless manual telling how to turn on security.

StarLord

Well, well, well...

Ohio must be tres interesting for our chap Nelson. Perhaps he will help settle the number disparity and return back to some other timeline from where he started and have to convince them that he is a hero.

Some of the larger cities have wireless nodes /points whre a whole building is hooked up and if you are close enough you can get on. Some of the cafes are happy to state that they have wireless nodes. About a year ago, someone up north came up with a wireless "antenna" made from beer cans and wire that uped the range considerably.

Ok Nelson, what do you have to say for yourself this week?

Judge Bean

Well, well, well...

What of the chances that the Coyote boy and the Admiral Perry boy are... [drumroll]...one and the same!

This is on the basis of the "Shakespeare was actually Marlowe" theory, that is, when one dies just as the other appears, and both have closely similar talent, the most recent one may be no more than a reincarnation.

sosuemetoo

Well, well, well...

I'm locking this thread now. It has turned into trash. We will be putting into the trash can tomorrow.

I have PM'd Perry Nelson telling him to PM me if he returns. We will open the thread and remove it from the trash should he return.

Mom

PyRo99

Well, well, well...

Some Trash Can.

However, look who has recently registered...and look at the beginning of the thread... :ninja: