What should we do when we spot a confirmed fake / alt-account?

What should we do when we spot a confirmed fake / alt-account*?

• Ban it

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Let it be

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

Wind7

Staff
When a user becomes banned, it's usually for a good reason.

When they return under a different name, it is up to forum moderators and administration to utilize the software that exposes the troll by matching IP Addys.

A forum that I once was a member of, used V Bulletin software and had a blocker for IP addresses that made it extremely difficult for the trolls to return.

Sock puppetry got you permanently removed from the forum...no questions asked.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
I personally think fake accounts are annoying. There may be rare instances that members of the same household connect, but if that's not the case, I'd delete the extra accounts and issue the original a warning. If they do it again, then ban.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Give them the time traveler test: "Please answer the question I haven't asked you yet!" Failing the test for the umpteenth time will definitely be a condemning signature.
I like the idea of that test, generally speaking.

But if someone fails the test or can't do it for some reasons. What happens? This person should still be welcome to take part in the discussion, like you and I, right?

NaturalPhilosopher

I like the idea of that test, generally speaking.

But if someone fails the test or can't do it for some reasons. What happens? This person should still be welcome to take part in the discussion, like you and I, right?
it's not a good test cuz it assumes they have a motivation to reveal themselves.

they're not our employees, they're guests.

be polite
and make friends.

Last edited: