What I've Learned about Alligators

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Alligators can bond with people, but they are very skiddish. They aren't loyal like dogs. They will save themselves first by leaving, like cats. They do "like" or "prefer" certain people and have stranger anxiety. This only protects them, because humans are dangerous.

Most alligators wander within a 2 mile radius. They seem to know where water is by instinct, much like turtles. But, it appears that an alligator that doesn't feel threatened and has an excellent food source, will stay in a particular pond, returning when they temporarily wander off. They will defend their territory against other alligators.

Anything an alligator can't or won't eat is an automatic threat to an alligator. Buddy is (thankfully) afraid of cats and raccoons. Don't worry, I've trained all my cats to stay away from the water.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
One day you'll get too close and it be good night mary.

I've been hanging with him since he was a baby. Gators arch their neck before attacking. I've been closely studying his behavior, and I stay away from his mouth. I don't go near the larger gators. They don't know me. Most are afraid of humans and leave quickly. The key is stay out of the water and stay away from the edge.